Home

Got the expansion? Post your first impressions!

lukeiamyourdad

I've been playing Conquest as the Rebs with all the tech available, and I still don't have access to Luke Skywalker, Bel Iblis, or the MC-30 frigate.

What is wrong? I was really looking forward to those new units.

Aside from that issue....

The Executor almost made me giggle like a little girl.

Tie Defenders are grim, they eat up fighters like candy.

Yoda is a badass.

And the Zann Consortium is sweet addition, but something about it doesn't feel Star Wars.

I can't wait until I figure out how make the indigenous mandalorians on Mandalore into buildable units. That's going to be evil.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so i finally got it...im in love with it but the lancet is just ubber you can kill anything including heroes easily luke skywalker doesnt reflec blaster bolts to the enemys the mc-30 is overpowered the rebels use a lot of marauder cruisers in GC and yes i hate artillery

i thought the campaign was short but has anyone noticed a possible story conflict in the last campaign battle? It states that the rebels destroyed the DS2 on endor, but in the movies, wasn't the executor destroyed there? *possible spoiler* So how could it have hyperspaced in on Kuat? Also, I was dissapointed that they didn't include the full model of the eclipse that was in the trailers. Other than that (and some bugs) pretty good.

i thought the campaign was short but has anyone noticed a possible story conflict in the last campaign battle? It states that the rebels destroyed the DS2 on endor, but in the movies, wasn't the executor destroyed there? *possible spoiler* So how could it have hyperspaced in on Kuat? Also, I was dissapointed that they didn't include the full model of the eclipse that was in the trailers. Other than that (and some bugs) pretty good.

The SSD hypering in at Kuat was not the Executor but another SSD (the Annihilator..? I can't remember the name)

My first impression is that this game seems to push my graphics card way more than EaW did. Either that or a lot of processes snuck into the background on my machine when I loaded it up the first time... Oh, well, time to turn down some settings. Felucia practically murdered my laptop!

And, hey, the B-Wings fly sideways.

Personally, I'm disappointed. I'm not sure whether it's by bugs or by design, but the new expansion basically means the Rebels (my favourite side) are unplayable.

Removing corruption on some worlds means that my entire base on the world, orbital and ground, is destroyed - I don't know what that was all about. The new units are... alright, but they're pathetic when compared to the new Imperial (air assault units, cloaking fighters, and entire new line of Dark Troopers, fighter bombers, SSDs, need I go on?) and Corrupt units. The imperials have also managed to learn how to bring in single fleets of 10 ISDs at the same time as well - I can't remember that being possible. The Corrupt side also seems to just magic rebel units out of nowhere - like Marauders and Nebulon Bs.

I don't get why the rebels have had most of their advantages removed. In EaW the rebels had better fighters and worse cruisers (which is what it should be). The cruisers haven't changed, and the fighters are..... well, to put it bluntly, crap, compared to imperial counterparts. So basically everything is dump. Wow, what a good idea. The B-wings were really, just meh. They don't really do anything more than Y wings do and they're just as fragile. The new MC30 cruisers pack a punch but appear to be little more than corvettes with torpedoes - they're too weak to be used on anything beyond lil' Corrupt units. Yoda and Luke are all very well but, as before, they do nowt against any enemy unit with punch. The new rogue squadron are pretty pointless aswell - the 'strike' ability makes pretty lights appear, and that's about it.

Practically the only good news is that the rebels get Garm Bel Iblis, but instead of being in the Peregrine he's in a weird hovering juggernaut thingy.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game if you like the imperial or the new corrupt side. But if you like Rebels, you'd do well to steer clear of it. What a waste of money....... I've never came across an expansion that ruins the original game before. I'm just hoping Petro bother to patch this mess soon or they release that cheat mod for the exp pack like they did with the original game.

I can answer some of you're concerns. When the Zann Consortium uses the Corrupt Militia option, if you uncorrupt that world it will revolt. The Zann Consortium can use Rebel and Imperial ships after using the Piracy Corruption mission. I think the Rebellion is pretty good. You just have to use them right. The bugs are annoying, but the game is still playable.

