Home

Droidekas in space?

Darth Ablett

good question...

what else is cut?

it was cut due to time constraints...? sounds like obsidians answer bout the cut content in kotor 2 which nearly destroyed the fun caused by the lack of story related infos in the final game.. why that pressure? publisher?

Time constraint cuts are pretty common in game developement. You have a schedule and a deadline. You calculate how long a feature will take to code, do the UI for, design, balance, etc. You add up the required time to do all the things you want, and since you will likely go way past your deadline, you decide which things to cut in order to get the time down to a managable level.

Also, many times through the life of the project, you will run into things that seem cool on paper, but just don't work in the game. You can either cut those things, or spend the extra time to get them to work properly. In many cases, if you choose to do the latter, something else will need to be cut in order to get back the time to fix it.

Most game developement is a give and take of time vs. manpower vs. ideas. You can change your ideas, and you can change your manpower (sometimes) but you can't change time - you only get so much. Sometimes it amazes me that we manage to do what we do within the time given. But then Petroglyph has really good people :)

Honestly I don't really remember much more being cut than the boarding ships; we had intended to cut some more things, but we ended up finding the time to do them anyway. Actually, we added way more to FoC than was originally intended (the vast majority of the corruption system was added late in the project, and the story has more missions than originally intended). While the boarding thing would have been interesting, I don't think the current game suffers for its absence.

Time constraint cuts are pretty common in game developement...

Actually, we added way more to FoC than was originally intended (the vast majority of the corruption system was added late in the project, and the story has more missions than originally intended).

While the boarding thing would have been interesting, I don't think the current game suffers for its absence.

Hi Torpid. Thanks for the explanation. I second Anarchs sentiments. Im sure we all understand the pressures of time and manpower and are not bummed about not having a boarding feature. The expansion looks like it will pass all expectations overall and people will be pretty chuffed at the things we *will* be getting, which is alot. I was VERY surprised to read that the corruption system was added late. I am no betting man but I would have expected this was something you guys had in mind for them from the outset. Sing the praises of those that came up with the idea and for those responsible for jumping on it because this is at the heart of individuality of the ZC.

Just one thing though; im still curious as to how you intended boarding to work? May it make an appearance in another expansion (hint hint) ;P

Hmm...I'm not sure what the legality is about talking about unused ideas from a game design doc, since the documents are technically the property of LucasArts. However, in a nutshell, the idea was that the droid shuttles latched onto the side of the ship and would eat away "pips". When the pips were gone the ship was destroyed or captured. Each shuttle could only eat so many pips, and each ship had a different amount of pips. The shuttle wasn't completely removed - the current drop shuttle used for Consortium infantry and destroyer droids was originally the boarding shuttle.

It's always possible this will appear in a later product. Designers are pretty notorious for re-using ideas :D

when i start rememberin things like the time when developers needed more time for a game and any everyone was impressed what they gonna do with it till they finally release it and the hype about it got bigger and bigger cause of that...

i get a bit sad bout the financial situation these days now, that some devs have to rush their way through it and cut ideas just because as a matter of time... even if it would be just a month or somthin.. ppl are just to concentrated on money, thats the point where u gotta realize that it turned into a big business like everything else.. :-/

hopefully they will recognize one day that they gonna lose customers cause of that and "beta-status-gold-releases hittin the shelves".

sounds pessimistic, shouldnt sound like it, but as a matter of fact its true.

It's always possible this will appear in a later product. Designers are pretty notorious for re-using ideas :D

You mean in Star Wars: Clones at War :D

Seriously though how similar do you think EaW/FoC would have been to the released version, compared to if you had unlimited time and resources to make the game?

Thanks for the info Torpid. Yes I would really like to see a clone wars era version come out. There is already a couple of the main ships models done. The boarding ability would be very apt considering a scene of clone marines was cut from ROTS; I think they were either boarding a Separatist ship or repelling a boarding??? I cant remember. Back in that era they had the man power to board ships whereas during the classic era civil war the reb ships didnt carry enough troops to board and capture ISDs and such craft. I know someone already referred to some ISDs getting captured but correct me if im wrong, but those 2 surrendered at Endor? But its still possible to put it in a game; to hell with realism. But if PG does boardings, please add Zero-G stormtroopers. I love those guys. :)

Actually the whole 'republic boarding a seperatist ship' thing is in referance to a Republic Attack Cruiser that is 'docked' with a Trade Federation Battleship during the battle of Coruscant. No marines were shown, nor were they going to be.

They were however shown in the Clone Wars mini-series.

Archived