Home

Steve Irwin is dead.

TK-8252

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I've just heard of this.

I looked over at fox news and the first thing I saw was "Steve Irwin 1962-2006." It took me a few moments to register what that meant. I wasn't exactly a fan but I'm still quite shocked. He always seemed kind of immune to danger because he would do crazy things and come out ok. That he would actually die by something like a stingray is pretty shocking.

People are shooting these dangerous documentaries all the time and they seem to always turn out all right. I figured it was only a matter of time before something went wrong and somebody got seriously hurt or worse. So I'm shocked but I can't say I'm really all that surprised. But he knew the danger and was happy to put himself in it to do what he loved doing, and that's all that really matters.

R.I.P. Steve Irwin, my sympathy goes out to his family.

At the risk of getting flamed, I will say this. It's wrong for us to act like he's an important person in death, when most of us wouldn't be talking about him otherwise. It's implying that death makes him a better person, worthy of talking about.

And related to the news, I think it ironic that he died from a stingray sting while making a documentary about "demistifying the stingray". Though a crocodile getting him would've been much more ironic.

I found out while I was listening to Triple J (a radio station) and I didn't believe it. Seriously, I thought it was a joke they were playing. I always thought that guy was immune to death, Actually I allways thought he was annoying. But, He was a very cool guy and his enthusiasm wasn't actually acted. He just had a huge passion for what he did.

RIP Stevo.

While this is an unqualified tragedy for his wife and young child (children??? I really haven't been paying attention...) as well as his worldwide audience of fans, I don't think it can really be found all that shocking to anyone who has witnessed some of his antics around some of the most dangerous creatures on Earth.

Was there ever an episode of his show where he didn't reach into the lair of some animal, only to be immediately stung or bitten for his efforts?

While I do appreciate his passion for his work, as well as all his efforts to demystify the animal kingdom for regular viewers who might never get a chance to see these creatures in person, up close and personal like he did, I've always thought he was awfully and dangerously cavalier around them at times. But I guess that's how you get ratings these days...

And let's face it,.. the headline: "Crocodile-Hunter dies while swimming with stingrays." can hardly be considered anywhere near as shocking as say,.. oh, I don't know... "Stephen Hawking dies while swimming with stingrays." :dozey:

Still, I never want to see anybody die with so much life still ahead of him. And he will no doubt be missed.

Archived