My first impression is so-so.

Firstly, the campaign is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. So well written and the missions make a brilliant change from the orginal EAW all-out-conflict. And the finale mission was brilliant.

I'm VERY disappointed the Eclipse was not included fully in the game, bar as a special weapon for one mission. Whilst one could argue the Death Star II fills that capacity, I disagree. Also not pleased that the Eclipse lacks any kind of hard points anyway - I'm not saying it needs to have weapons for unbalancing reasons, but it should have shield generations, engines etc. I'm also extremely disappointed in the lack of new ships for the Rebellion, even though I normaly play the Empire.

I love the fact we can now customise what units we deploy entirely, as opposed to having to basicaly send our ships on suicide runs so we can deploy more capital ships. Love the Executor, however, I fully believe it should of become Piett's new ship and have him bumped up to Tech 5, and replacing the Accuser's slot entirely with Thrawn.

Love the Corruption system, except it annoys me to no end that it seems to make the Consortium overpowered. Also really annoyed that the consortium is capable of destroying the Death Star and subsequently an extremely valuable planet... (well, I think so, given the fact it randomly exploded on me at one point during GC).

Also, Vader's voice is horrific. It sounds like his life support unit has been filled with hydrochloric acid. And you can barely hear what he says on the Executor.

Anyhow, my first impressions.

I think the Rebellion is pretty good. You just have to use them right. The bugs are annoying, but the game is still playable.

I keep hearing about this old chestnut, 'just use them right'. You can't use them right, because petro have not provided that ability. I have no option to steal stuff, nor do I have the option of doing meaningful hit and runs (both were standard rebel tactics in the canon). All the options I have are using various combos of daft units and it basically degenerates into simply hurling more and more reinforcements at the enemy. Whereas in the original EaW, I could at least match a fleet if I used the right tactics - now half the fire I take goes right through shields, so they are pointless.

And as if to prove my point, I just tried a rebel orbital strike, which proceeded to pound the ground with pretty blue lights that did sweet FA. I assumed that this was yet another bug - imagine my surprise when I found that it's actually intentional, and they are Ion Cannon blasts. Why in christ's name do the rebels, specifically, only shoot those? Why am I not given the option to use turbolasers? Am I to assume that I suffer a fleetwide laser malfunction and all I've got left are Ions? It's this kind of meaningless rubbish that have made me throughly disappointed with the exp pack.

well i finally got FOC.

i like it alot. though i havent figured out a lot of stuff and i havent been able to play around with it yet.

the new units are cool. corruption is great. and i hope everything else with be nifty.

the consortium still kinda confuses me. but i'll manage.

i think i would like it a lot more if my computer could handle land battles better.

theres extreme lag everytime.

but so far i'd say 7/10.

theres my 2 cents.

I got FOC yesterday and I have to say it's great! I don't know which is my favorite faction anymore, Rebel Alliance or the Zann Consortium, pretty hard choice, I'm thinking Consortium, though that might change within a week or two.

Everything is 10/10 once the bugs are gone with the new patch! :D

The Land battles are awesome, space is awesome, but the AI holy :cowdance it'll take some getting used to lol. ;)

Great Job Petro! :D

I ended up playing the Expansion on a friend's computer. As many people know, I am not an advocate for EAW in any way. What I did like about the Expansion is that it gave EAW variety. There are some unbalanced issues that needs to be addressed.

I am not too thrilled with the game in general, but I do believe that the expansion livens things up a bit. I am glad to see more ships and content. I can see myself playing this on rainy days.

To be very honest, I think Lucas Arts is now over pricing their games. EAW and FOC are just way overpriced for my taste. That is just me.

$49.99 - For the main EAW game.

$29.99 - For the expansion pack.

I see higher quality games run in this pattern:

$39.99 - For the main game. (Sometimes: $29.99)

$19.99 - For the expansion.

