Home

Making a Mod

Paul2804

I have just got past the stage of compiling the SDK and can make a .dll out of it. Further than this, i do not have a clue what to do, I have a very basic knowledge of C (not C++) and I was wondering if it is possible to get hold of more detailed instructions on how to modify the mpgame. or can you get hold of the source files for a mod such as japlus? so I can do some editing of a mod and see what it does

There isn't any really easy way to teach how to make a mod... at all... :E

If you have knowledge in C Programming, a working compiler, and JKA, you're set =p

Anyway, after you compile the dll's, move them into their own folder in the GameData folder and put them into a PK3 inside that folder.

IE: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Academy\GameData\MyMod\

then you can start up JKA, go to setup, mods, and load MyMod. :)

As far as JKA sources go to learn from, you already have what you need to learn from. JAPlus isn't available to people for modding, nor are many other mods. I'd recommend just starting with your own using the JA SDK Source, or possibly from the OJP (which requires CVS to get).

Being a new programmer to the JKA source, just tinker and compile and pack it... if it works, great! if not? Drawingboard time! Same thing goes with modifying anything, really... :E

[edit]

It also depends on the type of mod you want. Server side only? Stick to the mpgame section... client and server? cgame, mpgame, and UI =)

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Looking in the japlus file i downloaded I dont see any dll's so how does it work?

Secondly I purposly wiped every .c file in the cgame script and compiled it so that it was a mod...When I activated it, the game worked normally so I concluded that it is not looking at my mod when it runs otherwise it would crash. Lastly what is CVS?

Thanks

Look in the japlus file, they distribute a single file that contains linux, mac, and windows versions. Within this archive, are many folders including .bat files to launch JKA. Look in the japlus folder and you see the .so file (for linux), and a ton of pk3's. The pk3 that contains the server dll is "jampgamex86.pk3".

When you launch JKA and load a mod, it reads the pk3's in alphabetical order, so if you have like... "a.pk3", it'll be the first file open (provided you don't have any files starting with a number).

As far as your second thing, never "wipe" code away, if you only compile the jampgame, then you only need to copy that dll to your mod's folder, the game will load up the default dll's for the other two (UI and cgame). If you wipe, compile, and move the "empty" dll file over, you're for sure to have a failed mod.

And finally, CVS is a content management system thing that many groups use to collectively work on a project. It keeps all contributers up to date, and allows for additions to code across groups go alot smoother.

Look in the japlus file, they distribute a single file that contains linux, mac, and windows versions. Within this archive, are many folders including .bat files to launch JKA. Look in the japlus folder and you see the .so file (for linux), and a ton of pk3's. The pk3 that contains the server dll is "jampgamex86.pk3".

When you launch JKA and load a mod, it reads the pk3's in alphabetical order, so if you have like... "a.pk3", it'll be the first file open (provided you don't have any files starting with a number).

As far as your second thing, never "wipe" code away, if you only compile the jampgame, then you only need to copy that dll to your mod's folder, the game will load up the default dll's for the other two (UI and cgame). If you wipe, compile, and move the "empty" dll file over, you're for sure to have a failed mod.

And finally, CVS is a content management system thing that many groups use to collectively work on a project. It keeps all contributers up to date, and allows for additions to code across groups go alot smoother.

Try Subversion instead (SVN). CVS not 2 gud.

There isn't any really easy way to teach how to make a mod... at all... :E

If you have knowledge in C Programming, a working compiler, and JKA, you're set =p

Anyway, after you compile the dll's, move them into their own folder in the GameData folder and put them into a PK3 inside that folder.

IE: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Academy\GameData\MyMod\

then you can start up JKA, go to setup, mods, and load MyMod. :)

As far as JKA sources go to learn from, you already have what you need to learn from. JAPlus isn't available to people for modding, nor are many other mods. I'd recommend just starting with your own using the JA SDK Source, or possibly from the OJP (which requires CVS to get).

Being a new programmer to the JKA source, just tinker and compile and pack it... if it works, great! if not? Drawingboard time! Same thing goes with modifying anything, really... :E

[edit]

It also depends on the type of mod you want. Server side only? Stick to the mpgame section... client and server? cgame, mpgame, and UI =)

Loading a mod from the mods section is always a poor choice. Always create a shortcut or a bat file pointing to jamp or jampDed with +set fs_game MyMod, and MyMod being the folder name of where you put your dll(s). And note, OJP is now SVN and not CVS anymore.

Thanks once again for teh reply...last two questions....(hopefully)

What do the files botlib and ui do?

Could you please give me an exampe of something VERY small I could do to cgame which woudl affect my playing experience on a public server...

thanks again

botlib does absolutely nothing for us as mod makers, although seeing some of the files does help understand some of the engine functions and features. UI is everything from the menu code.

A small cgame change could be adding something such as a clock or speed monitor to the upper right to something from adding an ingame HUD editor. But that's up to you to do really what ever you want. Be more specific by 'player experience' though.

Archived