Home

Swampies, assemble! Advice on new tunes needed.

BongoBob

Hey there my fellow swampies. I have decided I need to expand my musical tastes, and would like some advice from fellow swampies on what to give a try. I think we should all assist in expanding each others musical tastes.

I'm open to just about any kind of music. And I hope to god there will be no "YOUR MUSIC SUX!" "NO U!" internet fights in here.

So swampies, could you help me out?

To start off, I suggest everyone give "The Mars Volta - Tetragrammaton" a listen to. It's not your traditional music, and from what I've seen with trying to get people to listen to it, they either love it or they hate it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy ****. I was just barely thinking about making a thread like this. O_O Weird.

Well, I've been listening to a little more rap lately. Just downloaded some songs off itunes.

I purchased:

-Money Maker, Ludacris

-Pullin' Me Back, Chingy

-Don't Get it Twisted, Mr Capon-E

Good stuff.

The way I find new music is through Rhapsody. The radio is great--just choose a genre you like, and it'll play through a bunch of songs, commercial free. And if you don't like the song, you can just skip to the next one. Or, you can create your own station by listing some artists you like, and then it will play music by similar artists.

Also, you can look up artists, and see some of their contemporaries, influences, followers, or related projects. I've found an assload of new music from just browsing around this way.

Give it a try if you like--it comes with a free two week trial to test out unlimited rhapsody, with which you can stream all the music you want.

Rhapsody

"Mediterranean Sundance" by Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin.

Here are some genres as well: Classical Guitar, Flamenco, Jazz, Jazz Fusion, World, 90's alternative rock, indie, and hippie jam bands

My advice, the first guys you should check out are John Williams (Classical Guitar, not the Star Wars one!), Paco De Lucia, Tomatito, Andres Segovia, Denis Azabagic, Al Di Meola. They have awesome vids on youtube of these guys.

Underground HipHop, Underground hardcore.

Your from vegas right Bongo? Check on myspace for the Hardcore bands Folsom and Wintchmob... Their homies of mine, from vegas, both amazing bands

Underground hiphop, try some Jedi Mind Tricks, POS, AOSOP ROCK, OuterSpace, Doom Tree, Atomoshpere.

Word.

"Mediterranean Sundance" by Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin.

Ditto.

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain. Sweet funk band, title track is the most awesome display of guitar prowess ever. Song - Title Track

The Beatles - Abbey Road. A classic and probably one you've already heard, but if you haven't you're in for a real treat. It's the Beatles at their best, and that's from a band that is the best. Revolver is also a good album to check out. Song - Come Together, Here Comes the Sun

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. 90's folk rock. Jeff Magnum, the singer and songwriter for the band, carves out a beautiful concept album(even though it's really not) about the story of life through the eyes of naivety. Sounds a bit corny, but it's so very much awesome: if you like horns, the trumpeter for the band is also rather nice and melodic. Song - Communist Daughter, Title Track.

The Pixies - Doolittle/Surfer Rosa. Arguably the best two albums from the band that essentially sired 90's grunge: Kurt Cobain was so affected by their music he created Smells Like Teen Spirit in the style of a Pixies song. Quirky lyrics, but with an alternative rock edge that feels fresh even today. Song - Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Where Is My Mind?

Four bands off the top of my head: each one kickass more than the last and the next.

Ditto.

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain. Sweet funk band, title track is the most awesome display of guitar prowess ever. Song - Title Track

The Beatles - Abbey Road. A classic and probably one you've already heard, but if you haven't you're in for a real treat. It's the Beatles at their best, and that's from a band that is the best. Revolver is also a good album to check out. Song - Come Together, Here Comes the Sun

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. 90's folk rock. Jeff Magnum, the singer and songwriter for the band, carves out a beautiful concept album(even though it's really not) about the story of life through the eyes of naivety. Sounds a bit corny, but it's so very much awesome: if you like horns, the trumpeter for the band is also rather nice and melodic. Song - Communist Daughter, Title Track.

The Pixies - Doolittle/Surfer Rosa. Arguably the best two albums from the band that essentially sired 90's grunge: Kurt Cobain was so affected by their music he created Smells Like Teen Spirit in the style of a Pixies song. Quirky lyrics, but with an alternative rock edge that feels fresh even today. Song - Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Where Is My Mind?

Four bands off the top of my head: each one kickass more than the last and the next.

Now that's a damn good list. If you're into interesting guitars, I seriously suggest checking out the mars volta song I talked about originally. The Mars Volta - Tetragrammaton.

