Home

Hacking / Glitching in DS Server Yesterday

Mag_Opus

OK - I am really frustrated. I was on a DM server yesterday (dang I didn't write down the name - it was something like "DS_Delta<something>").

One player was using a "Super Grenade" as he called it. He was playing with the nym " ' " (just an apostrophe for his name) .

When he threw this grenade it looked a lot like a wookie rocket leaving his hand - it left a trail of fire and then exploded just like a rocket. There was no surviving if you were anywhere near this thing.

I thought SWRC was pretty immune to hacks (esp client-side hacks). Does anyone have knowledge of this "Super Grenade". Is it a server-side issue or a client-side hack or a glitch exploit?

I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO IT - I just want to know if it is server side, I will avoid this particular server in the future. (There was other *obvious* hacking going on in this DM game, so I'm thinking it was an inside group with knowledge of some server hooks that were opened up)

Thanks. Have fun, blow up stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I'm not sure how they hack it, but there is a way to "through weapons." What this guy you have described was doing was throwing a rocket instead of a gernade. I've seen this done with shotguns, sniper rounds, and even AA rounds.

This hack has nothing to do with the server. I've seen it done on many others. There's nothing we can do about this.

And Mag_Opus, you're {R18}Sputum? Good game the other day, ([Ds]Niner[Alpha]). ;)

<snip>

And Mag_Opus, you're {R18}Sputum? Good game the other day, ([Ds]Niner[Alpha]). ;)

Yup, that's me. Thanks - same to you.

Re: Glitch: yeah, I know how to bind a throwweapon command, and that it can be used to litter-spawn and crash the server. Anyway, for some reason I've noticed a lot of "tweaked" play recently. I just leave and go elsewhere - it's all you can really do.

Has anyone noticed a hack where you get close to an enemy and you can't move? It's like you are beeing pulled toward them by gravity or a magnet.

Maybe "flame war" was a bad choice of words. Since R18 has dropped SWRC, I will be shopping around for a different SWRC clan to join. I don't want to tick off anyone by accusing them of running an unfair server when I have no evidence at all - simply a gut feeling from many many hours of play.

Bottom line: Every now and then when there are many clan members present on this particular server, I notice several things:

1) The damage anyone wearing the clan's tag can take seems very high. I can follow one around unloading my blaster into his head, and they just won't die.

2) The damage their weapon can inflict seems to be cranked up. I'm unloading rounds and rounds into them and they turn around and kill me w/ a couple of bursts - even though I'm at full health.

3) The "tractor pull" effect will be in play, where I get "locked in" to someone carrying a shotgun and I can't dodge or move - boom.

I'm a pretty good player, with lots of hours logged. I always have decent ping and my rig is top notch. The effects above are not subtle to me, they are like night & day, black & white.

All this may seem like a rant (and it sorta is), but all I want to know is: "Am I crazy?" or have other experienced players noticed these same things?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, so people are hacking this game now? Arggh.

Pity that LucasArts seems to have abandoned this game.

Will people complain? A patch is long overdue (but I've given up, sadly, though I would consider playing the game again if it were fixed up!)..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived