Home

I just had to put my cat down...

BongoBob

My cat, that I've had since I was 4, was put down today.

A little over a month ago, she started having bad diahrea. She had always had IBS (irritable bowel synrdrome), but never diahrea as well. That's when I noticed, that she had gone from a healthy cat to skin and bones. We then did everything we could to figure out what was wrong with her and make her feel better. For a week or so, it worked.But last night, it was extreme, so we took her into the vet. We found out that she had cancer of the liver and kidneys, as well as diabetes, and the cancer had taken one of her kidneys. He said there was stuff he could do to try to keep her alive, but I didn't want her to suffer anymore, so I put her down.

But I'm taking this surprisingly well. Well, alot better than I did when my dog died a couple of years ago. And I think it's because, when that happened, I wasn't expecting it. My grandma picked me up, and we went there. And I didn't go back there, because I just expected it was a routine check up. But he was alot worse than I knew about (I knew he had seizures, and that we had been giving him medicine for 2 or 3 years, but I didn't know the extent of the damage until then). And then next thing I knew, I only had like 10 seconds to say goodbye. With my cat, I knew it was coming, I expected we would have to put her down. I was given the time I needed to say goodbye. And most importantly, I was able to be right by her side the whole time, except for the actual act of putting her down. I couldn't stay for that, I don't think I could have taken that.

I don't really know why I'm posting this. I guess I just needed to let it out.

yea everyone should know how it feels to lose an animal. our cat had gotten the same way except she couldnt urinate or take a deuce. she became skinny and then a lump started forming between her legs in her belly. turns out she ate string. it binded up her intestines and the lump was food waste that had no where to go. my dad had to shoot her.

but ive learned through many animal experiences to 'heal' the emotional scars faster becuase i had gone though it many times. and its good to let out feelings, your guy friends might think its dumb and chick like but its better than bottling them up. trust me u know!

That's unforunate man. :(

Sometimes my cat seems really healthy, then not so healthy all of the sudden. Probably because of his diet. He eats a certain thing for about 2 months, then gets tired of it, and won't eat, ever since we "adopted" it. Since, the stuff in most of the dry cat food is unhealthy, and some of the, for a lack of the better word, "wet" cat food, too. And whenever we let him outside, he finds some cat food that some gives him and eats it. As a result, he hurls all over the rug.

But, forunately, he's happy living off chicken breast, for the time being and has no complaints. Of my knowledge, at least. :p

Oh, well.

we had to put our 9 year old cat down a few months ago. she had something wrong w/her ears we took her to the vet 2 years ago and they diagnosed like 3 times and didn't know what was wrong (besides the cat food we were giving her, which was a bull**** diagnosis) but she'd always be scratching at her ears and they'd be bloody alot. just didnt have the heart to put her down until it got really bad where she had a growth on the side of her mouth and she stopped eating, turned into a skeleton cat basically...so my dad took her out in the woods with the .22, kinda sad as he was the one that kept trying to nurse her. i cried myself to sleep a few times and sometimes when i think of her i still cry, she was my favorite cat.

My sincerest condolences on your loss, Bob. It's really heartbreaking, man.

My cat died a few weeks ago. She got very sick, very suddenly, and I had her back and forth to the vet's a couple of times that week.

By the time they got to do the x-rays, they said it was pretty much too late. That they would have to go though really heroic measures to pull her through that would cost me a fortune, and cause her untold suffering.

I told them to put her down and not let her suffer anymore.

By the time they got back to go get her to do it, she was already gone.

More details here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2171780#post2171780

One of my cats died of kidney failure last year--we were taking her to the vet to be put to sleep because she was so sick, and she died in my lap while I was driving there. I was relieved not to crash before I stopped the van because it was quite distressing. And I thought it was kind of cool that she chose me to be the one with her at the end.

You did the right thing putting her to sleep so she didn't suffer. It's OK to be sad, she was a big part of your life for a long time. When you're ready, think of all the great things you did together.

Man, one of my cats only has three legs. We've had him since I was about three of four and I've basically grown up with him. He's really big and so ****ing cuddly. He's that bloody lazy though that when he dies, you won't be able to tell. He just lays around on the floor all the time anyway. He is one of the nicest, friendliest animals I've ever met though and it's really gonna suck when he dies.

Thanks everybody, especially to those who have also had a loss recently. My condolences to all of you as well.

You know what? Ubisoft needs to stop making splinter cell games. My dog died the day Chaos Theory came out, and now my cat dies the day before Double Agent comes out on Xbox.

Thanks everybody, especially to those who have also had a loss recently. My condolences to all of you as well.

You know what? Ubisoft needs to stop making splinter cell games. My dog died the day Chaos Theory came out, and now my cat dies the day before Double Agent comes out on Xbox.

Well, Sam Fisher doesn't discriminate between species. :p

I know what you mean. I once had an extremely friendly, lovable, and all but perfect cat a while ago. He was a huge animal, but the calmest and happiest pet I ever had. He would love to lie on the floor like he was dead, and eventually a heart attack made him so.

It really sucks when cats (or any pets) have to die. I've had quite a few go missing, and two die for certain. Thankfully, it was merciful what happened to her. Sorry about your loss. :(

My dog, Noora was 16 years when she died this February. I turned 17 in June so I was 16 when she died. It was quite strange, for the first time in 16-years and as long as I have lived she wasn't on this earth breathing. I'm over it by now, but it still had a big impact on me. I'm not getting a pet for some time now I think, it seems too soon.

Anyways, may your cat R.I.P and all the other pets aswell.

My dog, Noora was 16 years when she died this February. I turned 17 in June so I was 16 when she died. It was quite strange, for the first time in 16-years and as long as I have lived she wasn't on this earth breathing. I'm over it by now, but it still had a big impact on me. I'm not getting a pet for some time now I think, it seems too soon.

Anyways, may your cat R.I.P and all the other pets aswell.

Archived