Home

Immortality! Would we ever achieve it?

Windu Chi

17 members have voted

1. 1. Immortality! Would we ever achieve it?

• Yes
    • No
    • God always have our number to pick.

I was watching a program on the Science Channel one day called "KAPOW! Superhero Science".

I heard a molecular biologist say that there are some old people who don't age no more on a cellular or molecular level.

They won't die as a result of the so called aging process.

When I heard that I thought that was bulls**t.

But I started to believe it after I thought about what the hell he was talking about.

Anybody else believe that someone will live forever and ever and ever.

Well you get the picture.

Even is we could expand our lifespans indefinitely, there is always violence and fatal accidents.

Some people might live a very long time, but everybody and every living thing had to die in the end.

The universe will eventually die.

I think with technology and medical advances we can someday expect to at least double the natural human lifespan... but I'm not sure we could ever manage to get it much beyond that.

I don't think immortality is in the cards... even if you could remove our brains and place then in a near indestructible container with sensors that let us interact with the world. You can probably slow, but I don't think you can ever stop cellular decay.

There's a lot of evidence that we are already living longer than our bodies were designed by evolution to handle, anyway. More than that will be pushing the envelope.

Then what you heard was a load of nonsense.

Can you provide any proof of this?

I said, I saw it on the program called KAPOW! Superhero Science that was on the Science Channel on digital cable.

You should watch it when it come on that channel again.

Since you think I am making up, Devon.

Or you can go to the science channel web site to find out about the program.

Good topic (although this "no aging" statement sounds to me to be dubious, to say the least).

Would we be able to achieve immortality? I don't think so. Even if we can stop the aging process at x years of age, which we eventually probably will be able to, there'll still be things such as plane accidents, homicide, suicide, euthanasia, and so on.

Would I want immortality (read: A stopped aging process)? Definetly. You have only one life, and once you die, that's it. I want to live young for as long as possible, until I die in a car accident or murder or some other non-natural cause. I want to experience as much of this world as I can. So although I'm an atheist, I picked option number three, as it's the closest one to what I want to get across.

Nothing is supposed to last forever.
We aren't "supposed to" be able to fly around at 3000+ km/h either.

Death is a natural part of life.
So's doing math in your head. Doesn't stop me from using calculators.

Sounds like hell to me. Outliving your children and grandchildren.
Give them immortality, too:).

Live forever as an old person? No thanks.

I can only see universal immortality leading to problems. The world's population would quickly get out of control. If people lived forever but were old then we'd have an ancient population, with no way to support it. If they lived forever and were young then they'd have to work forever.. this would have a major impact on the economy, jobs, etc..

The highlander tv series explored a lot of interesting issues with immortality being only available to the few: outliving loved ones. Some people made the most of it and used their time to keep improving themselves. Others lost all motivation because they just got fed up. Some lost all respect for those that didn't live forever.. or never wanted to form attachments because they'd lost too many people. There are a whole host of impacts.

I'd settle for being able to be fit, active and healthy up until i drop dead... and avoiding arthritis, parkinsons, senility and so on.

I suppose colonization of the seas, underwater, wastelands, and eventually even orbit, the Moon, and other planetoids would be a definite must if we were to live forever.

That, and some serious birth control.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Back in Ancient Egypt, the expected lengt of life was thirty years - today in most developed countries, it's nearly eighty.

Maybe most of our descendants will live for centuries? Would be damned interesting to be them (and maybe that's what the Ancient Egyptians said about lives that lasted three-quarters of a century [read: industrialized world of 2006 CE]).

Oh my, if I'd been granted my wish yesterday I'd have regretted it for eternity. Immortality would be truly horrible if after a thousand years you kept aging but never died. I think there was a Greek myth where that happened.

If I never grew past 80, I'd love to live forever. The alternative, which is to no longer exist, if unfathomable.

Damn, I just reminded myself. It's such a depressing matter. :(

NO.

All things must end.

only some despotic tyrant would want immortality, so he could "rule the world" forever.

I would never want immortality for the same reason as Nancy, and because it's a pretty lame "superpower," so to speak.

And wouldn't the subject's body deteriorate over time regardless?

You know, we all assume that all things must end

but we've never experienced something not ending.

We all see the rock falling to the ground when we drop it, and we all know it falls to the ground, but that's the only thing we know because we've never seen it fall up.

What if we decided to screw gravity?

Some philosophy for you guys to nibble on. :p

(I, of course, doubt immortality is achievable. I don't see any form of medical capacity for stopping the aging process. But you never know.)

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be specific. Can you point to a very reliable source that claims this?
I found this e-book tonight at 7:51pm-8:20pm CT, while searching yahoo.

This e-book tells of discovery in evolutionary biology about aging ceasing in late life that was made the early 1990s.

A discovery made by Carey 1992 & Curtsinger 1992 which suggested that the period of age-related deterioration eventually comes to an end, leaving

a residual post-aging period.

The e-book link Late Life: A New Frontier for Physiology

Another e-book link concerning the topic The evolution of late life

Archived