Home

The Future of OJP

razorace

I'm graduating in december and am going to be trying to get a job making games for a living. I've reapplied for the job that I mentioned back in June and I think I have a good chance of getting it.

As such, I feel it's probably time to announce my retirement from OJP. Enhanced v0.1.0 and Basic v0.1.3 will be my final releases (barring major problems).

It's been a good three years of work and I think OJP has at least gotten close to what I envisioned. However, public support seems to be winding down and I just can't afford to spend as much time as I do on OJP without getting paid to do it.

If people are interested in continuing the project, please contact me and we can arraign something. Fortunately, OJP's architechure is configured for submissions from a variety of contributors so continuing shouldn't be too hard.

Ya know Razor, although your getting a job in the gamimg industry, it doesnt mean that you'll get to do everything you want in your job. Coding and software engineering doesn't neccessarily mean you'll have much creative control (that on top of company politics being often frustrating). Though OJP may slow down greatly, you may find yourself wanting to regain creative control by game modding again here or elsewhere.

My point is, I wouldn't retire completely until you know exactly what your getting into and how you'll feel after doing it for a while. We all need our creative outlets and game modding has been one of your main ones for a long time. It might not be as easy to give up altogether as you think. I've anicipated that at least 0.1.0 would be the last build for a while at least until people get start playing it and start making suggestions, we need bug fixes, or we get a really cool idea thats doable. At the very least, it should probably slow down for a while and we should probably be looking for more interested coders to help continue this if thats what everyone wants. I can help a little, but as you know, my coding knowledge is very limited and I can only change mostly uncomplex features that already exist atm. For critical bugs that show up, I 'll be mostly at a loss, but I have a hard time imagining that you'll be able to resist a good bug hunt once in a while, especially when it pertains to the sabersystem. :D Hopefully, our next build will be perfect and Enhanced will just slowdown to how it was back in 0.0.2.8 or something like that. LOL :p

Well, if by chance this really is the end after this next build, its been a pleasure working with you and this is the closest I'll probably ever come to helping to plan a video game; something that I think most gamers secretly wish they could do. Either way, we'll keep in touch.

Anyways, as a moderator of OJP, I don't want anyone putting a nail in OJP's coffin before we know for sure what will happen after 0.1.0 is released (puts virtual foot down). I've always hoped since I first started here that this mod would become even half as popular giant mod brother MB2 and I'm not about to give up on it until it I'm sure thats not possible or it happens. Lets focus and get this build finished.

Ya know Razor, although your getting a job in the gamimg industry, it doesnt mean that you'll get to do everything you want in your job. Coding and software engineering doesn't neccessarily mean you'll have much creative control (that on top of company politics being often frustrating). Though OJP may slow down greatly, you may find yourself wanting to regain creative control by game modding again here or elsewhere.

My point is, I wouldn't retire completely until you know exactly what your getting into and how you'll feel after doing it for a while. We all need our creative outlets and game modding has been one of your main ones for a long time. It might not be as easy to give up altogether as you think. I've anicipated that at least 0.1.0 would be the last build for a while at least until people get start playing it and start making suggestions, we need bug fixes, or we get a really cool idea thats doable. At the very least, it should probably slow down for a while and we should probably be looking for more interested coders to help continue this if thats what everyone wants. I can help a little, but as you know, my coding knowledge is very limited and I can only change mostly uncomplex features that already exist atm. For critical bugs that show up, I 'll be mostly at a loss, but I have a hard time imagining that you'll be able to resist a good bug hunt once in a while, especially when it pertains to the sabersystem. :D Hopefully, our next build will be perfect and Enhanced will just slowdown to how it was back in 0.0.2.8 or something like that. LOL :p

Well, if by chance this really is the end after this next build, its been a pleasure working with you and this is the closest I'll probably ever come to helping to plan a video game; something that I think most gamers secretly wish they could do. Either way, we'll keep in touch.

Anyways, as a moderator of OJP, I don't want anyone putting a nail in OJP's coffin before we know for sure what will happen after 0.1.0 is released (puts virtual foot down). I've always hoped since I first started here that this mod would become even half as popular giant mod brother MB2 and I'm not about to give up on it until it I'm sure thats not possible or it happens. Lets focus and get this build finished.

Huzzah!

*Frontpages furiously*

Unfortunately, I think OJP lost the inititive right out of the gate when JKA first came out. Outside our small developer community, people didn't understand what it was and were turned away by the very imposing readme file. After that, it was mod stagnantion and now it's difficult to get people to even play on the singular beta server. :|

and same time I really wish your luck your new Job and life too :ball:

I hope you make nice Star wars Jedi Kinght game for us ;)

I going to Buy your game anyways ... :D

thank you very much for made big big fun for JA game

without ojp I dont play much JA anymore so ..

