Home

Demo Thread! (First impressions)

Cavkov

Zanns fleet and ground vehicles have heavy shields and fire power but his weaponry has weak armor.

The Vengeance was designed to absorb incoming laser fire (a twist on exisiting Star Wars alloy), but it is open to missile attacks and anything else that eats away metal. Mass Driver Technology is also a new addition that players will find to be very useful.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the mass drivers, because they're something mentioned in a few throwaway lines in existing material--but they've never actually been implemented. It's a nice EU touch.

I'm not very interested in the Consortium, though. It's not a fault of the game design, I just simply won't play as anything other than the Galactic Empire. I'm a bit disappointed that (as far as I'm aware) there is no Imperial story campaign in FoC, so I'll have to stick to Galactic Conquest.

Unless I'm mistaken and all three sides will have a story mode?

EDIT: Poking through the XML lets me see some interesting things. I'm glad to see that Thrawn has the proper Star Destroyer, and I can't wait to get the actual expansion to hear what's been done for the voice. I wonder if it'll be the same Thrawn voice from TIE Fighter or something new.

It's also nice to see that the Rogue unit has individual Rogue pilots. That's very interesting.

And most of all, I can't wait to see Executor in action when I get the actual expansion.

I'm not very interested in the Consortium, though. It's not a fault of the game design, I just simply won't play as anything other than the Galactic Empire. I'm a bit disappointed that (as far as I'm aware) there is no Imperial story campaign in FoC, so I'll have to stick to Galactic Conquest.

Unless I'm mistaken and all three sides will have a story mode?

Sorry, but it's been said in a dev chat (or Q&A) that only the Zann Consortium gets its own story campaign.

i don't get it. when i try to start up the demo, i get a message that i need to install DirectX 9.0c, but i know for a fact that i have DX 9.0c. i don't even get that message when i start the orginal game. i'm sure that its a great demo, but if i can't even play it.... :confused:

i don't get it. when i try to start up the demo, i get a message that i need to install DirectX 9.0c, but i know for a fact that i have DX 9.0c. i don't even get that message when i start the orginal game. i'm sure that its a great demo, but if i can't even play it.... :confused:

You're not the only one with that problem. It happened to me as well. The thing is, your version of DirectX 9.0c isn't new enough. Get an update either from Microsoft's site, or you can go HERE

If you follow the link, just unpack the file to a directory on your computer. It's a Setup file and a whole mess of .cab files. Then click the setup file and it'll update your system automatically from there.

Well done Petro. I may be critical about some things from time to time in EaW and prospectively about FoC but I always give credit where its due too and this expansion is seriously A-Grade.

Its nothing new to say how ZC operates is innovative but to see HOW they will work has been not just enlightening but fun and reassuring. I have seen some criticisms that the ZC was too powerful in the demo and they were, but I believe the units themselves were not overpowerful just the number of units you could field compared to the number of units you had to engage was. I think the ZC is going to be really fun to play especially in campaign and they seem more designed for this, with their faction abilities etc. Being an add on they cant reveal too much because its not a full game obviously and they dont have as much to reveal as they did in EaW. The demo gave us a taste of whats to come and im happy with that. We dont have to wait long anyway for the full game. I did manage to see the stats for the TIE Defender and in the UEAW forum I suggested it (with the Gunboat and Ywing) should get the ion cannon ability and power to weapons to emulate their ability to link all weapons in the sims. This has been done which is cool but far from giving myself a pat on the back, in a forums ages ago about how much the defenders will cost I stated 1000. Very wrong. They will be 650. This is balanced by needing tech 5. There are a few other nice little surprises too. Im hard to please ill admit but very happy with the way this is shaping. Thanks Delphi, SageKing and the rest of Petro!

In the Demo u paid like 50 credits to bribe ure way past a Enemy's fleet.. i Don't call that real expensive :darthx

Nice demo though :king1: !

It gets more expensive after using stuff like sabotage. And you have to corrupt those worlds, too. So that ends up costing several thousand credits.

Yes the upgrades cost a fortune as well. Some were like half a million credits. Its going to put an interesting slant on how to manage the faction even if it has huge income, they need to spend alot. Bribery is a really good ability; being able to nullify a planets garrison (units produced by facilities) is nasty. I also particularly like the ability to see where all the ground units are positioned. It is good to see they included some other craft we can mod and give to other races, eg the skipray blastboat. Also the TIE defender is 850 in skirmish and it has torps! That is for a squadron of three and they are nearly twice as tough as Xwings. I think Defenders are going to be extremely deadly. They are alot more inaccurate than other true fighters but still nasty. I cant wait to see the stats of some of the rebs ships now.

The Vengeance frigates have caused a bit of a stir but if they are 2800 a piece then 2 of them should take out an ISD. Is there any truth to the rumour that their damage carries over in GC because they dont have shields? Interesting to see the ZC doesnt have a bomber equivalent...still think they should have left out the eclipse though.

True... Your right. I just think the whole expansion and story line will be great without needing to include uber weapons. I dont like them in general. All the EU stuff with superweapons really sucked. They are so unimaginative. Anyway enough about that. Im happy the Eclipse will not be playable otherwise you would have mods where people could have multiple Eclipse's and it would just get ridiculous.

FoC plays really great.

It was a good move to put a 3rd party into the game.

Everything plays and reacts really faster and more smooth then EAW.

Nearly every unit has a ability and this opens more strategy.

Again you capture the feel and spirit of SW great into an RTS game.

I hope the single player campagne has more "REAL" levels than EAW.

Again good job PETRO.

KUTGW

Great demo. Mass drivers are wicked awesome. ;)

I'm curious--I think the yellow line sweeping through a special ability, toggled by right-click, indicates that the unit will use the special ability at its own discretion. Why on earth would the auto-destruct have this feature?! I don't know if any players really would want their units deciding to blow themselves up.

Demo was good...but way too short...

Are we going to be seeing any demo mods? Did they include all sorts of content like they did in the last demo, or did they shave it down. Because I seriously want to mess around with those Imperial Darktroopers! Man those things looked awesome.

As for the mercs, well...they seemed slightly overpowered for a faction of units that thrives on NOT taking on the enemy toe to toe. I like the fact that their ships can sit in asteroids and ambush. I like their ships quite a bit. Very intreguing. It's really on the ground units I have issue with, although I do enjoy the defiler.

Question to Petro though why in the world did Tyber and wassname automatically use their powers? I wanted to use them when they'd have the most effect, instead right as I was about to select it I realize the computer randomly used it a few seconds ago to stun one unit instead of 6. Kind of annoying.

Edit: Nevermind. heh, answered by the above post. Toggled by right click. It makes sense now

Archived