Home

Future Star Wars Games

packersfan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why didn't it make any sense? :confused:

I borrowed it from my friend, and I only played through light side, but the ending pissed me off so much that I didn't wanna go back through it again as Dark side.

It doesn't explain anything really.

IIRC:

I remember your ship crashes onto the planet, and you're the only one you control for a while. And then it lets you control a few more people for a minute, but it doesn't do any more with them, and they don't tie up those loose ends. I specifically remember controlling the droid, and it leaving on a kind of cliffhanger, but not a good one, becuase it never explains what happened. Not to mention it basically the end was really rushed, but it was also really boring because it was just like 5 million fights, and 4 plot points.

EDIT: This explains a lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II:_The_Sith_Lords#Deleted_Content

I am thinking of borrowing it from my friend again, mainly to force storm that whole area again (the most fun I had) and then go back and make a list of all the loose ends.

Why didn't it make any sense? :confused:

He's right.. it was useless.

I was so jawdroppingly astounded and completely pissed off after that game finished that i went out searching for answers and discovered they cut at least one main character, a whole planet, and loads of the end game content. I guess that they compensated for that by sticking in so many random battles against weird space fauna to pad out the game length.. cos i sure don't remember KoToR 1 being that much of a slog.

Kreia's logic made little sense. Half your party just disappeared. They never followed up on the romance options. They never followed up on the assasin droids plot. They never followed up on the remote vs goto plot. Why did the planet explode? Etc..

-

JA made a bit of an attempt at opening up the stucture.. infact (as i had lower expectations this time round) in may ways i enjoyed it's approach more than JO.. if only cos it was honest about being pretty shallow and lightweight.

I thought KoToR's plot and characters were great. Loved JK, MotS and Tie Fighter. Loved Deus Ex and am most looking forward to Dark Messiah, Bioshock and Red Steel.. so it should be pretty easy to see what I want from a new SW FPS.

Rahn, Jerrec (or another Inquisitor) or Aurra Sing would all make reasonable characters for a game set in the ripe tween-trilogy timescale.

No argument.. a new KoToR would be nice.. but i don't mind waiting a while if it means they can completely revamp most of the mechanics and create a complete and more rewarding experience. A game where you can field your whole party rather than just three of them. Where the combat is more tactical and more involving, and the skills, abilities and items are reduced to a more manageable and balanced number.

Still, the best thing by far about KoToR (and KoToR2 for that matter) was the story, the dialoge and the characters. If they can take some of that, distill it down a bit, and include it in a FPS then I'll be happy. Add in the level design of JK mixed with the openness of the level design of Deus Ex. The depth of backstory, bonus objectives and secret societies of Tie Fighter, the visceral combat of red steel and dark messiah, the balance between guns, force and close combat of Dark messiah, desu ex and system shock 2.. plus a bit of that next gen lighting, AI and physics. Maybe even a bit of tie-fighter/republic commando control of ai characters and squads. I'd buy that for a $.

Still, the best thing by far about KoToR (and KoToR2 for that matter) was the story, the dialoge and the characters. If they can take some of that, distill it down a bit, and include it in a FPS then I'll be happy. Add in the level design of JK mixed with the openness of the level design of Deus Ex. The depth of backstory, bonus objectives and secret societies of Tie Fighter, the visceral combat of red steel and dark messiah, the balance between guns, force and close combat of Dark messiah, desu ex and system shock 2.. plus a bit of that next gen lighting, AI and physics. Maybe even a bit of tie-fighter/republic commando control of ai characters and squads. I'd buy that for a $.
I definitely want them to stick with the same kind of system, I'd be upset if they changed it into a FPS or something. I was happy with the number of items and abilities in TSL, if they could combine K1's great story and TSL's great features that would make for a great game IMO.

First paragraph was talking about the next KotoR.. second was talking about the next JK (or at least its spiritual sucessor). Maybe i should have made that a bit clearer. No way they will turn KoToR into an FPS (though maybe a bit more realtime like Jade Empire).. but also no reason an FPS can't have the depth of plot, characters and dialogue that KoToR had. Deus Ex had it after all, and that was years ago.

As for what i'd like to see in the next KoToR...

A decent interface might be my number one request. Fighting the interface in KoToR 2 was tiresome.. especially switching between the equipment and other screens.

And if they are going to list all the modifiers of an item (STR+1, DEF+2, etc..) then they need an easy way to see how it will affect your chracters.. visually and on the same screen. In the previous game you found hundreds of items and the only way to find out which was best was to spend time euiping and unequipping them all and flipping between equipment and stat screens. And once you threw in modified items it became a completely confusing mess.

Make stealth, repair and demolitions fun,varied and interesting. or just cut them out. come to tink of it.. all the skills are kind of pointless really in the current incarnation.

