Home

Tutorial : How to run Grim Fandango on WinXP!!

Stridoca

Hello guys, I was having problem issues with Grim Fandango, it didn't install under WinXP..then, I have opened the CD and copied the files to the correct directory, it works but you can't install the patch on it..so, I asked a friend that has windows 98, to install the patch and send me the files of the update, he send me and I put it on the Grim Fandango directory, I have played it all the way long, finishing it under Windows XP!

Now, I will tell you how to make Grim Fandango work on Windows XP(sorry about my english, I am from Brazil)

PS : Don't mind the WinXP at portuguese language..

****OBS : here is a different solution, an easier one, it will work for Grim Fandango installer too :

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2370547****

1-) Create a directory for Grim Fandango, like this : C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim Fandango\

2-) Open the CD1 of Grim Fandango, open the directory GRIMDATA and copy all the files to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim Fandango\, like this :

tuto1vy1.jpg

3-) The directory will now look like this :

tuto2vk7.jpg

4-) Now open the CD2 of Grim Fandango, open the directory GRIMDATA and copy all the files to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim Fandango\ too, like this(when it says to substitute a file, click Yes) :

tuto3zv6.jpg

5-) The directory will look like this :

tuto4zb4.jpg

6-) The game is working now, but you will need the patch to play it correctly and you can't install the patch without installing the game..so, download the patch in .zip and not in .exe, you can download it here :

Download(Click Here)

Download(Click Here)

7-) Open the GRIMPatch1.1.zip and extract all the files to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim Fandango\, like this(when it says to substitute a file, click Yes) :

tuto5xt4.jpg

8-) Now the Grim Fandango directory will be like this :

tuto6pv1.jpg

9-) Execute Grim Fandango.exe and play it! If you have some crash issues, try to setting Windows 98 Compatibility Mode..

If i helped you, let me know..post here or send an email to stridocarox@hotmail.com

thanks man , it worked!

before I couldn't even get the game to install on my system!

only small issue now is that the ingame menu is in brazilian.. any ideas how to get it in english? also there is some issue with the cursor in the menu ..ie it keeps on scrolling down by itself and I can't scroll up..

thanks!

thanks man , it worked!

before I couldn't even get the game to install on my system!

only small issue now is that the ingame menu is in brazilian.. any ideas how to get it in english? also there is some issue with the cursor in the menu ..ie it keeps on scrolling down by itself and I can't scroll up..

thanks!

maybe you could ask a friend that have the english version to install the patch, then he zip all the files of the patch for you and you post it here, it will help a lot the non-brazilian players =p

and with some other issues..the game runned 100% fine here, without Windows 98 compatibility..

• 2 weeks later...

2 Fandastic

once again, thank you

No, before your patch I tried to install(*.EXE), but when you sent(thanks a lot) me archive, i unpacked it. No results. I think that all problems in my Russian-official version, maybe they(translators) renamed something and this "something" do not want to work.

Same error...

now i try to find normal English version, it's too hard in Kazakhstan.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it's just the regular Grim Fandango patch, so you can download it here:

Thank you, but the regular patch works if you are able to install the game without any problem. This is not my case so I need to use the workaround suggested by Stridoca in the first post of this thread and apply the already patched files.

Bye

Added:

I have found in this forum: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=130425

a simple solution to my problem. Simply restart your computer in safe mode. Now it should be possible to install the game (for me it was at least). I Also installed the update to 101 version and the XP patch in safe mode but I think you can do it also after you restart your computer in normal way.

After this you can restart your computer and play Grim Fandango (note that you don't need to start your computer in safe mode every time you want to play the game).

Thank you everybody

• 1 month later...

The following is a much easier sollution to applying the patch:

After copying the 'GAMEDATA' files as mentioned by the original poster, install the game conventionally through the actual setup program so you can then copy the modified files after applying patch 1.01. Then add them into the "custom made" directory you put all the 'GAMEDATA' files into - there will be quite a few instances where it will ask you to replace a file - only replace CURRENT files (take note of the dates! E.g. the old ones will be 1998, when the game was made).

Or, you could use this modified Lancher: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software - then apply the patch.

P.S. Disabling Hyper-Threading in your BIOS seems to have stopped the random crashing/lockup issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so the game wouldn't install from the disc on my computer, so I just tried the above method and I now have a "Grim Fandango" folder with all the files. The patch wouldn't install either, so I just had a friend send me the files they got from the patch on their computer and put it in the "Grim Fandango" folder. Would this cause a problem? (Geez I probably sound really dumb...but then again me and technology don't really get along well >_<)

Alright, so then I had a full directory, right? The color was alright, and obviously my computer came with DirectX. So now the game runs from my hard drive. But it crashes every five minutes and junk...would this be because of how I obtained the patch files? Should I try the other launcher? Should I try adding the "good_times" thing? I don't know what to do at this point, I'm probably missing something basic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The following is a much easier sollution to applying the patch:

After copying the 'GAMEDATA' files as mentioned by the original poster, install the game conventionally through the actual setup program so you can then copy the modified files after applying patch 1.01. Then add them into the "custom made" directory you put all the 'GAMEDATA' files into - there will be quite a few instances where it will ask you to replace a file - only replace CURRENT files (take note of the dates! E.g. the old ones will be 1998, when the game was made).

Or, you could use this modified Lancher: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software - then apply the patch.

P.S. Disabling Hyper-Threading in your BIOS seems to have stopped the random crashing/lockup issue.

This guy is absolutely right it worked for me, but I don't think he explained it very clearly.

1) Copy the files as the tutorial says, but stop at his step #5

2) Install the game like normal (install it in a different folder, defaults to C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\Grim instead of \Grim Fandango)

3) Run the .exe patch file (this patches the files that the CD installed, not the ones you copied over yourself in step 1)

4) Go into the C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\Grim directory, right click, select Arrange Icons By, and click Modified.

5) Copy the files that have a different date from the others (i.e. 2/22/2007 instead of 10/17/1998)

6) Paste them in the directory you made in step 1 (C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\Grim Fandango) and click Yes to All when asked if you want to replace files.

7) Delete the old directory (\Grim) and you're good to go!

• 6 months later...

If you have managed to install Grim Fandango on Windows XP, but you encounter the following symptoms:

1. Game freezes at random when making progress in the game, both video and audio.

2. Game goes silent when coming out of the main menu (F1).

You should follow the procedure mentioned in this thread. This problem is referred to as "hyper threading." Following the instructions in that thread helped me out, so hopefully it will do the same for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I might be wrong, but I think the original post is referring to a way to play the game even when you can't install it as such, meaning to copy the files to your disc, then apply the files from the patch over them, and run the game .exe. He uploaded the files in a .zip, but after such a long time I guess they have been removed. The only other kinds of patches that I can find are in .exe form, which I can't apply.

I hope that's clear enough.

Ah, I see. That's annoying. Surely someone could just look at their registry and give you the installation directory entry?

Here's what mine says. I suppose if you add the bits I've highlighted in red, the .exe should find your installation? PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

http://thunderpeel2001.com/gf.jpg

Edit: ****! I've just noticed that they're pointing to my CD drive, not my HD (so many drive letters!), and so this won't be any of use at all! I'm sure there's an installation dir entry somewhere. There must be! Sorry! :(

new links for the zipped patch here :

http://rapidshare.com/files/56870697/GRIMpatch1.1.zip

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8jyskx

here is another solution, it will work for Grim Fandango installer too :

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2370547

and like Wikingus said, this thread was only for people having issues with the Grim Fandango installer..

Archived