Home

Does this disturb anyone else?

The Seeker

Well believing that God was the beggining of time requires faith, there for making it possible. However, believing that particles suddenly appeared, is not.
Geeze, sarcasm alert! Seeing as neither of them have what one would say an excellent amount of proof, there's little point in getting even slightly worked up over it. Besides, they're not necessarily mutually exclusive anyway.

Although your point is infact true that neither can be proven, I would say its false that neither are worth getting worked up over, as both are the very root to the theology and theory behind 2 of the most widely accepted ideas behing the orgin of life... there for deffinatly making them worth getting worked up over.

I think he means he doesn't believe in the UFOs people claim to see, nor does he believe in the events of Roswell.

If that is the case, I agree with him completely. I believe very firmly that there is most likely alien life in the universe, but the chance that they haved traveled the hundreds of light years it would probably take for said life to reach us... probably very unlikely.

So there can be supernatural stuff and ghosts and stuff but there cant be aliens?

yep...i only say this because of where i used to live before moving out in july. which was the indian reservation, or to the non-natives in my area the "burial ground". i have seen many a things that have left impacts on my life and lead me to believe in the supernatural.

like being in the woods at night hunting and seeing around 25 lights about 12 inches off the ground, and they werent fireflies either. these lights were a constant glow. rez lore tells of these lights being "gnomes" protecting the woods. they are looking for the silver offerings we leave them when we harvest sasafras root. this is so they dont get angered and destroy the forest or our crops. or out at dusk and seeing something jump from tree to tree at 35+ feet off the ground. and jumping from trees that are about 10+ feet apart and not jumping downwards either. only later to find out that other members of the reservation have seen this creature in daylight and call it the "Monkey Dog". and the noise this thing makes is enough to make you wish you lived else where.

or having your 3 year old nephew cry and scream at the top of this lungs, about the man in the corner with black eyes. he is an appartion that lives at my grandmothers house and it seems that only young children see him. and that has happened with my cousins when they were younger.

so yes i do believe in the supernatural

If that is the case, I agree with him completely. I believe very firmly that there is most likely alien life in the universe, but the chance that they haved traveled the hundreds of light years it would probably take for said life to reach us... probably very unlikely.

How is this very unlikely?

We will be traveling the galaxy right now if physicists stop studying the damn universe and start learning how to control it.

Nothing is impossible!

Why? Because you would have to take into account that alien bacteria evolved into intelligent life forms. Any scientist will tell you that the evolution of intelligence is an incredibly rare phenomenon (sometimes pointing to outside or divine intervention? who knows?). Then you would have to take into account that they evolved and also developed space travel.... Not necessarily the easiest thing in the world. Then after that you have to take into consideration that they travel in the right direction. We all know how large this universe is, and that right there is nearly inconceivable. Then, finally, we have to take into the account of sheer distance. Assuming they didn't come from out solar system, the 25 closet stars to earth (not counting the sun) range in distances from 4.2-11.7 light years. That's a LONG time to travel, even going unimaginably fast. And that assumes that the 25 closet stars all have planets, and can support carbon based life, another very unlikely chance.

So after taking all of these into consideration, yes, it is possible that alien life has reached our planet, but these chances are extremely unlikely.

Why? Because you would have to take into account that alien bacteria evolved into intelligent life forms. Any scientist will tell you that the evolution of intelligence is an incredibly rare phenomenon (sometimes pointing to outside or divine intervention? who knows?). Then you would have to take into account that they evolved and also developed space travel.... Not necessarily the easiest thing in the world. Then after that you have to take into consideration that they travel in the right direction. We all know how large this universe is, and that right there is nearly inconceivable.
Intelligent life may be rarer from their perspective, base on the science of biology here on this planet.

I believe our science of biology and the definition of what life is, is bias to the rest of the Milky Way and the universe.

Those pessimistic scientists need to be more open minded.

They also keep for getting that they haven't left the damn planet yet.

It maybe some form of intelligent life under Jupiter's moon Europa.