Get rid of the workbenches and allow you to upgrade equipment anytime.. plus have a few auto options that will automaticaly upgrade items when you find better versions, highlight all obsolete items, etc..

Have charisma, repair, computing, tactics and stealth based feats, as well as just loads of combat ones.

Have the whole party in play, not just three characters. Though also have bits where you control just subsets.. like the bit where they split into two parties in KoToR2.

Change the whole combat interface. The animation looks nice, and the underlying system is fine, but the player control and options are rubbish. There are almost no tactics.. its just a case of targetting the enemies with the most powerful attacks.

Have combat be mostly about issuing commands to your allies. No pause feature.. but very slow bullet time to allow you to keep control, but make things more intense. Be able to set up complex behaviours for your teammates (anyone remember the Dungeon Keeper 2 "blocker", "blitzer", etc..?) but have their own AI instincts (fears, hatreds, agression etc..) come into play too so they don't always do what you expect.

Have points where you also control larger forces of temporary AI teammates.

Don't put all the best content in obscure option side quests like KoToR2! :(

First paragraph was talking about the next KotoR.. second was talking about the next JK (or at least its spiritual sucessor). Maybe i should have made that a bit clearer. No way they will turn KoToR into an FPS (though maybe a bit more realtime like Jade Empire).. but also no reason an FPS can't have the depth of plot, characters and dialogue that KoToR had. Deus Ex had it after all, and that was years ago.

A decent interface might be my number one request. Fighting the interface in KoToR 2 was tiresome.. especially switching between the equipment and other screens.

And if they are going to list all the modifiers of an item (STR+1, DEF+2, etc..) then they need an easy way to see how it will affect your chracters.. visually and on the same screen. In the previous game you found hundreds of items and the only way to find out which was best was to spend time euiping and unequipping them all and flipping between equipment and stat screens. And once you threw in modified items it became a completely confusing mess.

Make stealth, repair and demolitions fun,varied and interesting. or just cut them out. come to tink of it.. all the skills are kind of pointless really in the current incarnation.

Get rid of the workbenches and allow you to upgrade equipment anytime.. plus have a few auto options that will automaticaly upgrade items when you find better versions, highlight all obsolete items, etc..

Have charisma, repair, computing, tactics and stealth based feats, as well as just loads of combat ones.

Have the whole party in play, not just three characters. Though also have bits where you control just subsets.. like the bit where they split into two parties in KoToR2.

Change the whole combat interface. The animation looks nice, and the underlying system is fine, but the player control and options are rubbish. There are almost no tactics.. its just a case of targetting the enemies with the most powerful attacks.

Have combat be mostly about issuing commands to your allies. No pause feature.. but very slow bullet time to allow you to keep control, but make things more intense. Be able to set up complex behaviours for your teammates (anyone remember the Dungeon Keeper 2 "blocker", "blitzer", etc..?) but have their own AI instincts (fears, hatreds, agression etc..) come into play too so they don't always do what you expect.

Oh, so this is a wish list thread now? For KotOR, in the swamp. Hmm...

Grumpy me.

Upon reaching the later events of KOTOR2, it becomes clearly evident that the game has suffered greatly from its short time in development. It's been uttered on forums around the internet but no major site has been willing to admit it or say it...LucasArts rushed this game onto shelves for holiday sales before it was ready to be released. The latter part of the game is clearly missing cut scenes, certain subplots and many elements of the main plot are left unresolved, gaping plot holes emerge that are never explained, supporting characters of the player character's party completely disappear from the game, never to appear again, with NO explanation as to where they are (evidence of these issues can be found by clicking on the hyperlinks that are provided at the bottom of the page). Bugs have ruined entire files, many gamers have reported constant crashes, having to restart the game entirely, quests that cannot be completed due to bugs, and a generally poor frame rate. The final cut scene, what some people have called a "cliff hanger" is lacking in even the slightest bit of resolve to be considered a cliff hanger.

Let's take a look at "The Empire Strikes Back", which some people have inaccurately compared the game to. "Empire" was a true cliff hanger, it was an example of masterful story telling, and though it was a cliff hanger even it had some resolve, enough to let you comprehend the story. Luke is rescued from his certain doom and is given a new robotic hand, Leia and Luke look out from aboard a Rebel ship into the galaxy knowing they face more challenges. I won't give away any "spoilers" (if it's possible for this non-ending to have any) but the ending would be comparable to ending "Empire" at the moment when Han is frozen. Complete games, books, movies, or any form of medium that is telling a story simply do not end in such a manner! It's preposterous!

Pretty much sums it all up. Taken frome here:

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/editorials/030405.asp

This topic of K2's ending is best left for for the "Unknown Region's" forum.

