Home

My LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy Reviews

txa1265

There are plenty of reviews out for these (mostly) excellent games ... but I didn't write them! The reviews for the PC & Console versions are averaging ~8.5/10, for the PSP version ~8/10, for the DS version ~5/10 and for the GBA version ~4/10. The numbers can be hard to figure out since some sites review the XBOX360 version and apply the score across all versions.

However, I did write several reviews, and I'll link them here:

PSP Review at GamerDad and AceGamez

DS Review at GamerDad and AceGamez

This game isn't very good, but you might find the review a fun read:

Dear Mr. Ward,

As someone who has supported LucasArts and Star Wars games since Dark Forces, I felt is was my duty and responsibility to write to you and report something egregious that has happened in your company, under your watch.

That terrible thing is LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy for the Nintendo DS.

PC Review at GamerDad and AceGamez

Very solid game:

If you can't understand why last year's LEGO Star Wars was one of the most entertaining games of the year, I'm afraid I can't help you. If you avoided it simply out of loathing for the prequel movies, then shame on you. Now your salvation is at hand. LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy is every bit as fun as the first LEGO Star Wars, adds a few new twists, and is a wonderfully compelling experience.

(note: I'll update the links as they come online)

(yes, this is a duplicate of a thread from EB)

If you can't understand why last year's LEGO Star Wars was one of the most entertaining games of the year, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Please help me!!

That game was so disappointing after hearing everyone go on about how cool it was. The cutscenes were great, but the game was dull as dishwater. The trailer for the OT looked like it had a lot of funny cutscenes too, but have they added a good game this time?

Yours hopefully, confused of nebraska.

PS/ I think my wife is sleeping with my brother and my cat has run away with a drug dealer.

PPS/ I like your DS review though. I dunno why companies insist on trying to recreate console graphics on the DS. It never works.

Well, I didn't read your reviews (sorry), but from the opening line for the PC version, I agree with you whole heartedly. The first one was fun. I know that I saw screenies of a Naboo space fight with N1s, but it wasn't included to my dismay. The OT was a great improvement in gameplay. The vehicle controls are kinda goofy to get used to, but fun none the less. I would give it about an 8 or 8.5.

PPS/ I like your DS review though. I dunno why companies insist on trying to recreate console graphics on the DS. It never works.

Console graphics on the DS never work?... Eh? Since when? Then what are all these games I have for my DS?...

Anywayz, the biggest reason why the DS version sucks so much is that no one really could be bothered to make it in the first place and not enough time was put into it. What you are playing is a game that isn't even 50% complete.

N64 level console graphics = fine. Trying to match current gen hardware = big mess. (lego star wars, king kong, etc..) (From what i can tell.)

Still, i might actually have considered lego sw ds yesterday if i hadn't read txa's excelent review/letter - so that is cool.

PS/ What DS game would you recommend instead? I'm probably gonna buy a DS lte tomorrow and the deal includes New Super Mario Bros plus one of the following (i think): Trauma Center, Animal Crossing: Wild World, mario kart, ds lite browser, project rub, mario & luigi partners in time, cars, open season, monster house, nintendogs, princess peach.

(i'd be tempted by mariokart, but i'm currently playing it on my gba. princess peach sounds a bit similar. I'm tempted by trauma centre as it would use the stylus fully. I'd almost be tempted by nintendogs, but i'm thinking animal crossing sounds like a more interesting version. m&l partners i know nothign about, except it got good reviews.)

I agree that when they try too hard with DS graphics they fail. But Metroid Prime Hunters is N64-ish, but with Quake / Unreal Tournament-style gameplay that is just nuts - but the framerate never drops.

NSMB is excellent, as is Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Mario & Luigi. The last one is a RPG that one reviewer said 'would have been DS game of the year if it weren't just evolutionary over the GBA version'. Trauma Center is supposedly nutso hard. I'm wary of licensed games - I just today got Monster House to review, so I'll have an opinion on that in a bit.

Nintendogs is really good, but the gameplay is so completely different than Animal Crossing - they are both 'life simulators' but very different. My son plays the heck out of Nintendogs, but ANimal Crossing is more my thing - if I could just keep up with the weeds (somethings *are* like real life!)

Glad I kept you from buying LSW / DS ... my work is done!

You guys do realise that LEGO Star Wars could easily be done for the N64, this isn't exactly a "next-gen" game... furthermore, and this is funny, have any of you compared actual N64 games to their DS counterparts? There's a HUGE difference, it was surprising how huge in fact since the DS has no where near the power that the N64 has. It's not a case of system power, it's a case of developers being too damned lazy to use the hardware properly. And there have been quite a few DS titles that have been lacking in quality because of lazy workmanship...

As for recommendations, Trauma Center is a great game to get... but if you're planning to get the Wii version then I suggest you pass the DS version. The Wii version has a tonne of stuff the DS version doesn't have.

OK, so it might be enjoying, but I'd give it a 0/10 solely for being a game.

LEGOs are toys. You want to play with them, play with them. Fondling around with them on a screen is just... Stupid.

What's next, a game where you run around in your living room with a plastic plane you've glued together?

Seriously, if you didn't 'get it', your inner child is dead ... I'm sorry you've become a humorless adult ... you need to have kids so you can have an excuse to be hopelessly immature
It's not just toms' problem. Kids have stopped playing all across the board.

When I turned 14, I wanted toys for my birthday.

When my younger brother turned 14, he wanted LEGOs, and lots of it. He was obsessed.

When my youngest brother turned 14, he wanted DVDs, video games, and other electronic stuff.

Sad, it is. And don't get me started nine-year olds with cell phones:rolleyes:.

Oh, and you can be childish without kids. If someone laughs at you, kick them.

You guys do realise that LEGO Star Wars could easily be done for the N64, this isn't exactly a "next-gen" game...

Bah. You people (backs away grumbling).

Have either of you *played* these?

People make a blanket assumption that it is too kiddie (wrong) and that the graphics suck (also wrong).

Wow, talk about a misunderstanding...

It's not a case of having graphics and gameplay that's 10 years old. What I was saying was that by design, LEGO Star Wars could easily be created for the N64 and/or PS1. It's a very simplistic design that's so brilliant that you could definately do it with a previous generation system such as the N64. It's one of the reasons why LEGO Star Wars is so good.

We're not talking Resident Evil 4 here, but I never said anything about that being a downside AT ALL.

I downloaded the demo (I would only care about a PC version anyway) but still haven't had time to actually play it (or haven't given myself time, spending my freetime so far on other things).

I played the demo of the first Lego Star Wars, which reminded me a lot of "The Phantom Menace game" on PC back from 1999. I imagine there's a few youngsters around here that might remember that title...

That TPM game was pretty middle of the road and very dated now. Sure, it didn't have all the little fun secrets or the "humor" of LSW, but still, the basic gameplay seemed the same to me, perhaps that's why I never got too excited about it.

The cuteness of the legoland people isn't the main draw for me about legos, it's the ability to just build whatever I want with all those pieces. The more open it is to my imagination (rather than doing it all for me) is why I loved them as a kid and still do (even though I haven't actually played with physical legos in years).

Archived