Home

North Korea says nuclear test successful.

Windu Chi

North Korea apparently have the bomb. *News link*

Apparently the wasted time and resourses in Iraq have came back to hunt the United States.

If North Korea really possess a nuclear bomb then there is going to be hell to pay.

The time of the apparent nuclear test was at 9:36 p.m. EDT Sunday in Hwaderi near Kilju city cited, South Korean defense officials.

*WARNING*

Iran will be the next country to possess the bomb, in a short period of time.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They said it wa successful. North Korea says a lot of things. You might as well believe in goblins if you trust them for as much as a second. Isn't it just as likely that they waited for a convenient natural earthquake and then claim it was caused by their new toy, Mr. Nuke?

Sure, it's possible that they detonated an atomic bomb in a bunker someplace (probably ten times more likely than my "convenient earthquake" story). In which case I suppose they've gotten themselves a guarantee that the US's Armed Forces will stay off of them. But I have my doubts.

I wonder how many starving kids the atomic program would feed...

Well, they've been talking about a nuke test for about a week now - I think I heard the plan was to detonate the bomb in a cave...but though what they say and reality aren't always in line, for all practical purposes, I don't see why we shouldn't take them at their word - when it comes to nukes, the stakes are a bit too high, imo.

And North Korea's past relationship with Iran virtually guarantees that Ahmadinejad will have a nuke of his own - probably sooner, rather than later.

I'd like to send a special thank-you out to Bill Clinton, without whose diplomatic bungling this wouldn't have been possible...

And Bush helped matters soooo much by labeling N. Korea as a part of the 'axis of evil'.

:dozey:

Not really.

The Clinton admin gave North Korea nuclear technology on the condition that North Korea wouldn't use it to develop weapons...and then did nothing about it when they did start a nuke program. It would do us some good if someone would do something about the situation beyond labels and endless talks...but the rumor mill has it that the US is going to go the the UN and propose sanctions, which I'm sure will deter Kim Jong Il for all of 0.25 seconds.

My question is, when is the 'world community' going to finally stop playing PC games with these brutal dictators and start taking action?

The Clinton admin gave North Korea nuclear technology on the condition that North Korea wouldn't use it to develop weapons...and then did nothing about it when they did start a nuke program.

And who was sitting on the board of directors for ABB, the British firm that engineered the nuclear technology for North Korea.

Donald Rumsfeld.

And what, exactly, should Clinton have done? Started the 3rd Korean War? Imposed economic sanctions on an already impoverished country that does not care about its poverty in the first place (OK, so its people does, but I don't know if the government even cares if it has a people to take care of - the party members get rich in other ways :rolleyes: ).

Diplomacy's worked many times in the past, still work, and will always work. It might be too boring and polite for certain peoples' tastes, but it has a tendency of not getting people bombed, shot at, molested, and occupied. Furthermore, North Korea's leaders apparently tend to look at threats and "roughness" as challenges that merely make them more determined to reach their goals.

Nuclear Documentary.

F***, I live in the blast radius of Seattle.

I do not find any comfort in the idea of North Korea being invaded when I'm a bunch of radioactive particles of dust protons. Threats like these seem so much more threatening when there's a chance, however slight, you can be affected by them. Hopefully this'll be resolved before Kim goes even more over the brink and develops missles with a longer range...

*Devon curses the luck of those who don't live by the coast!* :fist:

Diplomacy's worked many times in the past, still work, and will always work.

Not always:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeasement_of_Hitler :)

I do, however, agree that going in with guns blazing should be ABSOLUTELY the last resort, after all other avenues have been exhausted. North Korea has a HUGE army, and any invasion of that country would be extremely costly, even given the assumption that they only had the nuke that they tested, which is unlikely.

This situation is going to be extremely difficult to resolve. I agree that sanctions will probably not work, but I think that severe pressure from China might.

I say North Korea pissing off the world: successful. Kim Jong's a madman, given how unstable the guy is there's the fear he'd let loose a nuke in retalliation to international scorn. Yeah, I know I sound like a McCarthy supporter in the 50's but I gotta say I'm scared of where this could lead to.

Unless all the major countries like Russia, China, Japan, S. Korea, and the U.S.A. are seriously misinformed and overreacting then all indications are that N. Korea did set off an underground nuclear bomb.

Diplomacy's worked many times in the past, still work, and will always work.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw red flags after reading this statement. :) Of course, Dagobahn Eagle may not be indicating that diplomacy will always resolve conflicts.
I thought of the same thing. :)

I too do not believe that the situation with N. Korea can be blamed entirely on Bill Clinton. While Clinton's decisions during his tenure as U.S. president may have contributed to the problem I see George W. Bush's decision to preemptively invade Iraq as a major contributor, giving Kim Jong-Il an excuse (not that he really needed one) to continue development of nuclear weapons.

