Home

If Earth was threaten with a major danger, will money determine the fate our planet?

Windu Chi

Will money determine the fate of our planet?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will money determine the fate of our planet?

• Yes
    • No
    • money makes the world go around

Well, wait. That's a slightly different situation than what you originally proposed. Before, you asked that in the case of an impending Armageddon would the greedy use their money to save themselves and the planet.

Yes, I meant to ask this question all along.

Now you're asking why won't people realize money is worthless because the destruction of the world will render it moot anyway; the flaw with your situation is that it's only a threat of Armageddon, not that it is impending and actual. Even the most stingy of people know that life is fleeting; what they try to do is amass as great a fortune as they can. If there's only a chance that their world will fall apart, it's just a gamble and nothing more(especially more so if the world ends after their death); if it is certain the world will be destroyed, of course they will spend their money to save the world. It's always the rational choice to try and keep some of your riches rather than lose it all.

You misunderstood, I didn't mean Armageddon in the religious definition of it.

I meant to say if the world was threaten with annihilation.

Or the human species threaten with extinction.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You misunderstood, I didn't mean Armageddon in the religious definition of it.

I meant to say if the world was threaten with annihilation.

Or the human species threaten with extinction.

I didn't mean a divine Armageddon, nor did I reference to any factors that would be heavenly inspired.

So, do you agree that money is worthless to society at large.

That's a bit too general of a question for the situation you're talking about. Money won't be useless if we all die, but that doesn't nullify the fact it's useful when we live.

That's a bit too general of a question for the situation you're talking about. Money won't be useless if we all die, but that doesn't nullify the fact it's useful when we live.
It's is meant to be a philosophy kind of question.

If you agree that society won't make a fuss about the money needed to save it.

Then from a philosophy point of view, it should in my opinion, be a worthless asset to society today.

??????????????

This is getting totally bizarre.

You

must to be not am will be really weird logical leaps windu6!

You're really losing me here. Assuming money is useless or valuless in the context of a global catastrophe does not extrapolate to money being useless now. This is...weird.

Dude...what are you smoking? And can you mail me some...?

??????????????

This is getting totally bizarre.

You

must to be not am will be really weird logical leaps windu6!

You're really losing me here. Assuming money is useless or valuless in the context of a global catastrophe does not extrapolate to money being useless now. This is...weird.

What you don't like philosophy kind of discussions, Mace.

Does my philosophy discussions freak you out? :)

Dude...what are you smoking? And can you mail me some...?
:lol:

Like to joke, huh?

It's is meant to be a philosophy kind of question.

If you agree that society won't make a fuss about the money needed to save it.

Then from a philosophy point of view, it should in my opinion, be a worthless asset to society today.

It's a means to an end. A school would have little use when the world is gravely threatened; however if those educated inside the trivial building end up saving humanity, then the school has served a purpose even if in reality it and the teachers inside do little more than consume brick and carbon. By the same measure, money is worthless by itself but as the greatest mediator in the world it can serve as the foundations of society even though it is nothing more than mere paper and ink.

Money's a necessity at this point in our history. I'd love to have something like Star Trek's society with no money, but this is reality, and I don't see currency disappearing in the forseeable future. I agree with Mace--just because people would give it up for Armageddon doesn't mean they would (or should) give it up now.

I wouldn't mind a few of those chemicals myself.... :D

Money's a necessity at this point in our history. I'd love to have something like Star Trek's society with no money, but this is reality, and I don't see currency disappearing in the forseeable future. I agree with Mace--just because people would give it up for Armageddon doesn't mean they would (or should) give it up now.
You must mean a necessity at controlling the chaos of human society.

I believe money is a control variable to keep society in check.

Because nothing can't be fair for everybody to have what they wanted.

This would mean chaos.

As for Star Trek, they had matter replication technology, so currency was irrelevant and pointless.

Everybody can almost get everything thing they wanted.

They just was limited by the energy storage capacity of the replicaters.

