Home

Graphics Card

Maverick5770

Dunno about American prices, but the GeForce 5200 is a decent and modest card, unless you play video games like a second life. In that case, you may want to step up a few notches and take a look at the GeForce 6600, or the new 7 series. I have the 5200, and its good enough, all I'm in need of right now is a better processor and I think I should be content.

I need to upgrade my GFx card, I currently have Nvidia GeForce 4 MX, the most incompadible gRaphics card to date, what should I upgrade to? I have a 2.4 Ghz P4, 512 DDRam, and my motherboard has PCI Express Slots. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Are you sure that you have PCI-e slots and not simply PCI slots? Those are not the same thing. To make sure, what Mobo do you have? And what kind of games do you want to play?

Dunno about American prices, but the GeForce 5200 is a decent and modest card, unless you play video games like a second life.
I'd stay away from the 5XXX nvidia series. Not only they are totally outdated now but they have their share of problems.

I'd stay away from the 5XXX nvidia series. Not only they are totally outdated now but they have their share of problems.

I'd agree. With a budget of up to $250 you can get a really nice 6 or 7 series nVidia or good ATI variant.

256mb cards can usually run under that range too if you play it smart shopping. NewEgg, TigerDirect (online) or even local electronics stores will run promotions.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20496&vpn=256-P2-N624-AR&manufacture=eVGA

your CPU will bottleneck this vid. card, but its better then what you got. And, like what Darth333 said, check to make sure you got an PCI-e slot and not just a PCI or an AGP, because your card ,i believe, is an AGP, and most mobos dont have AGP and PCI-e.

http://www.ncix.com/go/?nvidia7950gt

If you do get a newer graphics card don't forget to check what kind of power supply you have in your computer currently. Most newer graphics cards are quite power hungry compared to older cards and you might need to get a new power supply as well to give it enough power and avoid overloading it. (I managed to blow up an underdimensioned power supply in my old PC. It got very hot and then let off a loud poof and it didn't work any more. Luckily nothing else got damaged.)

For the more powerful single graphics cards (like Radeon X1900) I believe a 450W power supply with at least 30A on the 12V rail (or total sum on both if it has two, I think) is recommended, but if you don't get a top of the line card you might get away with less.

Power supply is very important... I need a minimum 750w power supply, mainly due to my grafix cards.

anyway, check out the awesome and very comprehensive PSU calculator at extreme outervision. Very handy :) As for your card, if you want to be ready for next gen pc gaming, save your $$$ and get a 7950GX2 ! (preferably an XFX or BFG IMO)

79505ju.jpg

mtfbwya

As for your card, if you want to be ready for next gen pc gaming, save your $$$ and get a 7950GX2 ! (preferably an XFX or BFG IMO)

mtfbwya

I wouldn't buy that card with his current configuration...it's more or less like putting a F1 engine into a Honda civic. He could get a full upgrade of his PC just for the price of that card!

In any event, putting a new gfx card into his computer is likely to be a temporary solution as everything else (CPU and RAM) is starting to be quite outdated for gaming.

As for your card, if you want to be ready for next gen pc gaming, save your $$$ and get a 7950GX2 ! (preferably an XFX or BFG IMO)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1411/79505ju.jpg

Where can you buy those for $250? :)

It's probably very far into the future until games start to require or even expect the player to have a SLI or Crossfire Graphics card setup in their computer. It would limit the number of potential customers too heavily. Only hardcore enthusiasts are...enthusiastic... enough to pay that much to buy multiple graphics cards and updated computer hardware to handle it. A single card is costly, noisy and power hungry enough as it is. :)

They'd need to include a tiny nuclear power plant with each card to market those to the masses, or people wouldn't be able to afford their electricity bill (though the cards would shave some off the heating costs for small homes :)).

In my (limited) experience getting that kind of graphics card(s) would purely be an investment for the future since the good single card solutions currently available seems to be able to handle all games currently out without any slowdowns. At least I have never experienced any stuttering or FPS lag with my Radeon X1900XT in any games I've tried since getting it. :)

(Curiously JK:Jedi Academy still beats games like Oblivion when it comes to generating high GPU temperature with all the bells and whistles turned on in the graphics settings.)

The problem i had with upgrading is that I wanted a new vid card. I got the eVGA 7900GTX. found out i needed a new mobo. Got the P5B. Found out I needed a new CPU. Got a Pentium D805 (wanted a Core 2 Duo but exceeded my budget. I'll prolly get it in a month or so). found out I needed a new Power Supply. Got the Enermax 460W. Found out I needed new Memory. Got Corsair 2x512mb DDR2 ram. and hell, since i've spent so much money already, why not throw in a new HDD? Got the Seagate Barracude 320GB.

It just all adds up. you get something new, then you find out you need to get something else for it to work....

^^^

I've been paying attention to X1900XTX prices as well. It's probably the most bang for the buck you can find right now. Unfortunately, it'll cause the very scenario that MTV2 described above, resulting in Maverick5770 having to build a new computer to keep up with the card. The upside is having a new computer with a FAT video card!

Well, the two games that require this upgrade ar Medal of Honor, Pacific Assult, and Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow. I would like Brothers in Arms and Splinter Cell CHaos Theory as well. I checked, couldn't find the ,mobo name, but it is AGP slots, not PCI - e. ANd I am looking to upgrade my RAM to 1024 Mb. With that and a better graphics card I shoul dbe able to handle the PC games I want.

THinking about my crappy RAM and CPU, I think i moight just buy a new PC more geared for gaming. What do you guys think?

^^^

Probably the best way to go, if you've got the $$$! My advice would be to NOT spend more than around $300.00 on the video card because DX10 is right around the corner, and there are no cards out that support it yet. That X1900XTX (which was around $500.00 just a short while ago) would probably be your best bet, being more than able to handle any game out there right now.

And build your own system, with a good power supply. It will ensure maximum upgradeability in the future.

I currently have Nvidia GeForce 4 MX, the most incompadible gRaphics card to date.

Bah. I used to have one of those. I couldn't even play KotOR! I'm building a new computer now though, and it's got Nvidia GeForce 7600 for PCI Express. 'Tis lovely, not to mention 4 times the size of the GeForce 4. :p

THinking about my crappy RAM and CPU, I think i moight just buy a new PC more geared for gaming. What do you guys think?

I say go for it. If you're on this forum and play the games, why not?

I also got one of the mx 440 seris of cards, there good if it wasen't for the complete lack of pixel shader. I'm not to intent on buying a whole new desktop until Theres a game that warrents it. If I combined my two computers, I could play the copy of Oblvion, but since one of those computers dosent actually belong to me, I think I'll stick with Morrowind.

Where can you buy those for $250? :)

It's probably very far into the future until games start to require or even expect the player to have a SLI or Crossfire Graphics card setup in their computer....

lolz....if you want to play games like Oblivion on a larger display in true HD rez(1900x1200) with all the fancy effects on you can't achieve this any other way. With Vista and directX 10 due next year, alot of people will eventually need to upgrade to be able to play some of the great games coming out.

those gx2s and x1900s and their like will drop in price when the DX10 cards come out next year ;)

mtfbwya

Archived