If the price was more buyer friendly, I can see myself picking up the expansion. Taxes drives the price even higher, so I am glade other companies are logical. Once the price comes down to $19.99, I will probally buy the expansion. After spending $49.99 on the main game, they won't get anything over $20.00 for the expansion. Truthfully, EAW and FOC should have been one game for $39.99.

• 1 month later...

Bugs aside it's an okay game. I agree with the aforementioned length of the campaign mode, the second things look as though they are just starting to begin, it's suddenly over.

I was really hoping there would be new campaign story’s for the Empire and Rebellion as well - centred around the building of the Death Star 2 for example, sadly not though.

While it's fun spreading corruption with the Consortium, it's bloody annoying when your playing as the Empire or Rebels and it happens to you, every 2 seconds one of your buildings gets destroyed :dev7:

The Executor was my biggest let down, It slows up your fleet way too much, and by the time you can get it anywhere near the action, the battle is over, because your TIES have destroyed everything. Also as everyone says, Darth Vader’s voice sounds ridiculous. I was also hoping for more control over the Death Star as well, but it's basically the same system as EaW, just with the added bonus that you can fire on ships with a special ability.

Not bad, but you got an impression of laziness on the part of the designers, and there really should have been more in it. I know technically it's just an add-on, but it is charged at the price of a stand-alone game.

I've had it since it was released, but my first impressions were that the ZC were totally overpowered (laughably so, and confirmed numerous times when trying to play against them online), the campaign was too quick, there was a conspicuous lack of campaigns for the rebels or empire (there should have been campaigns based around the 2nd death star ala ROTJ for both factions), and there was STILL no Lando Calrissian or Leia...it's just not Star Wars without Lando and Leia!

And being a bit of a purist I thought FOC was based way too much on expanded universe stuff. That's to be expected though. It's just that to me it was too much...I especially disliked the nightsisters who used lightsaber whips and rode rancors around. Wtf is that all about?

Let me put it this way: When I got FOC I completed the campaign and a few GC games with a fleet of just starvipers (with 3 skiprays thrown in just to allow bombing runs), and land forces of mostly canderous tanks and MALs (in the campaign I couldn't use the tanks so I used pulse cannons instead). So what that the land forces cost a ton? The ZC make 10x more money than the rebels and empire combined!

I was also bothered by the scale of the death star II vs planets and ships. It looks tiny compared to ships and gigantic compared to planets. I know how it's impossible to make everything to scale, but still.

Great stuff, finished the campaign yesterday but

Does anyone know what the end was all about, all i get was Silri stealing the holocron and walking into a big cavern full of Dark Trooper phase 1's encased in carbonite then it ended.

these troops in carbonite arent darktroopers, they look like sith troops from kotor ( knights of the old republic ) and perhaps they truly are because urai said that artefakt ( which lead to cave ) is 4000 years old and before 4000 years there was war betwen sith empire an old republic...

And being a bit of a purist I thought FOC was based way too much on expanded universe stuff. That's to be expected though. It's just that to me it was too much...I especially disliked the nightsisters who used lightsaber whips and rode rancors around. Wtf is that all about?

The Nightsisters were from an expended universe book, one I haven’t read as yet, so I can't really comment on how realistic they were.

I do agree with you actually, they would be better off taking more from the movies and less from imagination/expanded universe. Personally I think it would have made more sense for the ZC to actually be the Black Sun - at least it fits in with cannon more, as opposed to just making something up, completely.

I didn't mind Thrawn been in it, as his trilogy are one of the few SW's expanded universe story’s I have enjoyed, Along with Shadows of the Empire - and despite the fact, he now looks and sounds like a weedy Trade Federation guy, it was nice to see Prince Xizor making an appearance in FoC. But the majority of SW's books, are either boring as hell, extremely poorly written or both - and I find it very hard to take them serious.

Yea I was Upset that they Did'nt include lando I mean it always fun using lando and hearing his silly Jokes and Tactics and instead made a Weak ass luke and Rouge Squadron I mean COME ON :(.

Yes Those are Sith Troopers at the End and might be a Seceret Army or those Assassin things. Waiting for a Sith To Free Them.

Archived