Home

Graphics Rendering thingy

HerbieZ

Found this here and thought it looked absolutely amazing. It's for some up and coming game called infinity. The demo looks absolutely awesome, i love the transition from planet to space. I have to say, if they used this sort of technology in Star Trek Online then id best be declared dead now because il never leave my computer ever again. An mmo of this scope would be as addictive as crack to me.

Edit: Can a mod move this, for some reason it posted in here instead of Ahto.

Looks okay, but why on Earth can you see Saturn or whatever Planet it is in the sky?

Presumably they have drastically shortened the distance between planets to make the game more fun to play. If it was mostly empty void with huge distances between stellar bodies, like real space tends to be, players would probably be bored before they got anywhere. :)

Fun is more important than realism in games, usually.

Sometimes planets are visible in the sky. They are in Oblivion and a fair few star wars planets. Yavin for one.

In real life several planets are visible in the sky to the naked eye, Mars and Venus most commonly around here. But they only look like spots of light, slightly brighter than stars. They'd have to be much closer to actually look like planets unless you watch them through a strong telescope. Distances in space are huge, even within the solar system. They claim that game will contain millions of worlds, and if they were spread out at "natural" distances players would have to FTL-travel past the void between them anyway to get anywhere interesting before dying of old age, thus making the whole "seamless" university rather pointless. :)

The "planets" in Oblivion aren't planets, they are the moons Masser and Secunda.

Since Yavin is a gas giant and the jungle moon is orbiting it, it would have been more strange if it wasn't visible from the moon's surface. :p

not too bad at all, although the surfaces of the space station looked a little flat, which is another way of saying that ther wasn't any real-mapping or bump-mapping done on the space station (although it was fairly well done on the planet surface).

definately a good display of graphics capabilities. kudos to the creators. :)

After googling to find out what the point of the video was, I must say I'm intrigued. The development team sure is ambititous. As an old fan of EVE, I can't wait to try this game out in a few years. From what I glanced at the site, it's going to be like what I always dreamed of (EVE+Freelancer). I especially like the part about total real time combat.

Hope they release a beta.

yeah, ive seen that. And that was played on a decent but not super duper spec'd compy :) Love to see that on an SLI/X-Fire rig :)

Just another reminder that next gen pc games are going to make next gen consoles games look forgettable. Dont spend all that $$$ on a Ps3, upgrade your pc!! With the left over change you can still get a Wii and play Zelda using the wiimote to swing your sword ;) = coolizm

mtfbwya

You guys should check out the Combat Prototype that's on the site. It reminds me a lot of X3: Reunion - minus the extreme sluggishness and lag.

I also find it interesting how it's being made using procedural programming. So odds are, there will be billions of planets in the game (that is if they model them all or something, don't know how that works).

It'd be pretty kick ass to form a LF player group and founding a base on some hidden undiscovered moon.

You guys should check out the Combat Prototype that's on the site. It reminds me a lot of X3: Reunion - minus the extreme sluggishness and lag.

I also find it interesting how it's being made using procedural programming. So odds are, there will be billions of planets in the game (that is if they model them all or something, don't know how that works).

It'd be pretty kick ass to form a LF player group and founding a base on some hidden undiscovered moon.

starwarsknights.com secret moon base. Now that would be awesome. I can see the admins sending the lackies on blue milk runs and me crashing my enormous starship into a planet.

Archived