Home

Help with KotOR Tool...

Nema_Suneimi

My brain is turning to jelly so forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, I've been tinkering with it for hours -- I recently reinstalled my KotOR games and modding programs to my internal hard drive (so I don't have to lug my external drive with my laptop) but all of a sudden I can't set Kotor Tool as the default program to open my .uti files. I plugged my external hard drive in and can set the Kotor Tool program from *that* as a default program, but *not* from my laptop's hard drive. I browse through the program selector and choose kotor_tool.exe, but nothing happens (just bumps back to the "Open With" window and kotor_tool is not listed). I have no clue why this is happening.

I can still open with GFFEditor. I just have no idea why I can set Kotor Tool as the default with my external drive but not with my internal one. Migraine!

all of a sudden I can't set Kotor Tool as the default program to open my .uti files. I plugged my external hard drive in and can set the Kotor Tool program from *that* as a default program, but *not* from my laptop's hard drive. I browse through the program selector and choose kotor_tool.exe, but nothing happens (just bumps back to the "Open With" window and kotor_tool is not listed).

I'm not sure of the cause of this, but I suspect it's a bug in Windows since I've experienced the same thing when I tried to associate some files with an application, where the selection just didn't stick. The entire file association thing just appears to be extremely buggy and awkward overall.

You could try to set up the file association manually and see if that works. If you don't know how: Open a Windows explorer window, go to the Tools menu and pick Folder options (something like that), go to the File Types tab, find 2DA in the list (if it's there) and if the lower button says "Restore" or something click it so it says Advanced. Then press the Advanced button and find the open task in the list (if it's not there add it) and edit it. Use the Browse button to locate your KotorTool and add...

"%1"

...after the end of the path that gets set. Including the leading space and quotation marks. Check the "Use DDE" checkbox, set program to kotor_tool and the bottom box to System.

Exit back out to the Folder Options window, flip to one of the other tabs and briefly toggle one of the other options on/off to enable the "Apply" button at the end, then flip back to the File Types tab and click the Apply button.

At least that convoluted procedure tends to work when the normal file associations don't want to play nice on my computer. Hopefully someone else has an easier solution to offer. :)

Archived