Home

Does this disturb anyone else?

The Seeker

Just stumbled across an old news post but I hadn't heard anything about it before now so http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=325&objectid=10400645

Deep underground on the Franco-Swiss border, someone will throw a switch next year to start one of the most ambitious experiments in history, probing the secrets of the universe and possibly finding new dimensions.

The Large Hadron Collider - a 27km-long circular particle accelerator at the CERN experimental facility near Geneva, will smash protons into one another at unimaginable speeds trying to replicate in miniature the events of the Big Bang...

Is it just me or does this seem a little Half Life-ish

It's just a particle accelerator... nothing big. There's a 5 or 6 (something like that?) Mile long one basically across the street from me, called Fermilab.

In fact, when we watched a video in science about Fermilab a few years back, you could see my house... it's not really a huge deal.

They smash atoms and protons against eachother every day, and I haven't blown up yet.

This new particle accelerator is our fastest yet...

And potentialy the most unstable

The general population don't need to know this, they would become all paranoid just like they do about nuclear reactors...

The Scientists playing about with GM viruses have a better chance of killing us all.

I'll be following this closely. We know so little about the universe and its origins. Hopefully there'll be some answers within my lifetime.
Maybe they will find if the Force is real in this universe.

Maybe they will create a wormhole in those experiments and finally help us get to the stars.

This is really old. I've read up on it about four years ago. The thing isn't going to be bring aliens, so don't freak out. :p

There was an article in Popular Science about this thing finding the Hibb's Particle (or something like that). Its an unusual particle which will help scientists look at the universe from a different perspective. In one of the letters to the editor, a fellow asked if this particle will be The Force. The editor answered that it could be, from what we know.

Its really old and I don't remember much about that thing, but I'll dig it up and take a look.

They basically mean a "Miniature Big Bang"

Kind of like how a Baby is a "Miniature Adult"

at least that's my guess?

The real Big Bang created the universe.

If that's any sort of worthy gauge, then this "Baby" Big Bang will end up creating an explosion the size of, oh, the Milky Way.

This is really old. I've read up on it about four years ago. The thing isn't going to be bring aliens, so don't freak out. :p

There was an article in Popular Science about this thing finding the Hibb's Particle (or something like that). Its an unusual particle which will help scientists look at the universe from a different perspective. In one of the letters to the editor, a fellow asked if this particle will be The Force. The editor answered that it could be, from what we know.

Its really old and I don't remember much about that thing, but I'll dig it up and take a look.

Did you mean the Higgs Boson?

A particle that will give mass to elementary particles.

Quantum Mechanics definition of mass or inertia: standing wave energy.

Some scientists believe that zero point vacuum energy may be the Force in disguise.

Einstein's, "spooky action at a distance" is a kind of FTL comunication, which is similar to the Force capabilities.

Did you mean the Higgs Boson?

A particle that will give mass to elementary particles.

Quantum Mechanics definition of mass or inertia: standing wave energy.

Some scientists believe that zero point vacuum energy may be the Force in disguise.

Einstein's, "spooky action at a distance" is a kind of FTL comunication, which is similar to the Force capabilities.

Precisely! You're my hero, windu6!

It'd appear catholic priests aren't the only pedophiles around.

[Wonders if anyone will get this one]

boo

Go straight to Jail, do not pass go.

Anywho, its just a particle accelerator. A wonderful thing to see, I've had the oppourtunity to go inside the bowels of one!

They basically mean a "Miniature Big Bang"

Kind of like how a Baby is a "Miniature Adult"

at least that's my guess?

oh ok i get it, its relating to the size it will crate and not actually infants of the human kind...ok i was wondering about that.

Archived