Home

Demo Thread! (First impressions)

Cavkov

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the base layout screen useful, especially for the attack on Kamino. I love the new bunkers, but I didn't get to use them, only fight them. I definetly like the way the Zann Consortium plays, all sneaky. I can't wait for the full game, so I can go on Galactic Conquest and Corrupt a path to Coruscant, and then bring a huge force there, bypassing all the planets in between! A few minutes later, Palpatine's dead and I do the same thing with Hoth and Mon Mothma.

The Venator is not a new ship. It was in the origional, you just had to know how to unlock it.

You'll be able to build it in multiplayer too from the pirate bases if you are the Zann Consortium.

Btw I added a mirror link to Strategy Informer on the front page of Petroglyphgames.com, in case you guys dont have fileplanet accounts.

FoC demo says that I must have dx9.0c to play, but I already have it installed. After trying several times to re-install the demo and dx, I ran the FoC help tool and found the problem. Although I had the correct version of direct x, I was missing the following driver file: d3dx9_30.dll . FoC requires that file in your windows/system directory, and the file can be downloaded from a number of different sources for free (but it's not included in the microsoft dx-9c install, and EaW doesn't require this driver).

Thanks to Petroglyph for the excellent help/diagnostic tools included with the game. Good work guys. I would have never found that problem on my own. I can send you the syscheck file upon request.

The demo is great, the 7 hour download time was worth it. The new land maps are impressive, especially Kamino. I can't really tell if the space maps are bigger though, they look the same as the EAW space maps (probably just my mind playing tricks on me though).

From what I saw there is only one bug in the game. The units use their abilities without me telling them to. I switched off the toggle for the auto-ability option and they still used their abilities without my orders. I will not stand for insubordination!

FoC demo says that I must have dx9.0c to play, but I already have it installed. After trying several times to re-install the demo and dx, I ran the FoC help tool and found the problem. Although I had the correct version of direct x, I was missing the following driver file: d3dx9_30.dll . FoC requires that file in your windows/system directory, and the file can be downloaded from a number of different sources for free (but it's not included in the microsoft dx-9c install, and EaW doesn't require this driver).

Thanks to Petroglyph for the excellent help/diagnostic tools included with the game. Good work guys. I would have never found that problem on my own. I can send you the syscheck file upon request.

I was missing the exact same file from my system. Here's the link I used:

DirectX

It lets you download the latest (August) version of DirectX, which includes that file. Simply unpack it to any temporary folder on your computer, click the setup icon and it installs on your computer.

And speaking of graphics... I have to retract my previous statement about grainy graphics. The first time I played I tried adjusting the graphics settings in-game, but couldn't see any improvement. When I loaded the demo again, all the sliders were already set to max, and the game looked A LOT better than my first time around. I don't know what caused it, but I take back everything I said.

I've got a question about the demo: when I was battling on a planet I'd already corrupted, there was a small border of yellow fog on the upper edge of my screen. This happened for both the space and land battle on Kamino. Will this be permanent? Because I found it pretty annoying, to be honest.

Otherwise, that was pretty good. It was a bit strange to show things like skiprays and the droid works, but have them greyed out, however.

Those plasma tanks sure are beastly though! That AT-AT on Kamino wasn't standing for long!

Also, is the Tartan Cruiser now a Consortium unit as well?

Gah, I couldn't stand the demo. I lasted maybe 5 minutes. Got tired of sitting through all the hints and stuff. All I wanted to do was play a skirmish, I could have done without a tutorial campaign.

Although, Battlestar Galactica was kinda occupying the majority of my attention, so might not have given the demo my complete attention.

I was never intending to run out to EBGames and buying the expansion anyways. I'll get it when the price drops next year or something.

You'll be able to build it in multiplayer too from the pirate bases if you are the Zann Consortium.

Btw I added a mirror link to Strategy Informer on the front page of Petroglyphgames.com, in case you guys dont have fileplanet accounts.

YES! They finally put the VENATOR in!! When it hyperspaced in I was like this is now the sweetest expansion ever! =).

Anyways I liked the demo for the most part, no save feature though was annoying as there was SO much dialouge and you cant skip through it. I look foward to seeing more of the features and units but so far so good!

It really gave me the feel of a pirate group.

Finally got the demo downloaded. All in all, the demo was fine. Though, I'd have to agree with Phreak. The tutorial wasn't needed. It could've been optional. I quit after attacking the Kamino the first time. I was too stubborn to play it again or I just plain suck. I like the new options and things you can do. I like the Corrupt concept. I may just wait till my birthday to get it.

Doh, i didnt realise they had brought demo-day forward a day, i only just got it!

*possible spoilers below?* But if your bothered about spoilers i'm sure you wouldnt be reading this thread.

I must say, WELL worth the wait, this is the most impressed i've been by a demo in a long time.

The first thing i noticed was the music, the main menu music really fits well, i'll have to get it to mp3 somehow so i can lsiten to it out the game. I'm so glad Tyber and Urai were chosen to be used for the demo, rather than luke or yoda, or the person with the saberwhip.

PRO's

1: The Maps having terrain suitable for certain unit types, fantastic idea. I'm really looking forward to playing felucia, and using the short-cuts for troops on kamino.

2: Base Layout! Oh man, really really well done, a simple but effective UI is, in my opinion, EXACTLY what the game needed! Its a great balance between full control mid-battle like most RTS's and the origional EAW, spot on. In a way i prefer it to alot of RTS games as now i can plan my base before the battle rather than some mad rush mid-game.

3: Bribing past planets, i can see this working really well seeing that the objective isnt always capturing planets, but instead corrupting them.

4: The special abilities being automatic, is that new? I really like it, personally. The amount of times i've franticly clicked in space battles trying to make all my ships do their special attacks!

5: Garrisoning units, i was dissapointed when this wasnt in the origional, really glad to see it in the expansion.

CON's

These are really anything big, more personal preferance i think.

1: Possibly exclusive to the demo, but a couple of units seemed overpowered. I mean, i deystroyed the space station straight away using those "Star Viper" ships, but then again it was a low-level space station, so i could be off.

2: Not the fault of the expansion, but the zoom doesnt seem to zoom out much, but then alot of people complained about that in the origional so it doesnt count really. It i strange though that you cant zoom far-out (when the HUD dissapears) when you have a unit selected, odd...

3: Possibly exclusive to the demo, but the "unit weakness/strengths" pop-up doesnt often show tybers units, still mostly shows the units from the first game? But then i've only seen a few of the new units, so who can tell what the other units are like... doesnt matter anyway as you soon get a feel for what is/isnt effective.

All in all i'm really pleased with the demo, played through it twice so far and will play it some more tomorrow. I'm a little suprised how you cant change the type of corruption applied to a planet, but once i have the hang of which corruptions do what i doubt it will matter. The Buzz droids rock, such a shame they had to be 2D though, but understandable. Hopefully someone will release a 3d buzz-droid mod for those with higher-end PC's.

Dammit, i still havnt gotten to play with a droideka! :p After reading how Felucia was supposed to be very varied terrain heights (i thought that was what i read... dont quote me) i was dissapointed to see it so flat, but all the scenery being so well done makes up for that. And blimey! Those giant stormtroopers are big! I didnt know they were that size!

Aaand i think thats it, now i'm tired and off to bed, great demo though, look forward to playing it tomorrow!

For some reason The demo isn't working for me.. :S I downloaded it off Fileplanet and Saved it in .. Station D: FoC demo.. When it was done.. the File was called.. : Setup.EXE I double click it.. nothing happens.. So i unpack it with Winrar still no Succes.. Somebody plz help out!

Seems like it had something to do with the New fileplanet Download manager.. This time i installed the Update.. and now its working fine.. Gonna test the Demo in 1.2.3.4.5 Yaaaaaay!

I was very impressed. I was very wary of the new galactic interface with all the options but i got used to it quickly and when i went into ground combat. Well, i was VERY impressed and i like the infantry only bits such as bridges and tall grass. Very good stuff. I will certainly be getting the full game. Excellent stuff. Also for the first time in a while, i actually had fun playing a game. Kudos!

Well just finished it after i came back from the City.. here is a Small List..

Pro's*

*The piracy system looks great , And will make good Gameplay ;)

*The consortium has some real Kickass units,!

*Bribing ure way past huge Fleets.. is cool .. although a bit OP..

*Consortium in space..! , The Vengeance class Ships.. Although they don't have shields. They took out a Spacebase in a matter of Seconds..

Con's

- Consortium seems Overpowered.. 3 groups of Infantry with Disruptors taking out a AT-AT.. in 3/4 blasts.. is weird..

-Bribery is cool... but it is to big of a advantage. U can just skip a person's fleet and attack a planet of his.. that has a low Defence..

-Pulse tanks.. Wow.. Those things are tough.. had 3 groups of them and took out a few Phase 3 Darktroopers and At-St and the Hover tanks .. + the Entire base :blast5:

All for now.. Hoping someone makes a mod.. Just like with the EAW first demo.. :D That will keep me busy until the Real expansion :vsd:

Wow, the Vengance is cool. Stealth it up next to the Victory, take down the shields with standard weapons, then just before they can kill it, self-destruct. Massive carnage. Muahahahaha!!!

I noticed that in the demo there are 5 different taunts when you hit 1 on the number pad. Have more taunts been added to all the factions (and the other buttons for the Consortium)? It would be cool if each side now has a total of 15 different taunts. LoL "Not even a challenge". Taunts are one of my favorite parts of the original in game.

Thanks for the demo guys. Totally cool. Just enough content to let us know how the corruption and sneaky tactics will work, without giving too much away.

Archived