Home

Custom Title?

RC-1162

no this isn't a rant about how the post count limit till one gets a custom title should be reduced or anything.

i was just wondering, we have a name change thread up on the main feedback board and it seems to be flourishing. now, looking at users like Fuu and Machievelli, i can be sure that an Admin or a Super Mod has modified their custom title as per their personal request, so i was thinking, why not make a Custom Title thread where people can have their titles changed, just like their names? i'm sure everyone has at least something in mind.

would it be do-able?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm dense, but why then not give everyone the ability to change their title directly then instead? The end result would be the same, only with less manual work required by the staff. Or am I missing something? :)

If custom titles are meant as some sort of reward for people who post a lot or have otherwise made themselves deserving of one (which I've gotten the impression is the case), giving everyone a custom title whenever they asked for it would negate that "reward" as effectively as if they could change it themselves, no?

actually, i was speaking for the -1000 posts people, Pottsie :)

Oh right. If the Moderators decide to do this for people, then I would have used the service, when I didn't have 1000 posts. Also I agree with your second post.

you make a good point, but i'm sure users are bored of the ol' "Registered User"

or how about this: a user gets to choose one title, which he/she will keep till the 1000 post limit without changing and then it goes on as usual?

If custom titles are meant as some sort of reward for people who post a lot or have otherwise made themselves deserving of one (which I've gotten the impression is the case), giving everyone a custom title whenever they asked for it would negate that "reward" as effectively as if they could change it themselves, no?

That is the whole point of the 1000 posts requirement. This requirement has been discussed among the staff several times in the past and it looks like it won't be lowered. We occasionally make exceptions for people who have contributed to the community in a very special manner such machievelli for all the hard work he puts in reviewing the fanfics and the toolmakers (Fred Tetra, cchargin, tk102, stoffe) without whom the swk community would barely exist. It's a way to say thank you to them.

However, with time it is not excluded that a ranking system be re-implemented.

you make a good point, but i'm sure users are bored of the ol' "Registered User"

Yep!

or how about this: a user gets to choose one title, which he/she will keep till the 1000 post limit without changing and then it goes on as usual?

Sounds good to me! ;)

- Ghost Down

Ouch. I really don't give a damm about mine. I suppose it gives some form of "i've been here longer than you" aura to the -1000's, and therefore plays along with the "higher post count, better person" theory. Just give everyone the damm thing, and maybe borrow the idea that lionhead have got on their boards, "karma" badges and power. If you misunderstand me, just check it out @ http://www.lionhead.com

It's a neat little idea, and shows taht having a big post count doesnt mean that you are "better2 than them, thus why some of the 5000+ have -respect/power.

Ouch. I really don't give a damm about mine. I suppose it gives some form of "i've been here longer than you" aura to the -1000's, and therefore plays along with the "higher post count, better person" theory. Just give everyone the damm thing, and maybe borrow the idea that lionhead have got on their boards, "karma" badges and power. If you misunderstand me, just check it out @ http://www.lionhead.com

It's a neat little idea, and shows taht having a big post count doesnt mean that you are "better2 than them, thus why some of the 5000+ have -respect/power.

It looks interesting, but it probably works in a technical community. If you ask me, it will only create more differences. Besides, we don't exactly need that system with us, it'll cause n00bs to bitch and veterans to flaunt.

BUT, we can probably award Importance or Useful badges to users, who have contributed the community in a special way. So Machie can probably get badges like Ubereviewer or Supreme Critic, etc. People can get badges like Knowledgeable, or Resourceful etc. So if a noob posts a thread in a forum full of bums, he can search out a Technical Expert and PM to find out... Get my drift?

Its like Lionhead, but I found lionhead having offensive stuff too, like "This user is best ignored." Does that create a good impression on some promising newbies? :p

"karma badges and power" -TheSuperRodian

"we can probably award Importance or Useful badges to users" -Sabretooth

Why the need to label, rank, categorize and classify people in different groups of apparent worth?

Judge people by what they write rather than by how many flashy titles, icons, numbers and group memberships they have in their side-bar. You don't need to have thousands of posts, a decade-old registration date and be a member of the VIP club to have something worthwhile to write. :)

Besides, ranking systems are just people's subjective opinions which not everyone may agree with, and may be abused, so they wouldn't be all that reliable anyway. And people who place importance in such virtual potency extenders may feel treated unfairly if they don't get what they feel they deserve. :)

(Just my personal opinion, I have no more influence over this matter than you do. :))

Why not let every one have the custom title change, and then reward those who have contributed to the forums with a personalized sig of awardence. Why does every one need to be taged as a Registered User? It's obvious that just about every one here is a registered user if they are replying to the threads.

Why the need to label, rank, categorize and classify people in different groups of apparent worth?

Judge people by what they write rather than by how many flashy titles, icons, numbers and group memberships they have in their side-bar. You don't need to have thousands of posts, a decade-old registration date and be a member of the VIP club to have something worthwhile to write. :)

Besides, ranking systems are just people's subjective opinions which not everyone may agree with, and may be abused, so they wouldn't be all that reliable anyway. And people who place importance in such virtual potency extenders may feel treated unfairly if they don't get what they feel they deserve. :)

(Just my personal opinion, I have no more influence over this matter than you do. :))

Amen to that, stoffe. I didn't support the idea much anyways. I just wanted a flashy title myself. :joy:

(snipped most excellent material)

The only way I could agree more with this is if I were standing in stoffe's shoes. :)

It looks interesting, but it probably works in a technical community. If you ask me, it will only create more differences. Besides, we don't exactly need that system with us, it'll cause n00bs to bitch and veterans to flaunt.

Thinking about it, you're right. In my short time i spent there, i was abit worried by some of the threads that were going (one labelled "thread of doom", where users could post and ask to be banned, which sounds amusing, but not when the mods decided it would be funny to multiply that time by 10 and IP ban the people...) also, in any forum, there is going to be that "moderator-not modrator2 divide, with the latter frowning and hbitching about the former just because the latter isnt the former. So blatantly flashing around status doesnt seem such a good idea come to think of it...

this sounds worringly like communism to me.

Archived