Home

Animation request: Lightsaber shaving

Kurgan

Yes, we need to bring back that old favorite idle animation from Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith... the ol' "shaving with your lightsaber" trick.

And for the female characters, there's the alternative from MotS single player (oooh, what happens if I touch the lightsaber with my finger? yowtch!)

Actually, JK/MotS had basically three idle animations: saber in hand, fists/handheld explosive in hand, and gun in hand. MotS gave us two new single player idle animations just for Mara Jade.

I think this would add some needed humor and also nostalgia to the game (and it could always be optional).

Just thought I'd throw that one out there. ;)

Need....animators.....

A....greed..... :p

Well I play around with Dragon every once and a while, nothing too serious. My animations are a bit "stiff" as a MB team member said, but if you needed something maybe I can help?

I'm a complete newb though.

Every little bit helps. If its ok with razor, you're welcome to try creating animations that we might need. It would be good practice either way. I've also wanted to see distinctive "off-balance" looking block animations for when you dont parry a hit so the normal ones or keshires can be used for the standard parries. Just an idea to play around with as well.

From what I understand, Max only does animation "remixes". He doesn't know how to do completely new animations.

It's quite easy to do 1 animation or an idle animation, it gets harder trying to make multiple ones that each flow into each other. Plus if I was to make new stance animations for each I'd need inspiration i.e. pictures. :D

From what I understand, Max only does animation "remixes". He doesn't know how to do completely new animations.

I've done new stances too , it's not hard. Tinkering with dragon untill you have something you like.. the hard part for me is where too from there. I have absolutely no idea what to do other than taking screenshots.

So I stick with my replacements. So many good mods already out there to draw animations from.. why re-invent the wheel?

Because the wheel hasn't been invented in this case? The type of animations I've seen are simply replacements for the current animations, not new animations for new purposes.

As for what you do, you just gotta export your frames to a .gla file. From there we can define an animation.cfg for it and then merge that stuff into the main _humanoid.gla.

Because the wheel hasn't been invented in this case? The type of animations I've seen are simply replacements for the current animations, not new animations for new purposes.

I was talking in general terms, but okay. The animations I replaced were made by a guy named Tireces and Cyan and Purple are two almost brand new styles. I'll say it again if I have to, I'm not taking credit for any of his work.

As for what you do, you just gotta export your frames to a .gla file. From there we can define an animation.cfg for it and then merge that stuff into the main _humanoid.gla.

:thumbsup:

Ah, but this lightsaber shaving is something brand new, it's not part of any "stance" it's just a really cool, retro, nostalgia, funny idle animation that would rock (or it could be an emote too I guess).

It wouldn't step on any toes if somebody made it... just take JK1/MotS for reference...

Replacement anims are the devil. People tweaking the animation.cfg and stating their new animations need to be hung. That said. Emotes don't add anything to the game other than give the role players something to fap to. :p

What possible harm could there be in modifying the idle animation?

Wait, so if replacement animations are bad, and new animations are bad, then animations period, aren't kosher?

razor, no offense, but it's funny you should say that considering some of the content of Enhanced AND basic IS purely cosmetic!

Look, I can't force anybody to create a nostalgic lightsaber shaving animation for JA. Obviously making animations takes time and nobody wants to do it but me. But really, what kind of situation is this where animations are entirely bad?

I agree with Kurgan for the most part.

OJP is in need of new animations like any mod that wants to dinstinct themselves from others and make themselves unique. Ofcourse, I can understand. But don't criticise things that aren't being forced to you, you don't have to use any replacements. They're an option and not an obligation.

What the heck do you mean with "replacements are the devil." ?

Keshire, I have repeated this more times than I can remember; I respect you.

But my blood boils when you start acting like some "animation elitist".

It's idiocy. Don't like them? Don't use them.

I like Tireces' animations and that's why I made a replacement pack for them. I've stressed numerous times that it is not my work by any means, I did tweak it to my own liking but it's still his work. What is there not to like? Is it the fact that it replaces things already present?

I don't like that either. If we add Tireces' animations we have 9 saber styles in total. Who's the "devil" now? His animations ARE new, they're movielike and they're exactly what a sabersystem-oriented mod like this needs. With that said I couldn't care less what you think, who you think is the "devil".

Moreso, Tireces has no emotes at all in his pack. Just like the post in the saber system thread you made discrediting the "Seven Forms" idea , that line of yours radiates ignorance about the things at hand keshire.

People that think they have special rights because they are treated/act like gods, and think that they can say just about anything without any kind of argument should be hung. They're the devil, going around mashing beginner animators through the floor just because they tweak their animations with simple methods. They should be hung, again.

Stop acting like some sort of big shots, stop acting like you're "above" replacements for some reason.. it will only get you angry posts like this one. Most of what we have done for OJP are considered replacements too.

I can't believe I'm replying to this bullcrap..

Edited for cleanliness lawl.

I feel like a big shot. ;)

But I'm no coder, so I can't really enforce my will around here.

If our one animator doesn't want Kyle to get a nice smooth shave, then I guess that's that...

(was hoping for an animation that actually changes the model/texture from bearded to cleanshaven when it happens!).

I agree with Kurgan for the most part.

OJP is in need of new animations like any mod that wants to dinstinct themselves from others and make themselves unique. Ofcourse, I can understand. But don't criticise things that aren't being forced to you, you don't have to use any replacements. They're an option and not an obligation.

What the heck do you mean with "replacements are the devil." ?

Keshire, I have repeated this more times than I can remember; I respect you.

But my blood boils when you start acting like some "animation elitist".

It's idiocy. Don't like them? Don't use them.

I like Tireces' animations and that's why I made a replacement pack for them. I've stressed numerous times that it is not my work by any means, I did tweak it to my own liking but it's still his work. What is there not to like? Is it the fact that it replaces things already present?

I don't like that either. If we add Tireces' animations we have 9 saber styles in total. Who's the "devil" now? His animations ARE new, they're movielike and they're exactly what a sabersystem-oriented mod like this needs. With that said I couldn't care less what you think, who you think is the "devil".

Moreso, Tireces has no emotes at all in his pack. Just like the post in the saber system thread you made discrediting the "Seven Forms" idea , that line of yours radiates ignorance about the things at hand keshire.

People that think they have special rights because they are treated/act like gods, and think that they can say just about anything without any kind of argument should be hung. They're the devil, going around mashing beginner animators through the floor just because they tweak their animations with simple methods. They should be hung, again.

Stop acting like some sort of big shots, stop acting like you're "above" replacements for some reason.. it will only get you angry posts like this one. Most of what we have done for OJP are considered replacements too.

I can't believe I'm replying to this bullcrap..

Edited for cleanliness lawl.

Wow. You wrote that rant based off a 3 sentance paragraph of mine? Impressive.

Archived