I hope this Mod continuing for us too .

thank you razorace and cant wait your Final version !

Im not leaving from ojp :king1::cheers::3heart:

Unfortunately, I think OJP lost the inititive right out of the gate when JKA first came out. Outside our small developer community, people didn't understand what it was and were turned away by the very imposing readme file. After that, it was mod stagnantion and now it's difficult to get people to even play on the singular beta server. :|

It's alot about how we are promoted and how balanced and playable our final product is. In the past we've mainly been seen as just a mod with some cool code changes and an "in the works" saber system. With the fact that our sabersystem is just about done and the recent changes more directed at balanced gameplay, I think people will have more incentive to run it on servers and learn it and not just be like "well, let me now when its finished" or "well, that was interesting. Back to JA+." MB2 got popular because they were aimed at balance from the beginning and less on experimentation and now we are starting to have alot of both. Also the fact that alot of people got into it back in 0.0.9 when their wasnt much balance and there there was alot of bugs should tell us something. That and maxstate and a few of you other guys have done a great job of bringing more people in and getting people interested. Thats another major key to this.

JKA has been blessed among out of date games for having such a strong modding community (if you ever doubt that, just go look at the other games listed at jk2files and see how many mods they turn out a week in comparison). Even as it started to deminish, MB2 breathed new life into it for having fully functional and new gameplay. I hope we can do the same.

Keep on offering forth new balancing ideas everyone. Its really helping our mod alot. The gamepay balance ideas and discussion of Mcbober, tanqexe, maxstate, sushi, and everyone else are the key to making this mod stand on its own outside its creative experimentation.

It's sad to see you leave the position as Project Head, raze

However, on the more optimistic note, the project would still be in good hands, given how everyone has been participating actively in OJP's development. I like this community because everyone's friendly, willing to help one another, and share the credits where due. I've seen many other modders from other games who constantly argue with the community, often unwilling to accept criticism and ideas, and as such, the whole project becomes very rigid and idealistic on individual preferences, and not community preferences

That's the difference I see with OJP's contributors. Everyone contributes selflessly, and though we've had arguments *looks at Hockney :p*, at the end of the day, we can always agree on something. The way I see it, OJP's being worked on by pure, uncorrupted hands, and there's no fight for glory, no "I am holier than thou!" amongst members. Every contribution is looked upon as a difference, and that's the magic of OJP

Too bad we're all from different parts of the world. A party to commemorate OJP's v0.1 release would be awesome. Though my drinking threshold really blows...

I was going to post here and talk about how the nice part about open source communities is that if one person leaves, there are still others working on it, but I checked the svn log and it seems that besides from a rare entry by ensiform, razorace has been the only one to submit changes to ojp-e...

drat...

I am fairly new to this community, but I have been intending to become involved in building ojp. The problem is every idea I have falls under the catagory of 'unique changes'...

I can take up working on ojp for bug fixes, but other than that I dont really have any ideas on how to further it.

I was going to post here and talk about how the nice part about open source communities is that if one person leaves, there are still others working on it, but I checked the svn log and it seems that besides from a rare entry by ensiform, razorace has been the only one to submit changes to ojp-e...

drat...

I am fairly new to this community, but I have been intending to become involved in building ojp. The problem is every idea I have falls under the catagory of 'unique changes'...

I can take up working on ojp for bug fixes, but other than that I dont really have any ideas on how to further it.

Any and every help is welcome.

If you're up for the task I'll gladly welcome you to the team, if I may do/say so.

drat...

more than a rare entry.

In other news, I've been offered the junior software engineer job @ the subcontractor for Zipper Interactive that I talked about a couple of months ago. I'm very excited it about.

That's great. I figured that was a done deal for the most part. :D

drat...

Yeah you're help with be quite welcome. Even if you can't think of anything, the design team will always have ideas in the works if you want to help code them. Their arent enough enough good coders in this mod atm and we really need people who can squash bugs like Razor and Ensiform. The most I can do is change basic gameplay features and number values inthe code and at the moment I can't even get my code to compile after the newer changes :|

In other news, I've been offered the junior software engineer job @ the subcontractor for Zipper Interactive that I talked about a couple of months ago. I'm very excited it about. :)

That's cool man! Heard SOCOM was a great success, so you're gonna do fine there. Unless of course Everything Advertised decides to buy over the company or something

Perhaps you could rise up the ranks and then lead the team to develop a new Jedi game, with gameplay similar to OJP and a sweeter engine. That would be the day :)

Archived