Why? We know about damn near all the stuff that was left out, because of either refrences to it in the game (HK droid factory) or on the disk intself (in the form of audio or cutscenes scripts).

He's right.. it was useless.

Kreia's logic made little sense. Half your party just disappeared. They never followed up on the romance options. They never followed up on the assasin droids plot. They never followed up on the remote vs goto plot. Why did the planet explode? Etc..

The Remote vs Goto part was what I was talking about earlier. According to bits of dialouge and scripting found on the PC disk, HK was supposed to show up and save him. Goto was supposed to have a whole bunch of HK-51s with him, but they wouldn't obey him because they couldn't disobey HK-47.

If you want a whole list of the missing stuff, check this out:

http://tubertarian.com/kotor2missingcontent.php

Also, a team of fans started The KotOR II Restoration Project, which aims to make it complete.

http://www.team-gizka.org/

I agree change the combat system in Kotor.

Definitely get rid of that turn base combat, I am tired of missing opponents when the animation show I should be hitting them.

KOTOR I-II shouldn't never had that boring turn base combat implanted.

What the hell was LucasArts and the developers was thinking.

I want a real combat system that fully exploit all the fighting forms of Jedi and Sith fighting techniques feature in KOTOR II and in the EU (Expanded Universe).

So, LucasArts no more turn base combat in Kotor sequels.

Please don't make that mistake again, LA

Definitely get rid of that turn base combat, I am tired of missing opponents when the animation show I should be hitting them.

KOTOR I-II shouldn't never had that boring turn base combat implanted.

What the hell was LucasArts and the developers was thinking.

They were thinking about developing a ROLE PLAYING GAME, not a dumbed-down action game. And thank goodness for it. There are plenty of action games out there with real-time combat. There are precious few turn-based games.

That said, I'd love a 3rd person Jedi action-RPG in the style of the Gothic games.

Oh, so this is a wish list thread now? For KotOR, in the swamp. Hmm...

Grumpy me.

I need new awesome Star Wars games for PCs. Post ideas here, what you'd like to see: ;)

-

I have no problem with the underlying turn-based/realtime KoToR combat mechanics.. they actually seem pretty good. The battles look good.

the problem I have with the combat is the player options and the repetetiveness of the player choices.

Enter combat. Pause. Queue up all buffs. Switch to next character. queue up all buffs. Switch to next character. queue up all buffs. Wait for bufs to take effect. Select most dangerous target, queue up 5 of most powerfull attack. Switch to next character. Select most dangerous target, queue up 5 of most powerfull attack. Switch to next character. Select most dangerous target, queue up 5 of most powerfull attack. Repeat until all enemies dead. Go to next fight. Repeat.

I'd like to be able to set up all my characters with behaviours, prefered targets, prefered buffs, prefered attacks, etc.. Eg:

Atton. Ranged. Blitzer (try to attack their support units & leaders). Keep distance. Reckless (give more priority to attack actions than defensive shields and health actions). Prefered attack: Sniper.

Handmaiden. Mixed (ranged or close). Blocker (try to protect support and ranged units). N/A. Cautious (give more priority to defensive shield and health actions than attack actions). Preferecd attack: power strike.

and then control my character. But be able to quickly and easily give commands to other characters, eg:

Charge! Attack my target! Ignore my target! Defensive formation! Fall back! Use the force (luke)! Use ranged weapons! Use melee weapons! Flank! Help me! Help him/her! Blitz! (go for their leaders and support), Block! (protect our support) etc..

character modes might be:

Attacker. (Generally attack anyone)

Blocker. (try to protect support and ranged units).

Blitzer. (try to attack their support units & leaders).

Flanker/Scout. (try to get around them to attack from behind. Using speed or stealth skills)

Offensive support. (stay behind blockers, use force or grenades where possible)

Deffensive support. (stay behind blockers, use force buffs, support feats and healing where possible)

It seems to me this sort of battle (while using the same underlying system and dice rolls) would be much more dynamic and engaging. the enemy AI could adapt (changing formation, going after specific characters, running away, using terrain for defence) and you'd have to adapt to match them.

Also, you'd need to pause the game less often, so it would be more like assigning commands to wingmen in tie-fighter than having to manually switch to each character and define all their actions.

And if the "pause" wasn't an actual pause, but a slow down to bullet time to allow you to dramatically shout out your orders that would also help the flow.

Additional options such as being able to lay ambushes and lure people into them, being able to use terrain for offensive and defensive bonuses, being able to target destrucible terrain items and interactive machinery to trigger attacks on the enemy (with the right awareness and other skills), etc.. then the battles might not all seem the same.

^^^

They were thinking about developing a ROLE PLAYING GAME, not a dumbed-down action game. And thank goodness for it. There are plenty of action games out there with real-time combat. There are precious few turn-based games.
QFE!!!