Then, finally, we have to take into the account of sheer distance. Assuming they didn't come from out solar system, the 25 closet stars to earth (not counting the sun) range in distances from 4.2-11.7 light years. That's a LONG time to travel, even going unimaginably fast. And that assumes that the 25 closet stars all have planets, and can support carbon based life, another very unlikely chance.
The current physics warpdrive and wormholes is almost done.The equations exist what is left still to do is to find a way how engineer those specfic metrics.

You know it was a Breakthrough Propulsion Physics program NASA was running to make warpdrive and wormholes a reality, but it's funding mysteriously was cut in 2003 when NASA was reporting some successes in other propulsion methods.

So after taking all of these into consideration, yes, it is possible that alien life has reached our planet, but these chances are extremely unlikely.
You need to be more open minded, MrWally.

:)

2012...so say the aztecs! and they seem to know what they are talking about

Aye, they do. And for all y'all who celebrate Christmas, you'll be missing out.

Aztecs are saying it's the 23rd of December.

Anyways, @Windu6:

There's a lot of "if"s and such in your belief. Yes, you may not consider me to be open minded, but trust me, I think it'd be awesome for there to be alien life that has reached us. Just the sheer idea of it alone is incredible, but facing the facts that we currently know about our universe, the chances are incredibly slim. I'm sure you've read or seen "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. Even he considers UFOs and abduction stories as fallacies, and admitted that the chance for alien life to have even developed radio technology, much less space travel, is unbelievably slim. While yes, that was in the early 90s, I really doubt that the chance has increased any since then.

So no, I guess you may consider me a close-minded skeptic, but just the fact that I have explored the topic shows that at least I considered it a possibility, no? But even after that, I still don't see it as very plausible.

Oh, and could you bring up some references as to what you were referring to when you mentioned "Breakthrough Propulsion Physics" and that "The current physics warpdrive and wormholes is [sic] almost done."

I'd be interested in reading up on those.

[quote name=windu6

You know it was a Breakthrough Propulsion Physics program NASA was running to make warpdrive and wormholes a reality, but it's funding mysteriously was cut in 2003 when NASA was reporting some successes in other propulsion methods.

Maybe you should write

NASA and voice your complaints?

Aye, they do. And for all y'all who celebrate Christmas, you'll be missing out.

Aztecs are saying it's the 23rd of December.

Anyways, @Windu6:

There's a lot of "if"s and such in your belief. Yes, you may not consider me to be open minded, but trust me, I think it'd be awesome for there to be alien life that has reached us. Just the sheer idea of it alone is incredible, but facing the facts that we currently know about our universe, the chances are incredibly slim. I'm sure you've read or seen "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. Even he considers UFOs and abduction stories as fallacies, and admitted that the chance for alien life to have even developed radio technology, much less space travel, is unbelievably slim. While yes, that was in the early 90s, I really doubt that the chance has increased any since then.

So no, I guess you may consider me a close-minded skeptic, but just the fact that I have explored the topic shows that at least I considered it a possibility, no? But even after that, I still don't see it as very plausible.

Oh, and could you bring up some references as to what you were referring to when you mentioned "Breakthrough Propulsion Physics" and that "The current physics warpdrive and wormholes is [sic] almost done."

I'd be interested in reading up on those.

Warpdrive physics

more warpdrive physics

Wormhole physics

more wormhole physics

Breakthrough Propulsion Physics (BPP) Project

It you want to know more let me know.

I study mathematics and physics almost everyday.

When or if you read those books you will find out that Negative Energy is needed for both methods to be successful.

Negative Energy is the so called vaccum energy of the universe.

Also called zero-point energy.

It was discovered by physicist Hendrik B. G. Casimir.

It is called the Casimir Effect:is a physical force exerted between separate objects, which is due to neither charge, gravity, nor the exchange of particles, but instead is due to resonance of all-pervasive energy fields in the intervening space between the objects. Or where two metal plates experience a small attractive force between them, which can be attributed to the dependence of the zero-point energy of the electromagnetic field on the distance between the plates.

Vaccum Energy:is an underlying background energy that exists in space even when devoid of matter.Also called the cosmological constant, if you wanted to know.

Archived