Home

Mon Calamari Frigate

Crezzer Fett

http://www.gamed.nl/messages/32022.jpg

top center

unless the executor has a forced resize to make it out of perspective then the arc hammer is <1km it should be at least a few KM long http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/cg/df/dark04.gif

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/cg/df/dark05.gif

(those are consecutive shots so the arc hammer is not closer to the camera in the one than the other, it is still on the port side of the Ex and is a substantial fraction of the Ex in the bow shot

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, I see. I hadn't noticed that. In that case it does indeed look like the Arc Hammer has been scaled down. I'm only guessing, but it's probably so that the space maps won't get too crowded, especially if both it and the Executor happens to be present at the same time.

One of the devs said in another thread that it is smaller then a kilometer, in between a victory and an ISD. That's a pretty big scaling difference for something that's supposed to be about 9 km long!

I don't really care though, it never needed to be that big. So long as it pumps out the good stuff...:dtrooper:

Same here. It's not like I'll be using it as a combat unit. In fact, I plan on keeping it far behind Imperial lines where no one can get to it, cranking out DarkTroopers...

and I'll be fighting his army or DarkTroopers back again and again :smash::smash::smash::smash:

Meh, who cares. It's just a game. I've been a devoted Star Wars fan since I was eight, but my policy is to never consider anything presented in a game canon. Saves me a lot of aggravation. Canon is for the movies and the books; games are for fun.

I don't really care either, since the exact size was never written down. I do wonder why they did it though, they've been so careful not to go against anything already in the EU, (don't start the Lancer bollocks again :nut: ) and it's pretty easy to just make it a reasonable size.

It just seems a tad lazy IMO - if not arrogant.

*kicks Petroglyph for murdering canon again*

Its not that small damnit!

EAW was not created to retell the story of Episod IV, it was made to give us Star Wars fans a chance to change Star Wars history. I call EAW a "what if" game. What if the death star DID destroy Yavin, what if the Mon Calamari had built more than 15 cruisers for the Rebellion, or what if the Empire had won. The point is don't take video games so seriously.

Besides canon is a very flimsy foundation to begin with. Star Wars is fiction, not a telling of historical events of past wars. Because Star Wars is fiction game creators and novelists can change canon to whatever they want it to be. Besides, canon often contradicts itself anyway, take for example General Grievous and Emperor Palpatine.

General Grievous gets his chest crushed in by Mace Windu in the Clone Wars cartoon. In the novel Labyrinth of Evil he fights Mace in a lightsaber duel atop a moving hover train and nearly wins before being force pushed off the hover train they are fighting on.

The fact that Emperor Palpatine makes a clone of himself is against canon as well. In the movies Emperor Palpatine dies, end of story. But second-rate comic book writers try to extend the life of a dead villian with a cheesy "he's not dead, he made a clone of himself" storyline, how original. I apologize if I offended any hardcore fans of Dark Empire.

I for one love the fact that Petroglyph is thinking out of the box and making a contribution to Star Wars canon with an awesome new array of villians and vehicles. I'm glad they put in the extra effort to make a new villian instead of using Black Sun or Jabba the Hutt as the main character.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone but I just had to get that off my chest.

*Prepares for massive flaming*

One of the reasons for the apparent size disagreement is that Lucas has never given an official size for the thing. The sizes that are listed at Wookieepedia and other places are all fan approximations based on a few screen shots from Dark Forces, in which the perspective is suspect. Since there's no knowing where the camera originates in those shots, its very difficult to tell the elevation and angle of the ships shown, which means that the Arc Hammer could be very much smaller than the current estimates, or even bigger - this is the hazard of trying to find a size in 3D space from a 2D shot.

Bottom line is, since there is no official length, and the length as stated harmed gameplay in some spots, we chose to go smaller. Also, logic would dictate that a ship meant primarily as a factory and research facility wouldn't need to be super huge like an ISD or a SSD. So there you are :) If you really don't like the size, it is quite easy to scale in XML.

EAW was not created to retell the story of Episod IV, it was made to give us Star Wars fans a chance to change Star Wars history. I call EAW a "what if" game. What if the death star DID destroy Yavin, what if the Mon Calamari had built more than 15 cruisers for the Rebellion, or what if the Empire had won. The point is don't take video games so seriously.

Besides canon is a very flimsy foundation to begin with. Star Wars is fiction, not a telling of historical events of past wars. Because Star Wars is fiction game creators and novelists can change canon to whatever they want it to be. Besides, canon often contradicts itself anyway, take for example General Grievous and Emperor Palpatine.

General Grievous gets his chest crushed in by Mace Windu in the Clone Wars cartoon. In the novel Labyrinth of Evil he fights Mace in a lightsaber duel atop a moving hover train and nearly wins before being force pushed off the hover train they are fighting on.

The fact that Emperor Palpatine makes a clone of himself is against canon as well. In the movies Emperor Palpatine dies, end of story. But second-rate comic book writers try to extend the life of a dead villian with a cheesy "he's not dead, he made a clone of himself" storyline, how original. I apologize if I offended any hardcore fans of Dark Empire.

I for one love the fact that Petroglyph is thinking out of the box and making a contribution to Star Wars canon with an awesome new array of villians and vehicles. I'm glad they put in the extra effort to make a new villian instead of using Black Sun or Jabba the Hutt as the main character.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone but I just had to get that off my chest.

*Prepares for massive flaming*

Amen to that!

One of the reasons for the apparent size disagreement is that Lucas has never given an official size for the thing. The sizes that are listed at Wookieepedia and other places are all fan approximations based on a few screen shots from Dark Forces, in which the perspective is suspect. Since there's no knowing where the camera originates in those shots, its very difficult to tell the elevation and angle of the ships shown, which means that the Arc Hammer could be very much smaller than the current estimates, or even bigger - this is the hazard of trying to find a size in 3D space from a 2D shot.

Bottom line is, since there is no official length, and the length as stated harmed gameplay in some spots, we chose to go smaller. Also, logic would dictate that a ship meant primarily as a factory and research facility wouldn't need to be super huge like an ISD or a SSD. So there you are :) If you really don't like the size, it is quite easy to scale in XML.

That's fair enough I suppose, and I agree with you that it never needed to be that big. Still, this will upset a few people.

Funny story relating to that - kinda OT - a good mate of mine who loves Star Wars asked me about FoC, and whether or not Thrawn is in it. He loves that blue dude! :thrawn2: After confirming his hopes, I told him he'll probably have a run-in with Tyber, and possibly get outfoxed.

He got fairly angry. Petro, just letting you know that if Thrawn gets played like a chump, I'm going to be personally blamed. :smash: Can't wait to see the results!

I know that, but factories of any size take up quite a bit of space, and something that small would NEVER be able to hold one.

The Arc Hammer has more than enough space to accommodate a factory. It only looks small because it's adjacent to the Executor and even the mighty Imperial Star Destroyers are dwarfted by the Executor. By game-scale I would say the Arc Hammer looks about as long as a Victory Destroyer. That's more than large enough to support an onboard factory.

The Arc Hammer has more than enough space to accommodate a factory. It only looks small because it's adjacent to the Executor and even the mighty Imperial Star Destroyers are dwarfted by the Executor. By game-scale I would say the Arc Hammer looks about as long as a Victory Destroyer. That's more than large enough to support an onboard factory.

I don't think anyone's arguing that a smaller ship could still be a worthwhile factory, I think the point is that it has been shown as an ambiguous size up until now, bigger than an ISD but far smaller than the Executor.

Check this out (this was posted before, btw): http://theforce.net/swtc/Pix/cg/df/dark05.gif

It doesn't give the exact size, but it's a fairly massive ship.

Of course the scaling in EaW is based on gameplay>realism, and the Executor and Eclipse are manageable sizes rather than ships that span a whole map. The Arc Hammer is certainly bigger than an ISD though. IMO 5% longer than an ISD would have been ok.

Bear in mind this was a pretty big project, and when the Imperials went big, they went BIG.

Actually, my post was directly specifically to Admiral Sith. He was concerned that the Arc Hammer looked too small to be a factory and I was explaining the reasons why it could support a factory.

By the way the screenshot you posted is misleading. Those Star Destroyers look far off in the background and therefore makes the Arc Hammer's size difficult to specify.

I do agree however that the Arc Hammer does look scaled down a bit.

Archived