KotOR was the first RPG video game based in the Star Wars universe. By definition an RPG, a.k.a role-playing game, is turn-based and KotOR and its sequel used the d20 combat system. Apparently there are many FPS players out there that either don't understand what an RPG is. IMHO KotOR and TSL do a pretty good job at adapting a pen-and-paper combat system to a video game.

The FPS'ers may get their wish to have a combat system more like JA and JO if LucasArts commissions KotOR 3. That seems to be the trend in the industry.

^^^

QFE!!!

KotOR was the first RPG video game based in the Star Wars universe. By definition an RPG, a.k.a role-playing game, is turn-based and KotOR and its sequel used the d20 combat system. Apparently there are many FPS players out there that either don't understand what an RPG is. IMHO KotOR and TSL do a pretty good job at adapting a pen-and-paper combat system to a video game.

The FPS'ers may get their wish to have a combat system more like JA and JO if LucasArts commissions KotOR 3. That seems to be the trend in the industry.

Bleh, I hate dying because I can't hit the right button fast enough. I'm wondering if you could just turn on/off the queue--people who don't like turn-based can just put in whatever attack they need at the right time, and people like me whose manual dexterity in games suck can turn the queue on to enter the attacks.

By Jae Bleh, I hate dying because I can't hit the right button fast enough. I'm wondering if you could just turn on/off the queue--people who don't like turn-based can just put in whatever attack they need at the right time, and people like me whose manual dexterity in games suck can turn the queue on to enter the attacks.
You can Pause the combat system in The Kotor series so that may save you some time so you can plan ect on your next move. I sure hope they keep having a variety of genres in Star wars games. Rpgs, shooters etc.

Bleh, I hate dying because I can't hit the right button fast enough.
I'm right there with you, Jae! ;)

I'm wondering if you could just turn on/off the queue--people who don't like turn-based can just put in whatever attack they need at the right time, and people like me whose manual dexterity in games suck can turn the queue on to enter the attacks.
You can do just that in KotOR and TSL. Only problem is the player has a lesser degree of control in KotOR's combat system than in a game like JO or JA. For instance there is no way for you to have your PC jump over an opponent in KotOR. This is easily doable in JO and JA. I'm fine with the KotOR combat system as it is. However we all know how rapidly things evolve in the electronic gaming world and the combat system from KotOR and TSL is highly unlikely to make it into KotOR 3 in its current form. If KotOR 3 gets made that is.

^^^

If OE does KotOR 3 anytime soon, they will likely use the "Electron" engine they've developed for NWN2, possibly with a similar combat system. I doubt that they'd go to an FPS type combat system. It would be cool if they included both FPS and turn-based combat systems as an option, so that everyone is satisfied. Unlikely, but cool.

I'm right there with you, Jae! ;)

You can do just that in KotOR and TSL. Only problem is the player has a lesser degree of control in KotOR's combat system than in a game like JO or JA. For instance there is no way for you to have your PC jump over an opponent in KotOR. This is easily doable in JO and JA. I'm fine with the KotOR combat system as it is. However we all know how rapidly things evolve in the electronic gaming world and the combat system from KotOR and TSL is highly unlikely to make it into KotOR 3 in its current form. If KotOR 3 gets made that is.

You know, I didn't know you could turn off the queue. I learn something new every day.

I don't care if my PC can jump over guys and do backflips and bounce off walls as long as my enemies end up dead. :)

@MasterRoss--I feel free to exploit the pause button on a regular basis. :D

Quote By Jae @MasterRoss--I feel free to exploit the pause button on a regular basis.

Lol :) I use the pause button most of the time when i play as well ;) Some of the bosses are way to annoying though! (Malak for instance) Like 1 hit and you about dead already. Boo to that why dont they make a game where you have long saber battles etc the good guys are supposed to be good you know not be dead in 2 slashes!

That said, I'd love a 3rd person Jedi action-RPG in the style of the Gothic games.

What the hell are you fussing about?

They can make a action role playing game, I will like a lot of Jedi games to have a role playing aspect to them in the future.

But get rid of that damn obsolete turn base combat.

I will like my actions to determine the out come of a fight not the damn computer.

You know, I didn't know you could turn off the queue. I learn something new every day.
I think I made an incorrect statement. You can't turn off the "queue" as far as I know. But you can choose to play without using the pause button. :)

They can make a action role playing game, I will like a lot of Jedi games to have a role playing aspect to them in the future.

But get rid of that damn obsolete turn base combat.

I will like my actions to determine the out come of a fight not the damn computer.

I'm not opposed to action RPG's but for those of us who aren't skilled button mashers the turn-based combat works quite well. :)

Archived