Home

We need more feedback for saber hits and parries + limited lives.

Maxstate

OK - well if your taking back much of what you said, then that's fine. And perhaps this is all besides the point. But anyway, I'll respond to your post. This is all still relavent really, because this is also about where OJP goes from here...

I am interested in "outdoing" MBII but in different areas. How do you suppose we get new players to play our mod instead of MBII? Are you saying that OJP should just remain how it is now are you just referring to OJP's current status as "underdog mod" ? Yes I am interested in outdoing MB. I'm interested in showing my old MBII friends that there's another way you can have movie-like experiences and epic duels. And why is this bad? Are you afraid I'm going to steal your players or something? Sheesh..

I don't care that that is you're aim. I care that it's your aim whilst suggesting that MBII could help OJP out.

My ideal would be to have MBII and OJP players of equal amounts happily playing on servers.

If this is not a vision you share, then - again - fine. But I'll humbly ask you don't elude to our helping you towards that goal! And you bet I have every right to talk against that idea publically on these forums. I've personally contributed to OJP, I've never said anything bad about it, and I've made all MBII code avaliable to it. I think I've earned my floor-space - don't you?

I'm not afraid you're going to steal players. I'm pointing out the irony of talking like you want to, then talking about assistance from us in practically the same breath!

As far as where OJP goes from here, I see the pro's and con's of both arguments. If you do want to go for a class-like system, then yes - making it a siege mod gives you a lot of stuff for free. It makes sense. But we have done a lot of coding on the siege side to be honest. Especially for open mode. (Base jka siege is 'fixed' classes. It takes a bit of effort just to break that and have a bit of cutomisability...) We've done so much now that, if you were to put the same effort into other gametypes, you could still have a very good class-based system.

So you can do it either way I think. But you're right to say that going the siege root will get you there a bit faster. And I still think you can distinguish yourselves from MBII in various ways.

...the other advantage in going the siege route is that you can more easiely port MBII code over - which is freely avaliable to you.

And for your information I have brought several rants to the MB forums but they fall on deaf ears. Also ranting wouldn't be quite the right word as I was just pointing out the things I didn't like about MBII and it so happened to be on a different mod's forum.

Well, we must both have different definitions of ranting I guess.

And 'in your opinion' it falls on deaf ears.

Also has anyone noticed that the word "rivalry" hasn't even come up before more MBII players and developers started posting here?

I don't really think there is a rivalry now - not a general one. But OJP <-> MBII comparisons have always been around since they both existed. You're just one of the more vocal ones. At least you used to be (if your change of attitude is genuine...)

Noone here thinks it's rivalry to have a negative opinion on a mod and voice it...

Nor do I. It means you're voicing a personal opinion. Thankfully, you don't (or didn't) speak for OJP as a whole.

Why does talking or having an opinion on MBII suddenly make everything worse for me and OJP? Why is my freedom of speech and the right to have an opinion suddenly revoked to non-existance because I started about MBII? You don't have any more special privileges than OJP, JA+ or any other mod has. We wouldn't be discussing this if I was talking about Lugormod or Xmod.

You talking trash about MBII doesn't make anything worse for OJP. I'd still give out the B18 code to OJP even if you had 'Death to MBII' in your signature ;)

Again, this isn't a complaint about OJP as a whole...

More so, if this is something that has to do with me then take it to pm.

Yeap - ok. Just the same way you could have taken off-topic MBII stuff to PM in the past I suppose...

You know what? I've almost had it to here with this MBII vs. OJP talk.

So am I really. If your saying it's all in the past, then fine. So maybe just lay of comments like 'OJP could be played far past MBII ever will', and we'll all be happy. So if you're so sick of the OJP <-> MBII talk, why do you continue to do it?

Your first post in this thread wasn't 2 months ago...

I think you damn well knew what I meant in that post but it seems to be a sport to totally piss me over these days. Goddamnit I am so sick of this bull**** all the time! What do you want to get with your post really? What do you want to achieve? Am I really such a bad person for not liking MBII and voicing my opinion? I might be one out of 30.000 that doesn't like it, why can't you people concentrate on the 29.999 that do and less one the one that doesn't since you're not getting anything from clogging up threads with useless posts which will (I'm certain - this post is proof) undoubtedly instigate pseudo-flames. Take it to pm if you have anything more to say. I am seriously dying to hear more of how I should stop disliking MB for the sake of the OJP community.

You're not a bad person for disliking / hating MBII.

But it's hypocritical to talk down MBII while also talking about possible help from MBII. Make a choice please.

Jesus, I'm sorry.. I might as well just stop posting all together.

I'd hate to think a critism of a few posts would make you think you should stop posting altogether!

OK - well if your taking back much of what you said, then that's fine. And perhaps this is all besides the point. But anyway, I'll respond to your post. This is all still relavent really, because this is also about where OJP goes from here...

I don't care that that is you're aim. I care that it's your aim whilst suggesting that MBII could help OJP out.

My ideal would be to have MBII and OJP players of equal amounts happily playing on servers.

If this is not a vision you share, then - again - fine. But I'll humbly elude to our helping you towards that goal!

I'm not afraid you're going to steal playes. I'm pointing out the irony of talking like you want to, then talking about assistance from us in practically the same breath!

As far as where OJP goes from here, I see the pro's and con's of both arguments. If you do want to go for a class-like system, then yes - making it a siege mod gives you a lot of stuff for free. It makes sense. But we have done a lot of coding on the siege side to be honest. Especially for open mode. We've done so much now that, if you were to put the same effort into other gametypes, you could still have a very good class-based system.

So you can do it either way I think. But you're right to say that going the siege root will get you there a bit faster. And I still think you can distinguish yourselves from MBII in various ways.

...the other advantage in going the siege route is that you can more easiely port MBII code over - which is freely avaliable to you.

Well, we must both have different definitions of ranting I guess.

And 'in your opinion' it falls on deaf ears.

I don't really think there is a rivalry now - not a general one. But OJP <-> MBII comparisons have always been around since they both existed. You're just one of the more vocal ones. At least you used to be...

Nor do I. It means you're voicing a personal opinion. Thankfully, you don't (or didn't) speak for OJP as a whole.

the trick is, my compaint is directly to you. Not OJP.

If your serious about some of your past posting habits being truly past, then fair enough. I'm happy ;)

You talking trash about MBII doesn't make anything worse for OJP. I'd still give out the B18 code to OJP even if you had 'Death to MBII' in your signature ;)

Again, this isn't a complaint about OJP as a whole...

Yeap - ok. Just the same way you could have taken off-topic MBII stuff to PM in the past I suppose...

So am I really. If your saying it's all in the past, then fine. So maybe just lay of comments like 'OJP could be played far past MBII ever will', and we'll all be happy. Why can't you?

You're not a bad person for disliking / hating MBII.

But it's hypocritical to talk down MBII while also talking about possible help from MBII. Make a choice please.

I'd hate to think a critism of one post would make you think you should stop posting altogether!

Izzal good man, I apologise.

Good night.

Izzal good man, I apologise.

Good night.

Ok - cool.

And sorry I went on a bit :)

If you want the B18 code, no problem. Just holler... And if you want assistance in porting any MBII features into OJP, just give me or another MBII coder a shout... I don't know that any of us will have time to do all the porting ourselves, but we can certainly assist.

...oh - and that counts for assets as well. (At least to an extent that makes sense - it's something we can talk over...)

Good night to you too.

*starts to holler*

Well...you asked for it....

Anyway glad to see you're back to help things out, renegade!

Hey UMD ;)

And no problem. But I just want to be clear about this - MBII code has been avaliable for OJP to use since B17. Some people don't seem to realise this... I'm not suddenly helping out more than I have done in the past - MBII's code has always been avaliable for OJP to use whenever and however it likes (within reason).

And no problem. But I just want to be clear about this - MBII code has been avaliable for OJP to use since B17. Some people don't seem to realise this... I'm not suddenly helping out more than I have done in the past - MBII's code has always been avaliable for OJP to use whenever and however it likes (within reason).

Thanks Renegade, and good to see you here. We're still very happy to be affiliates of MB2 even though some of us got rubbed the wrong way by it. It just one of those things thats just bound to happen when you have a community the size of MB2's. I've always liked MB2 and hope one day we can do things even nearly as well as it has, but at the same time I dont ever want to see us in direct competition or anything like that.

At the moment we're very different mods and have been focusing on different things since long before I can here. While we're trying to find a unique overall direction, most our focus has been on the sabercombat. I hope you like what we've done with it. If you havent tried our newer betas, just ask us for a copy of the newest version or go to the repository if youre interested. The newest manual is sticky posted on this forum.

Anyways, thanks for your continuing willingness to share code and congradualations on The MB teams new build.

Would it be possible to post the rewritten code for how to parse the siege files so that the EOF error does not exist and so that it only loads the teams/classes for the current map?

I'll look into that for you - sure. Dont' remember the details off-hand, but I'll look into it tomorrow...

Thanks Renegade, and good to see you here. We're still very happy to be affiliates of MB2 even though some of us got rubbed the wrong way by it. It just one of those things thats just bound to happen when you have a community the size of MB2's.

Hey Hockey - sure, understood. And no problem :)

I've always liked MB2 and hope one day we can do things even nearly as well as it has, but at the same time I dont ever want to see us in direct competition or anything like that.

Understood. What'd I'd think is ideal is if you can at least take advantage of some of out stuff, but still go on a unique path somehow. Have you considered some kind of mix between MBII and FMIII? Donno - just shouting out ideas. I know many people have asked for an FFA version if MBII. And as I'm sure you know, we're not likely to be making one of those anytime soon ;)

Could be a 'gap in the market' for ya...

...although saying that, I know full well why MaxState is pushing for some element of LMS in the game. As far as I'm concerned, LMS is such an essential feature. It changes the dynamics and the experience of the game in so many different ways.

...but of course LMS is MBII's trademark. So if you want to avoid being MBII-like...

Or you go in a completely different direction. But then you can't take advantage of much MBII code.

It's a tough choice really...

Oh - and one more point about Siege implemetion. I'd actually say the objectives stuff is a much bigger deal than the class system. As I say, we actually had to do quite a bit of work to get a customisable class system into Siege. You could get a similar thing in other gametypes with similar effort I think.

But if you want to get objectives into other gametypes!! Now that would be a job I think...

At the moment we're very different mods and have been focusing on different things since long before I can here. While we're trying to find a unique overall direction, most our focus has been on the sabercombat. I hope you like what we've done with it. If you havent tried our newer betas, just ask us for a copy of the newest version or go to the repository if youre interested. The newest manual is sticky posted on this forum.

I really should give it a try when I have a chance. And I promise I'll make an effort to do so. I like a lot of the things I've heard about it. And of course Razor was always the saber system 'guru'...! No doubt I'd be impressed with what's been achieved...

Anyways, thanks for your continuing willingness to share code and congradualations on The MB teams new build.

No probs man! And thanks. Once the hotfix went out, it all turned out alright :)

• 1 year later...

Archived