I wouldn't mind a few of those chemicals myself....:D

I don't have no damn chemicals and I am not smoking weed or doing crack. :lol:

I really hate money.

This isn't my point exactly. I wouldn't say I hate money, as it's only an extension of the capitalistic idea (which I disagree with) behind it.

I think it would only be possible were the government to have complete control over everything. A capitalist soceity with currency is doomed.

But after my brain has been baked, fried, grilled, and otherwise cooked in a debate tournament that lasted from 1:00 to 9:00 today and will go on from the crack of dawn until 4:00 tomorrow, I'm in no mood to argue my views with any of you right now. :)

What you don't like philosophy kind of discussions, Mace.

Does my philosophy discussions freak you out?

No, your philosophy discussions just confuse me because you have a penchant for not making sense when you post in a hurry or a fit of temper, and you keep resorting to using gimmicky bold and colored fonts in substitute for coherent arguments and proper grammar. I mean, look at the title of your thread. Aside from the silly verb tense mistakes, you specifically asked whether money would determine our fate if the Earth was threatened. This is an unrelated circumstance to our current use of money and capital. It's like you're trying to have two debates at once here.

I'm sure if such a thread did arise the scientists of the world would be quite happy to work on the problem for free. after all if they fail there wouldn't be a lot of use in money would there?

But if they were to succeed? They would have just saved humanity, for crying out loud. They'll want something.

No, your philosophy discussions just confuse me because you have a penchant for not making sense when you post in a hurry or a fit of temper, and you keep resorting to using gimmicky bold and colored fonts in substitute for coherent arguments and proper grammar. I mean, look at the title of your thread. Aside from the silly verb tense mistakes, you specifically asked whether money would determine our fate if the Earth was threatened. This is an unrelated circumstance to our current use of money and capital. It's like you're trying to have two debates at once here.
Do you have anything else better to say then always putting me down?

This is a good logical question for society to ponder on, Mace.

Back to the topic at hand.

Do you agree with my philosophy question?

Or, not?

Look, as far as I understand it, your supposition wound up being this:

"Money will be useless in the event of a global catastrophe that destroys the human race/civilization. Therefore, money is useless now."

This is simply faulty logic, which is why I don't agree with it. Nothing personal involved.

Look, as far as I understand it, your supposition wound up being this:

"Money will be useless in the event of a global catastrophe that destroys the human race/civilization. Therefore, money is useless now."

It is a philosophy discussion.

I enjoy thinking about questions such as this topic.

This is simply faulty logic, which is why I don't agree with it.

This is not faulty logic, you seem to be defending society dependency on money.

Nothing personal involved.

We are cool, Mace :)

And what about while they worked? Who pays for their food, housing, clothing, medicine, electricity, candy, doggies, and other goods? Are they supposed to faste in tin sheds for the duration of the project "for the better of Man"?
The key word here is pays.

If the world is threaten then money is pointless, Dagobahn.

No matter anyone's feelings towards money, be it good or bad, it is a necessity. Plain and simple. There has got to be some system of exchange in any society.

If there were no money, then nobody would work in crappy jobs. We would have no food service, janitorial, or garbage collection employees, because why do those jobs when you don't need a paycheck to put food on the table?

Or even if we were to implement a system where people are assigned their given jobs, and face punishment if they fail to do them in a satisfactory manner, there will still be problems with resentment. Since there is no money, there is no difference in reward for a person who sits in a tollbooth all day and a heart surgeon. One of them didn't really have to go to school at all and has an easy, low stress job while the other spent 20+ years in school and has people's lives in their hands constantly. You don't think one deserves better compensation? Because if there isn't any, then the heart surgeon is getting screwed, and they will know it.

Humans simply aren't benevolent enough to work like that without any compensation. Sure, in your bizarre scenario of the world being on the verge of catastrophe people would likely be willing to part with large sums of money, people would be willing to work towards a solution without expecting pay, but this is a different circumstance. Here they are working towards the survival of themselves and the human race. Their motivation to do the work is survival. How will flipping burgers at McDonald's help save humanity?

Archived