Home

Droidekas in space?

Darth Ablett

Now that probably got your attention! Check out the concept art for the Droideka MkII at the Official Site - http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar_foc/

And read the little description. It says something about Droidekas being able to board ships in space, and the transport Tyber was flying around in for the Mandalore mission in the demo is a boarding transport that can carry 12 of the beasties.

:eyeraise:

I had heard nothing about this, what the hell?

Let's get some talk going about this, cause it opens up a whole raft of possibilities.

There are indoor missions in this game, correct? =)

Yeah there are, but I don't see what that has to do with this.

It clearly says in space, so I see it as a way to disable large ships quickly. This could be really dangerous for the Empire and Rebels in a large battle, as one of these little transports could sneak up on an ISD or a Mon Cal and BANG! One capital ship down.

I wonder if it works on heroes - Piett, Thrawn, Ackbar...the Executor??

You certainly have a sharp eye for updates Ablett.

This changes the fundamentals of the Zann Consortium's space strategy. I'm sure Torpid will show up soon to explain the function of these Destroyer Droid boarding parties.

I know, this could be a pretty big development in regards to Consortium strategy. It's strange that it just came out in that art though, no other fanfare.

Petro, how about some more details please? :ears1:

i guess that its a hero unit... but if its buildable it will be like the Executor...

I think that Piett, Thrawn, Ackbar, etc should be buildable because they all come with powerful ships... its weird to get the ships free... considering that they are all military vessels...

Grand Text File Presents:

TEXT_TOOLTIP_BOARDING_SHUTTLE The RZ-52 Dekard boarding shuttle carries up to 12 destroyer droids. It is equipped to deposit the droids into a ship and destroy it from the inside. It has no defenses other than speed.

SECCRET Urai Fen: The battle class droideka is 1.83 meters in height and has a built in shield projector, making it a formidable threat to infantry and light vehicles.(...almost no data about the bording shuttle expect ... +The fact that Urai loves Droidekas :)

!-- Used for Underworld infantry squads and droids --

...This i found over somethin useing the bording shuttle model ...No more data

No special ability ...

This dosn't sound good for the droidekas...

i guess that its a hero unit... but if its buildable it will be like the Executor...

I think that Piett, Thrawn, Ackbar, etc should be buildable because they all come with powerful ships... its weird to get the ships free... considering that they are all military vessels...

Well, they may change the mechanic so heroes have to be built, but I don't really think they need to. It's just a game after all, and you have to pay to get to a higher tech (in GC). Oh, and the gargantuan is a hero unit - you only get 1.

Back to the Droideka thing though, in the demo the Venator being boarded had to have its engines taken out, do people think this would be the case for 'regular' Droideka boarding? If so, that's kinda strange since Home One could be boarded fairly easily then, just by taking out one hard-point.

It could be done quickly with Vengeance mass-drivers too...

I wish we could get some Dev action going in this thread! :ears1::ears1:

Guys i have noticed something in my Tekst File post...

"...destroy it from the inside..." wath do they mean destroy from the inside :edeaths: (I have a bad feeling about this)

I'm pretty sure that means you bring the shuttle up to an enemy capital ship and, after some trigger like blowing up the engines, deposit the droidekas inside the ship, blowing it up.

I would imagine the balance for this is that you probably wouldn't get the droidekas back, and 12 droidekas is probably fairly expensive.

It could be a good tactic to weaken the bigger ships though, like Home One or the Executor.

Artoo, could you find out the price of 1 droideka from the demo? This would give us a better idea of risk(cost) vs reward.

Sory but the droidekas cost is a mystery to me because there are no xml's that have a droideka, only the models were left :(

That's fine, thanks for checking! :)

With this boarding ability, which I assume would work quite quickly, and the general Consortium emphasis on big guns but weak armour, space battles involving Tyber and his crew won't last long!

I'm just guessing, but I think it'll work like this: You buy the "droideka transport" as a separate ship; it's not actually a transport that you have to fill with 12 individually purchased droidekas. Then you have to fly it over next to the ship you want to board, possibly after disabling its engines so it can't manoeuvre away. Once the droideka transport is there, it has to remain next to the target ship for a certain amount of time while the droidekas board, during which time it is completely defenceless.

The question, of course, is if doing this would merely disable/destroy the target ship or if you could cease it and use it for yourself, at least for the duration of that battle.

Porbbaly the solution for those bugger is kill the control ship and it has to take soem time no i just killed a ssder in 10 seconds type fo stuff.

I don't think it would blow up the Executor in any case, but I wonder how much hull damage it would do, or if it would take out hardpoints.

This might be something where your boarding shuttle uses its special ability on an enemy ship and, if the shuttle gets in without being destroyed, a timer starts running and when it hits zero, the enemy ship blows up. The timer bar probably varies depending on the size of the enemy ship.

It might only work on frigates or corvettes, not on capital ships?

From the concept art it says most ships, so I'd assume it works on the big ships.

Wedge, a 'dock' special ability which takes time but means the shuttle is more easily destroyed is what I was thinking, a bit like your idea.

I think all the Petro devs are over at their new forums, so no confirmation from here. :(

Archived