Home

Q&A answered

Guest DarthMaulUK

I could just send a link to Wookiepedia but I just happen to be in a storytelling mood.

IG-88 was an assassin droid... but he was destroyed mere seconds before he could send the order when the death star was destroyed.

Hey Valter does it say on Wooki the source of this story? This version sounds typically sensationalist like alot of EU stuff. IG-88 cant just break his bonds he has to nearly achieve galactic domination...c'mon. In one of SWRPG sourcebooks it had a cool background, and much more tame where IG-88 was one of about 7 assassin droids who escaped. Most were destroyed but IG-88 was good enough to elude destruction and took up bounty hunting. There was also a short story where he intercepted Boba as he approached tatooine and tried to capture him to steal solo from him and get the bounty for himself, however Fett was too good and destroyed IG-88 in IG-2000.

Im interested to read the story about IG and his uprising but I could not see the Empire tolerating IG or doing business with him if he was such a threat; and the idea of one central computer controlling the whole DS2 is pretty ludicrous. It'd have to be some CPU! I doubt even an advanced droid could handle such processing ability. Still worth a read...IG is cool. Good to see he makes an appearance.

Actually, both of those stories have their origins in the SWRPG. The DS component was fleshed out in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. But I'm with you on this one: the story was a pseudophilosophical piece of crap. (What do you expect from a trashy sci-fi entitled "I Think Therefore I Am?") I liked her writing style, but it was just unbelievable.

I think the "Tales"-series of short stories ("Tales of the Bounty Hunters", "Tales from Jabba's Palace", etc.) were supposed to be What If sort of exercises. They weren't canon, just some authors getting permission to tell the stories of some of the background characters from the movies. If you like them, fine; if not, just ignore them.

I thought The Tales of the Bounty Hunters series was well written. Sure, IG-88 taking over the Death Star is unbelievable, but then again, so is the rest of Star Wars! :xp: It's no more unbelievable than Palpatine cloning himself.

Anarch, Star Wars canon is ever changing so you can't really say what's true and what's not. Fiction just doesn't work that way.

Thanks chaps, I will have to check it out. I didnt get into that series (not deliberately) though I found some of the comic books about Boba interesting. I will have to track it down.

The changes in canon and rewriting of history annoys me a little but with so many authors and products out there its inevitable. Its hard to know what's what anymore, and which takes precedence. EaW is already contributing/shaping SW history, which some may find cool, and others may have a problem with.

Yeah, I have the Encyclopedia too. Quite a massive tome. :D

There is indeed something like a Star Wars bible: It's callled "The New Essential Chronology", and if you want to have a look you can click HERE

It doesn't cover everything by itself, only the timeline, but along with the other Essential guides (see bottom of the page in the link above) you ought to find pretty much anything you're looking for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived