Home

The Unofficial Star Wars: Force Unleashed Thread

Monkey Mania

I believe it's time for a proper Star Wars: Force Unleashed thread.

Coming to Xbox360 and PS3

From Star Wars Insider:

"Introduced as a tech demo and a concept trailer at E3 with the trailer shown publicly for the first time at this year's San Diego Comic-Con International, LucasArts is being very tight-lipped about specific story details on this next-generation game. We do know that it will bridge the period between Episodes III and IV. Written by LucasArts Project Lead and Dark Horse Comics writer Haden Blackman (Jango Fett: Open Season, Clone Wars) with close supervision and creative input from George Lucas himself, the game promises to be a grand next-generation debut.

"May the Super-Force Be With You"

The stunningly gorgeous concept trailer and tech demo we saw revealed a few interesting points about the new Jedi Force powers and the level of environmental destructibility being featured. The new set of Jedi abilities is being touted as the most extreme, over-the-top exhibition of Force powers ever seen in Star Wars--game or film. The "pre-vis" trailer featured Jedi disposing of stormtrooper squads with an impressive array of moves that included enhanced electricity, a devastating force push, a lightsaber shockwave slam, and levitating and throwing enemies.

Tech Attack

The game will also be one of the first (along with Indiana Jones 2007) to showcase two new, exclusive technical features: the incredible new euphoria behavioral simulation engine and highly destructable Digital Molecular Matter (DMM)-supported environments. Without delving into technobabble nonsense, the new euphoria technology inbues every character with a complex set of realistic behaviors that cause them to react intelligently to unscripted situations on the fly. At the same time, DMM-enabled environments and objects will behave just like they do in real-life with materials like metal and glass denting and shattering in an extremely realistic fashion without the use of animation, meaning objects do not break along predetermined lines as in current games. The game is also set to include a mixture of both new and familiar locations with the brightly colored fungus world of Felucia being the only confirmed setting we saw. And although no actual in-game footage has been revealed yet, LucasArts has been working closely with ILM to incorporate new cinematic techniques in designing the game's visuals."

star-wars-force-unleashed-untitled-20060726045442971.jpg

Video Link:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/823/823667/vids_1.html

Artwork for Hyperspace Members Only(sorry):

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/secrets/

I am pumped up about this game! :lsduel:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He stated this before, he doesn't like how uber powerful the force powers are.

10 e-dollars says those are the Force powers at their maximum level that you don't get until like the last level and the 1st level powers will be able to push something small like the telekinesis spell can in Oblivion (unless you get the Multitude of Magecraft mod).

Coming to Xbox360 and PS3
Does the Star Wars Insider article specifically say the game is for Xbox360 and PS3 but doesn't mention any other platforms?

Will use a NEW game engine built by LucasArts

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/721/721178p1.html

IGN: Why go to the trouble of creating an engine from scratch? Why not just grab some of the more recent tech like Unreal or Offset and then tweak or adjust it? It would have to be cheaper and less time-consuming, wouldn't it?

Blackman: Because of our relationships with some these other groups like NaturalMotion and Pixelux, and more importantly, because of our relationship with ILM (Industrial Light and Magic), we really felt that it was necessary to create our own engine and our own toolset. We want to leverage a lot of experience and tools, technology and film techniques in our next-generation games. In order to do that, we had to build what we did. We had a strong desire for that kind of synergy, and we went from there.

IGN: So just to be clear, who specifically is developing this engine? Is it LucasArts internally using the tools provided by its partners, or is it a more collaborative effort that's coming together in smaller pieces to make a larger whole?

Blackman: The engine is being developed internally here at LucasArts by experienced game development engineers. These are guys that have worked on many, many games in the past and guys who have worked on a number of really big titles. What we're doing is bringing in Pixelux's DMM technology and NaturalMotion's euphoria and combining them with a variety of different techniques that ILM uses. We honestly believe that using these technologies will result in better games.

In fact, we believe that the future of gaming is in simulation-based technologies and simulation-based gameplay. That's what we're getting with NaturalMotion and Pixelux. A large set of robust physics and biomechanical simulations are just what we're looking for.

In regards to our ILM relationship, that's something we've always felt was a LucasArts advantage -- we can use their technology for some really cool gameplay implications. They do some really amazing and dramatic things with physics on their own, for example, and it's teaching us how to do things that no will expect and do things that no one else in the industry can.

Sounds very cool but I wonder if they'll make it mod-friendly? Well, if it comes out for PC anyway. I'm with all those who hope the game comes out for PC because I don't plan to buy an Xbox 360 or PS 3.

But my heart longingly wonders... While Force Unleashed is being made, where art thou, KotOR III?
As does mine, o most evil one. :(

As a matter of fact, it does.

:vadar: - NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Cool concept art. I hope you won't be able to bring down captial ships with the Force, though.
:wstupid: 100% agree. That would really be "over the top."

ehhh what do I care? It's not coming out on PC.
Doesn't sound like it but there is always hope, right? ;)

Archived