Home

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 for xp?

Lantzen

After much looking around in my house, i found my Dark Forces 2 cd's, but i can't get it to work. When i have install it, it say i most update to directX 5, so i do it, but then when i press start again, it say one more time i most update. And the game wont let me start it until i have updated it

Well, DX5 is way obsolete. Don't install it! Instead, install the latest official stable version from Microsoft.com or other trusted sites. Just skip the dx5 installation on the JK discs. You don't need it to play, as a newer version will work just fine.

Installing 5.0 over a newer version may be causing you problems, so (if possible) UNinstall 5.0 and install the latest version instead, then install JK WITHOUT the DX5 step, and then install the official 1.01 JK patch. Things should be fine...

You may need a registry cleaner program to remove traces of the old data though, I recommend Registry Mechanic. Though there are ways to do it manually by deleting certain registry keys, one must be careful or risk goofing up windows (and forcing you to reinstall windows).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can try running it in compatability mode. Personally I say just run the exe directly from the CD (jk.exe) rather than the launcher (which will try to get you to install DX5).

It's quite possible to run the entire JK series under XP. Yoda's Help Desk at LucasArts.com also has some tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright now I have rediscovered Jedi Knight and want to play it again with this modificatrion:

http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=242

The Problem is that this thread didn't really provide me with an answer on how to run it under XP SP2 with the JK 1.01 Patch.

Compabillity Mode doesn't work, neither does running the .exe directly from the cd.

All I get is a black screen for a millisecond and that's it.

Pahricida : One of my friend seems to be having the same problem. He tried using the compatibility mode, and it doesn't work. The same thing also happens to him with Force Commander (we used to play lots of FC together, and we wanted a rematch :)). He has a very decent, streamlined PC (WinXP, 512 RAM, known vid card (Radeon something; not an obscure thing), etc.).

Strangely enough, I can run all of these old games on both my desktop and laptop (both WinXP with similar specs).

I know this is not informative at all, but I'm just acknowledging the fact that some of the "universal tricks" don't work sometimes. If anyone has an idea, I'd be interested as well. I'll try to check Yoda's desk later though (LA's site seems to be down right now).

EDIT: So I've checked Yoda's desk at lucasarts.com, and didn't find anything interesting. Sad. :(

Based on over 2 years of experience helping many people editing and playing JK, I have these suggestions:

1. Do NOT install the DirectX 5 stuff that is part of the JK installation. Most likely an XP system will have a much more recent DirectX already installed.

2. Do NOT use any compatibility mode; JK and MotS run just fine without them.

3. Do NOT install LucasArts' 1.01 patch. It only fixes an obscure joystick bug, and the (exe) patches on the JK Editing Hub will not work with 1.01.

4. Please describe what you mean when you say "it doesn't work". Does JK's installation finish? What is the error message that shows up? At what part of setting up or running JK does it mess up? Does JK crash (JK closes unexpectedly) or freeze (won't let you do anything with JK, but shows the last screen you were on)?

5. Do NOT run JK's launcher; run the JK.EXE file directly. Do NOT run the JK.EXE from the CD; run JK.EXE from the hard drive where JK is installed.

6. If you can open JK, but it crashes when going into game, then the video settings within JK are likely the cause. This can occur even if JK worked the last time, because there are times when JK "randomly" selects the wrong mode; you just need to double-check the settings to make sure they are correct. Open JK, choose your player, click on "Setup", and then click on "Display". Verify that the selected mode under "Avaliable Video Modes" is correct for your video card. If in doubt, choose 640x480; if that setting crashes JK when you go into game, then a video driver is likely the problem.

:)

Followed all your hints.

Didn't work so I ran the game through dependancy walker.

I start the .exe the screen goes black for a blink and the only error it returns:

GetProcAddress(0x75250000 [MSCTFIME.IME], "ImeGetImeMenuItems") called from "IMM32.DLL" at address 0x76337374 and returned NULL by thread 1. ERROR: The declared process could not be found (127).

UPDATE:

My copy is a localized legal redistribution released around 2000.

Although many files were still dated 1997 some have been updated.

The game ONLY runs, when I rename the JK.EXE into anything else.

Followed all your hints.

Didn't work so I ran the game through dependancy walker.

I start the .exe the screen goes black for a blink and the only error it returns:

GetProcAddress(0x75250000 [MSCTFIME.IME], "ImeGetImeMenuItems") called from "IMM32.DLL" at address 0x76337374 and returned NULL by thread 1. ERROR: The declared process could not be found (127).

UPDATE:

My copy is a localized legal redistribution released around 2000.

Although many files were still dated 1997 some have been updated.

The game ONLY runs, when I rename the JK.EXE into anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I have install problem with JK dark forces 2. if I click the install button (from the launcher screen ) installer won't appear and then launcher window closes. If I try to run setup.exe , nothing happends and same thing with jedi.exe. compatibility mode don't work.

specs: amd athlon ( barton ) 3000+, 1024 MB, Nvidia 7800 GS (newest drivers ). Windows XP sp 2

Guest Upgrade

the reason its not working is because the driver is different. XP has a better driver then 98 does. The only way to get it working fast is to download a special XP patch for the game. That will make it work automaticly

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not able to play Jedi Knight Dark forces II either. I get a similar message:

"JK.exe has encountered a problem and must close"

Funny thing is, if I don't enable 3D Acceleration (duh!), it runs OK in gorgeous 8-bit colors. But on 16bit colors it gives me that message as soon as the first level finishes loading.

I've read through most posts here and tried it all. Maybe it would be better to know what the gamers who have no issues are doing with it.

I'm running:

Windows XP Professional SP2

Core2 Duo E6400

EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB

1GB RAM

Try unchecking the "backbuffer in system memory" box in the display setup (in-game).

If it's already unchecked, try checking it.

There is an advanced display properties tab, but I forget how to get it with the command line with the EXE.

However there is an option to run it automatically using Patch Commander (a free third party program). In the advanced display properties there are some options you can try messing with (although it only advises you to do this in consultation with LucasArts technical support).

http://www.jediknight.net/commander/

Good luck! I don't have XP, but trust me, the entire DF/JK series should run under XP, just like it does under 2000!

Thanks. I followed your advice.

=(

When I download the Patch Commander and attempt to run it, Windows says it's "not a valid W32 aplication."

I have a feeling Windows XP SP2 and my GeForce 8800 just don't like to play old Windows games.

=(

Thanks. I followed your advice.

=(

When I download the Patch Commander and attempt to run it, Windows says it's "not a valid W32 aplication."

I have a feeling Windows XP SP2 and my GeForce 8800 just don't like to play old Windows games.

=(

Try downloading it again. If that doesn't work, try running it in compatability mode (Patch Commander that is).

Your video card should have nothing to do with it. This program runs under 2Kpro, which is based on the same architecture as XP, though I hear SP 2 screws up a lot of things.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a way around it. Do XP SP2 users just not play video games anymore except Halo and BF2?

Archived