Home

MI Movie - Who would compose the soundtrack?

Mr Cheese

If there were to be a Monkey Island movie of each game, who should compose the soundtrack. I was thinking Hans Zimmer because he composed the music for Pirates of the Carribean 2 and most of Pirates of the Carribean 1. But then again, Monkey Island should be unique from Pirates so maybe Harry Gregson-Williams, since he did a good job in Narnia, bringing the book to life.

I was thinking Hans Zimmer because he composed the music for Pirates of the Carribean 2 and most of Pirates of the Carribean 1.

Now you die! Hans Zimmer was good in Backdraft. The Rock was okay, Gladiator and POTC sounded like The Rock. Seriously, LucasTones/elTee made a soundtrack quiz and I was listening to all the tracks of the CD, sure it would be on there. It was POTC. MediaVentures crap.

Danny Elfman might be a good choice. Most just think about Tim Burton movies he scored, but he also did stuff like Red Dragon.

John Powell might be good. But if they really did make a movie, for me it couldn't work with at least some of the themes from the games.

One of the Newmen's should be able to do it, I can't remember the name though, not Randy and not David.

Thomas Newman, who did American Beauty, The Green Mile, Meet Joe Black and Nemo?

And who will score Young Hannibal: Behind The Mask. The title makes me shudder and I don't want to imagine the movie itself.

Yeah, that's the Newman I was thinking about, was thinking particularly about Nemo, but I think he also did "Lemony Snicketts, A Series of Unfortunate Events" and the theme tune to "Six Feet Under" (although his music does carry a generic theme, but he's still good).

Hans Zimmer's an okayish composer, but his work does tend to sound the same from movie to movie.

I liked Powell's music in The Italian Job (remake).

Now you die! Hans Zimmer was good in Backdraft. The Rock was okay, Gladiator and POTC sounded like The Rock. Seriously, LucasTones/elTee made a soundtrack quiz and I was listening to all the tracks of the CD, sure it would be on there. It was POTC. MediaVentures crap.

I was just pointing out that he was good at composing for pirate movies. I didn't mean that they were his best, just that they were good.

I was just pointing out that he was good at composing for pirate movies. I didn't mean that they were his best, just that they were good.

And I disagree even with that. It didn't sound swashbuckling at all, but just like one of his generic and repetitive action flick scores.

Aww, that's a bit harsh. But what of his Pirates of the Caribbean 2 score? Two Hornpipes, Dinner Is Served, Tia Dalma and Davey Jones were all very unique and suited to the environment of the movie. Yes, I guess his score for Pirates of the Caribbean 1 was pretty monotonous, but it works with the movie.

Yes, I guess his score for Pirates of the Caribbean 1 was pretty monotonous, but it works with the movie.

No, it doesn't. It distracts. You expect a humvee to speed around the corner and some helicopters blowing shít up.

From what I heard on Amazon.com, POTC 2's score might be better. Haven't seen the movie, so I can't say any more on that.

Mmmm Pirates of the Caribbean sound track is great, that composer would be fine, as long as he sticks to the MI original tunes.

Come on people. Can you really just associate "pirate" with "Pirates Of The Caribbean"? You know, there were some movies from the genre in the past.

You want me to bring out a big "older'n you"? Captain Horatio Hornblower, Treasure Island, Korngold...

• 3 weeks later...

Ah Family Guy, gotta love it. Spent last weekend watching season 3.

As for Randy though, he's alright, but he's also one of those composers who's music sounds very similar no matter what he does. Watch Toy Story, and then watch Meet the Parents, or Maverick, music styles are exactly the same.

I don't even love Monk. Sorry, I have a number of friends who think I'm weird not to like it and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people here were the same, but I really don't see the appeal.

And after listening to that theme song on the official monk website... I don't love it, no.

Archived