Home

Fairness of the American Judicial System?

Emperor Devon

Do you think the American system of justice is too harsh, too forgiving, or just right ?

I myself think it is too forgiving. A good example of this would be cases of child abuse. Beating a six-year old to death should not be (but has been) punished with a mere 15-year sentence. Some of the various degrees of murder, I think, are not needed. Killing someone should result in a life of imprisonment at the minimum, whether the killing was planned or done on the spot.

I don't think we should send most murderers to the electric chair, but acts such deserve a lifetime of repayment.

What are your opinions on the fairness of America's judicial system, or the one that your country uses?

I think it'd be a better idea to discuss only the US system, to be honest. Otherwise this might become a bit disorganized. That, and if I brought up the Norwegian justice system, the thread would easily get cluttered by "WTF?!" posts, Danish Animal Bordellos-thread-style:rolleyes:.

As for the US system:

Do you think the American system of justice is too harsh, too forgiving, or just right ?
It depends on scenario. Too mild in some cases, too harsh in others.

One gripe I've got it how it treats minor offenders. Remember this thread here on LucasForums about how this elderly man was handcuffed to a coloumn in a general store for paying with a $2-bill (the staff thought it was counterfeit as they were ignorant enough not to know of two-dollar bills).

Hello? Handcuffing some elderly citizen for passing a "counterfeit" bill?

Or this story about the two high school kids who sneaked into campus grounds at night to play ball, and wound up in the arrest for trespassing.

I could also bring up tonnes of stories about little children being handcuffed for nothing (this 12-year old who brought scissors to school comes to mind).

One thing to discuss.

There's also the fact that the rich, with their powerful lawyers, have a much easier time in the face of the law than, say, a poverty-stricken Latin-American family. Rape a high-class white girl and a low-class Latin girl and see which you have to stand trial for first.

For the most part I think that the entire justice system needs a major overhaul.

A great deal of people are in prison for drug-related charges. If only we stopped locking up harmless druggies we could focus on REAL criminals and lock them up longer. Like child rapists.

I can see it now, this is going to be a pretty hot debate...

Anyhoo, I think the American judicial system is a little too forgiving. I will refer only to charges of homicide for simplicity, but anyone who kills anyone else should go to jail for life, if not the electric chair.

One gripe I've got it how it treats minor offenders. Remember this thread here on LucasForums about how this elderly man was handcuffed to a coloumn in a general store for paying with a $2-bill (the staff thought it was counterfeit as they were ignorant enough not to know of two-dollar bills).

Hello? Handcuffing some elderly citizen for passing a "counterfeit" bill?

Ah, total and complete ignorance. The morons could have made him pay for it with something else, or at least consulted another customer for proof of the existence of a two dollar bill. But handcuffed to a column? How did they even have hand cuffs, steal some kiddy ones from the toy section?

There's also the fact that the rich, with their powerful lawyers, have a much easier time in the face of the law than, say, a poverty-stricken Latin-American family. Rape a high-class white girl and a low-class Latin girl and see which you have to stand trial for first.

*Sigh* I really hate this topic, goes to show all too well that all that "Land of the Free" talk is just a load of bull****.

I agree that it needs a major overhaul. Starting from scratch. But no politician is ever going to hav the power or guts to try that.

When we talk about whether its too harsh or too weak we are basing our opinions on a selected handful of annecdotal stories that we have read in the press. Which is no way to make a rational decision. I'm sure we've all read a story about someone who got a too-short sentance.. but that doesn't mean they all do.. or even that there weren't circumstances we don't know about in that case.

I do agree that the way the justice system in the US treats minors is disgraceful. SO does amnesty.

-

I think that they need a system which is smarter, more refined, more flexible, quicker and with more feedback. You see how some computer games are so finely balanced by their developers.. every action and effect tested and balanced.

But the justice system has just grown organically, under the yo-yoing control of extremist politicians from both sides.

I can't help but think that if you started from scrath, and got a load of smart programmers to look at the issue, they could work out a fairer system. Seperate levels of offences, multipliers for mitigating circumstances, or previous offences, or violence or motivation. Jury recommendations and victim requests having an impact on sentances. Judge's sentancing stats analysed on a annual basis to determine discrepancies. Etc..

Most crime is carried out by drug addicts. Most crime is carried out by repeat offenders. Most crime is carried out by the poor.

Rehabilitaion is fairly pointless when the underlying causes are never addressed.

Archived