Home

Expansion Hero Musings

Darth Ablett

Hi guys, I was just wondering a few things about the heroes (new and old).

Firstly, does the Admonitor :vsd: have any tactical abilities (like the Accusor's proton beam)? Or just a modifier like Tarkin?

Secondly, how will Vader work in space? TIE Advanced, Executor, both?

Someone here (Wedge2211, I think) said it would be cool if you could launch the TIE x1 from the Executor; I reckon that's a great idea.

Lastly, was Leia ever considered for FoC? I have no idea what she would do, but she seems kinda important to the Rebellion.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I was just wondering a few things about the heroes (new and old).

Firstly, does the Admonitor :vsd: have any tactical abilities (like the Accusor's proton beam)? Or just a modifier like Tarkin?

We haven't heard anything about that yet. Surely Thrawn will have some special ability, perhaps even more than one, but none of the devs have mentioned anything.

Secondly, how will Vader work in space? TIE Advanced, Executor, both?

Someone here (Wedge2211, I think) said it would be cool if you could launch the TIE x1 from the Executor; I reckon that's a great idea.

Apparently Vader will be in the Executor, so seeing as how you don't get Vader until Tech Level 4, the TIE Advanced he's piloting in EaW appears to be out. I too think it would be cool if he could launch from the Executor, but that's just us speculating.

Lastly, was Leia ever considered for FoC? I have no idea what she would do, but she seems kinda important to the Rebellion.

Thanks in advance!

That's actually a very good point. I hadn't thought of that, but Leia would be an obvious addition. If she was in, I'd imagine she had an ability to convert enemy troops to fight for the Rebellion, sort of like the Emperor's special ability (only without the health degrading).

Apparently Vader will be in the Executor.

Does that mean the Empire gets the Super Star Destroyer for free then?

If yes, that's crazy talk! Imagine playing a GC, getting to tech level 4 and *poof* superweapon.

I hope the Empire has to outlay some serious funds to get that bad boy, so there's a sense of accomplishment (and doom for the rebels, rather than inevitability).

I could be way off base though - as usual! :smash:

Does that mean the Empire gets the Super Star Destroyer for free then?

If yes, that's crazy talk! Imagine playing a GC, getting to tech level 4 and *poof* superweapon.

I hope the Empire has to outlay some serious funds to get that bad boy, so there's a sense of accomplishment (and doom for the rebels, rather than inevitability).

I could be way off base though - as usual! :smash:

It's probably going to be free (although I don't know anything specific) when you get Vader. However, I'm betting that the Pop cap for the Executor is going to be very high, like 10 or somewhere in that area. That won't leave the Empire with many other ships in the task force. It's also possible that it'll move more slowly on the Galactic map than other ships, just like the Death Star does.

Maybe Vader will come in his TIE fighter until the point where the player builds the Executor, and from then on Vader is in his flagship? Or perhaps Vader is in his TIE unless the Executor is in his fleet, in which case Vader stands on the bridge looking pensive and Force-throttling officers? Either of those would seem sensible to me.

Ablett, you are definitely right about Leia! I can't believe I forgot about her--sometimes the most obvious things slip right by you! I know PG mentioned that the Rebellion is going to be much more hero-centric in the expansion, and adding Leia would certainly go a long way towards having that effect. She seems most suited to having some special feature on the galactic map--as an anti-corruption agent, perhaps, or a spy against the Empire. In combat, of course, she could be quite daring, too!

Excellent points here. I'm wondering what Yoda's abilitys will be though.

Yoda has two abilities: One is the "combat frenzy" thing where he goes green ninja on a bunch of stormtroopers; the other is a meditation that will reveal all or parts of the map. During this meditation stance he cannot move or act.

Yoda has two abilities: One is the "combat frenzy" thing where he goes green ninja on a bunch of stormtroopers; the other is a meditation that will reveal all or parts of the map. During this meditation stance he cannot move or act.

I think he also takes more damage while meditating, I'm fairly sure that was written somewhere.

Wedge, the Leia-corruption idea is a good one. It would be pretty cool if the planet she was on was more resistant to corruption, or some-such thing.

As a result, Tyber and his motley crew have to pay dearly to circumvent her pure morals.

In any case, since we haven't heard anything about her I doubt she'll be in. Does anyone from Petro want to prove me wrong? :giggle1:

Having the Executor be for free would be stupid. I don't care if it takes all of the pop cap points. Besides we saw in the demo video the executor with star destroyers (although this was only a demo).

Heck, I have my pop cap boosted wayyy up when I play single player!

No, we will probably have to buy the bloody great ship; all I know is that Vader better be flying around in his tie advance. Although, wouldn't it be cool if a) he could fly in a tie defender like in TIE fighter, and/or b) he could use force powers from his ship a la Jedi Starfighter?

While we wanted to include Leia, we couldn't honestly find anything "interesting" for her to do in a tactical arena - she's really not much for combat at this stage of the story. We wanted to limit as much as possible the Tarkin/Mon Mothma style heroes in the expansion since they aren't as much fun as the heroes you can use for tactical battles.

While we wanted to include Leia, we couldn't honestly find anything "interesting" for her to do in a tactical arena - she's really not much for combat at this stage of the story. We wanted to limit as much as possible the Tarkin/Mon Mothma style heroes in the expansion since they aren't as much fun as the heroes you can use for tactical battles.

Yeah, understandable (no this is not a sarcastic remark ;) )

That's ok, I suppose she wouldn't really fit in. Good to know it came up though!

Anywho, how about Vader and his magical big :vsd: ? The idea that you have to buy the Executor and Vader's TIE slots right in as a special ability is pretty cool; I won't get my hopes up though...

It might be a non-hero unit that you could only build one of at a time...like the Death Star.

I sincerely hope this is the case. Think about it, the Empire already gets two free ISDs (Thrawn's, Piett's).

If they got the Executor for free also, then that's pretty much an entire fleet!

i always thought that Vader would be in his fighter until the Executor was built then he would transfer... i also thought that the Executor should only be buildable with a level 5 space base... and maybe only at Kuat...

in that case..... Captain! Yes sir? Send my fleet over to Kuat before they finish construction on the Executor! :nod:

Royal guards should NOT be buildable. Mass producing royal guards would screw with the game balance, besides there are never more than 4 or 5 at one time. Instead, they should always be directly in the Emperor's service. Maybe when Palpatine lands on a planet he should always have a couple guards that land with him.

i always thought that Vader would be in his fighter until the Executor was built then he would transfer... i also thought that the Executor should only be buildable with a level 5 space base... and maybe only at Kuat...

The Executor was built at Fondor, so if it could only be built in a specific place, that would be it.

Archived