Can't go wrong with Wierd Al. His new album just came out. "White and Nerdy" + "Don't Download this Song" ftw :)

Actually hope to leave to go get that within the next 10 minutes :D

in no order, just for each genre:

Classical guitarists: Julian Bream (also Lute and Vihuela), Carlos Barbosa-Lima, Denis Azabagic, Pepe Romero, Angel Romero, Celedonio Romero, Manuel Barrueco, Andres Segovia, Kazuhito Y a m a s h i t a, John Williams, Eliot Fisk, Paulinho Nogueira, Chris Parkening, César Amaro, The Amsterdam Guitar Trio, The LA Guitar Quartet, Goran Ivanovic

Classical composers: Sergei Rachmaninoff, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Manuel De Falla, Fernando Sor, Francisco Tarrega, Johann Sebastian Bach, Richard Wagner, Claude Debussy, Matteo Carcassi, Augustin Barrios Mangore, Antonio Vivaldi, Isaac Albeniz, Matteo Albeniz, Sylvius Leopold Weiss, Ludwig Van Beethoven

Flamenco guitarists: Paco De Lucia, Juan Martin, Rafael Rabello, Sabicas, Denis Koster

Jazz/Fusion guitarists & bands: Larry Coryell, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Django Reinhardt, Pat Martino, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Bireli Lagrene, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Charlie Christain, Grant Green

Other Jazz/Jazz Fusion Musicians: Thelonious Monk (piano, composer), Chick Corea (piano, composer), Louis Armstrong (trumpet), Lenny White (drums), Stanley Clarke (bass), Jaco Pastorius (bass), Jean-Luc Ponty (violin, that's right, violin)

Other Artists/Bands (guitarists or not): Goran Ivanovic Group (Balkan Folk/Jazz), Adam Fulara (guitar), Justin King (guitar), Phil Keaggy (guitar), Astor Piazzolla (bandoneon) Placido Domingo (singer), Amir Beso (Balkan Fusion Guitar), Kaki King (guitar), Frank Sinatra (singer), Ravi Shankar (sitar), Vishwa Mohan Batt (guitar), Bob Dylan (folk singer/guitar/harmonica), Earl Scruggs (banjo)

Rock/Blues Bands/People: Dave Matthews Band! Queen! Led Zeppelin, Grateful D E A D, Yes, The Beatles, Ry Cooder, The Doors, Eric Clapton, Coldplay, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Randolph, Strawberry Alarm Clock, cab for Cutie, Frank Zappa, Cream, Beck, B.B. King, Snow Patrol, Robert Johnson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, The Who, Allman Brothers Band, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ry Cooder, The Arctic Monkeys, The Shins, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, JerryC, Funtwo

I'll name the band, then my favorite songs in order, then my favorite albums in order. This is mostly to save money if anyone decides to use iTunes.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

A band out of San Fran with a range of rock sound. They're my featured band for this post, and are definitely not as well known as they should be.

Songs:

1. Whatever Happened To My Rock N Roll
  2. Ain't No Easy Way
  3. Devil's Watin'
  4. Red Eyes And Tears
  5. Love Burns
  6. Shuffle Your Feet
  7. White Palms
  8. Screaming Gun

Albums:

1. B.R.M.C

2. Howl

3. Take Them On, On Your Own

PIG

Ah, yes. Raymond Watt's project. Raymond Watts is the guy who made KMFDM awesome. PIG is nothing but 100% distilled British industrial rock. Oh yeah.

Songs:

1. Find It F!ck It Forget It (The Swining/Red Raw & Sore mix is good for minimalism. If you want to get in elbow deep, the Wrecked mix a whole new level.)
  2. Infinite Shame
  3. Sick City
  4. Sanctuary (Spent Sperm Mix)
  5. ¡Toxico!
  6. Everything
  7. Arbor Vitate

Albums:

1. Praise the Lard
  2. Wrecked
  3. The Swining/Red Raw & Sore

Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

A regional band out of BC, Cananda. It may be a bit harder to aquire their material, so I suggest you just go straight to iTunes and check out some singles.

Songs:

1. 20 Minutes of Oxygen
  2. The Math Song
  3. Dies Ist Unverschamtheit
  4. Shoggoths Away

Albums:

1. Spaceship One
  2. Chuthulu Strikes Back

Asheru

Sometimes listed as Asheru and the Blue Black of the Unspoken Heard. For all of you who are into hip hop, this is your man. He also did the opening theme for The Boondocks.

Songs:

1. Soon Come
  2. Nigga Like Me
  3. Soul

Albums:

1. Soon Come
  2. 48 Months

Art Brut

A rising group out of Britain. They're pretty minimalistic. Think White Stripes, but more aggressive.

Songs:

1. Bang Bang Rock And Rolly
  2. Bad Weekend
  3. Rusted Guns
  4. Emily Kane

Albums:

1. Bang Bang Rock And Roll

Sigur Rós

Straight Outta Iceland. These guys have an eeire, hovering sound about them. All the songs are in Icelandic or gibberish that sounds like Icelandic.

Songs:

1. Starálfur
  2. Glósóli
  3. Hoppípolla
  4. Olsen Olsen
  5. Avalon

Albums:

1. Ágætis byrjun
  2. Takk...

Archived