My concern with countries like N. Korea and Iran obtaining nuclear weapons is how they will use them. I don't trust these countries to use them for deterrent purposes only. I wonder if N. Korea would use nuclear weapons as a shield to allow them to invade S. Korea, basically saying to the rest of the world, "Stay out of this or we'll use our nukes!" I think of Iran in the same way. If Iran had nukes would they then use them as a shield that would allow them to attack Israel?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw red flags after reading this statement. Of course, Dagobahn Eagle may not be indicating that diplomacy will always resolve conflicts.
I realize that was terribly badly phrased.

I did not mean that diplomacy works 100% of the time. I meant that it's always worked part of the time, when done properly and with reason. The appeasement is a textbook example of diplomacy that should not have been conducted.

So much for "5 years". Stupid analysts.

I think Emperor Devon will be safe for a while yet, i doubt they have the missiles to get that far. ;) Maybe japan, who they don't like at all. *thinks about where he is moving to in two weeks* :scare5:

I'm not doing the whole "blame bush for everything" thing, but I don't think the "axis of evil" comments and invasion or iraq helped. It basically said to n.korea and iran "you are on our list, we'll get you next. unless you have nukes.".

I guess they'd have developed them anyway.. but they might not have been in such a rush.. which would have given china time to put the brakes in NK. Basically China is the only one with any influence, but they have quite a lot.. so they should be able to control them.

we'll get you next. unless you have nukes

which is why I'm glad he has it IF he really has it. I dare Bush to go in guns blazing. Woooweeeee!!! Yeeehawwww!!! You don't mess with Texas. He better stfu and plead the the U.N. (who he never seemed to care much for in the past) like a good l'il doggie. Everytime something like this comes up I'll keep repeating myself, hell I think I'll find the original text i wrote and just paste it in everytime this comes up. Since I can't find it right now I'll see how best I can get it: America is in NO place to say who should or should't have WMDs since it is the ONLY country in history to use them and it's just damn common sense. OK you have, you've used some already, so if I get you'll think twice before using what you have left on me because you know there is a POSSIBILITY you'll get your @$$ nuked too.

I guess they'd have developed them anyway.. but they might not have been in such a rush.. which would have given china time to put the brakes in NK.
I agree with this statement. I feel that halting the proliferation of nuclear weapons is an impossible task. Delaying proliferation is all we can really do.

So are you moving to Japan, toms?

America is in NO place to say who should or should't have WMDs since it is the ONLY country in history to use them and it's just damn common sense.
Not sure I agree with this statement. I don't think America is justified in attacking a country just because they have a nuclear weapons development program. However I think it's absolutely necessary that America, in the interests of self-preservation, use all non-violent means at its disposal (diplomacy, economic incentives, and even economic sanctions) to prevent other countries from developing nuclear weapons. But if all those efforts fail then the U.S. and the rest of the world will have to deal with the reality of having yet another nuclear power in the world. I think it's only a question of will it be the Second Cold War or World War III? :indif:

I think we should take the threat seriously, but I am still not worried too much personally. Because as of right now, we are not even sure if they tested a nuclear weapon or just a mass of conventional weapons. Also, if it was a nuke, North Korea has 1 less nuke :p And even if they can make nuclear weapons, they only have enough material to make around 5 or 6.

And, remember the Patriot Missle Defense System? We could be able to shoot the weapon out of the sky.

It seem today that the so called leaders of this world are cowards.

The UN and the US is still debating on what to do to Kim Jong Yil and his criminal regime for defying the world.

It seem like this society of the world today has gotten soft since WW II, people today keep believing today that diplomatic solutions is going to work with every dictator.

This doesn't not seem to be the case with North Korea, sanctions aren't going to work with that nut Kim Jong Yil.

The UN and the US militaries better take that asshole out now, or we all in the world will be experiencing WW III in the near future.

If they let Kim Jon Yil get away with this than Iran will have a green light for go to make their nukes.

I will assume everybody knows what that will entails; al-Qaida with the big bomb.

It is time for the second Korean War or a possible third world war.

Make your choice!

To maintain peace on this planet blood is going have to be spill or all our blood is going to get spilled.

I already heard that if sanctions are inacted, North Korea is going to consider it an act of war.

So it looks like Korean War II is inevitable if the world punish that f**ker, Kim Jong.

Of course Bush chose to act that way three years ago in Iraq and he was demonised more than Hitler ever was. Act and you're branded as a monster, don't act and you're a coward. How do you win?
Yeah, but Iraq was no major threat like North Korea is now, a severe threat at that.

If no one don't punish Kim Jong then their is going to be major hell to pay, for their lack vigilance.

Archived