Home

Stuttering voices in cutscenes

3 head monkey

Hello, I'm new in here. I've got a problem with the cutscenes in Grim Fandango (I think there's a lot of people with a similar problem): in the cutscenes sometimes the sound go wrong and the voices become stuttering, but it's strange because it only occurs sometimes, and the problem fix itself spontaneously fom time to time. I've got a Pentium III and Win XP, but I play in Win 95 compatibility (which doesn't seem to solve anything). I've got the spanish version of the game with the 1.01 patch installed. The game also crashes ocasionally and returns to Windows. It isn't really a very important problem, but it's still annoying. Is there any solution to this or is it just my PC? I think I've tried almost everything, even copying the .LAB files from the CD to the hard drive.

Thanks.

It's a Pentium III 798 Mhz, 128 MB RAM, ATI RADEON 7000 graphic card, Creative Sound Blaster PCI, Windows XP Profesional...I don't know much more. I've seen posts of other people who had similar problems but it was because the Hyper Threading, I think my computer doesn't have that.

no it shouldnt on a pentium 3. your pc isnt actually a very fast one by todays standards but thats a good thing if you're wanting to play GF! :)

are you using the most current drivers for your video / sound card? is anything running in the background that might explain why this problem only occurs from time to time?

is this happening only during cutscenes??

Yes, it only occurs during cutscenes and the sound go wrong more frequently than right. I haven't noticed that running something in the background influences anything at all; it's completely random. Sometimes I play for a long time without problems, then I shut down the computer, and when I play again, the sound have turned stuttering. But I think that it only occurs if you quit the game; if you, for example, simply pause it, then it remains OK, as far as I can remember.

The drivers, I don't know, I think there's no more actualizations for these sound/graphic cards, because they're rather old.

As I said before, it isn't a big problem, and I'm nearly finishing the game by now, but thanks however.

Ah! I've noticed something new: I was having trouble with the sound, so I uninstalled the game and installed it again, quit all the programmes in the background and installed the patch, but it remained wrong. Then I disabled the compatibility mode and it was automatically fixed. Also, changing the session in Win XP (when there's more than one user) seems to help. It could be a solution, but it doesn't work all the times.

Archived