Home

Some balance issues...

mattwild

Don't know if anyone else has encountered these yet.

On the Origins of Corruption map playing as the Empire, I found it was impossible to gain a foothold on any more than one planet because the Rebels were too aggressive. You can't defend more than one planet with the resources you're given at the start.

I've also noticed that the Zann Consortium is generally a bit more powerful than the other two factions.

Post yer thoughts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i second that.

well but im a bit noobish at rts games at all, so i dunno if this is my fault. but i played as the empire as well in gc and some skirmish games, and it seems like an overhauled or advanved AI, since i cant play a game on medium or hard without finding myself lost like the other factions are cheating their way up. o_O

Just played on Origins of Corruption as the Rebels and 2 minutes in I'm attacked by a force of 10 Acclamators 5 Tartans and 2 Broadsides. I still managed to repel them with a couple of Nebulons and a Marauder, but it appears that the AI has been severely overdone on that map in both ways. This was on medium.

Can we tone it down in the patch please? I could easily beat a hard enemy in vanilla EaW but this is ridiculous.

PS. An Endor scenario would be nice too :)

Or maybe as with games like Ninja Gaiden the challenge is what makes them fun. Instead of "them" turning down the AI to retard level, maybe we should turn the game down to easy and work our ways up.

I will say one thing, I was hoping to play the orginial EAW campaign as rebels or empire with the new foc cing FOC graphics and fixes but I guess not. Its nice to see that the planets are actually living now instead of cookie cutter.

Alright let me list some balance issues corupt side nuff said fighters way to powerful promotes early base rushing, bomber like always are spamed and need to be toned down.

The ai isnt any better it is just plain stupid on occcasions it sends what ever it has as u immediatly, wether or not it has a chance of winning also it seems to cheat a lot.

It's true, most of it is balanced, but there were just a few issues. I still maintain however that the Zann Consortium is slightly overpowered (particularly the space stations above L4), but that's probably because I played too much vanilla EaW. I have pulled off some quite surprising victories though., like 2 Neb Bs versus 10 Acclamators.

Glad to see that artillery has been toned WAY down though. Nice one Petro :-)

EDIT: This is starting to get ridiculous. I attack a Consortium space station L3 with 2 ISDs, 3 VSDs and numerous support ships and I get caned. PLEASE sort this out.

Skiprays are unbelievably powerful. They are the Consortium equivalent of Defenders or B-wings, ie. a multi-purpose fighterbomber. I got the Executor stuck behind some asteroids over Nal Hutta and the spawns from a L2 station almost killed it, and would have done if it weren't for my constant fighter spamming from the Executor itself. Maybe we should put together a list of the units that are unbalanced?

Skipray Blastboat

Consortium Space Stations (particularly L3>)

Need more piracy missions too, those are very fun and give good bonuses, there just aren't many of them about.

Has anyone found the orbital bombardment to be a bit, well, crap for the Rebels? Just some ion blasts? What happened to turbolasers?

ARGH! Please, please tone down the Consortium. I took Myrkr from the Rebels and 10 seconds later a huge fleet of Interceptor IV frigates blows me out the system before I've got a chance to build a space station. It's ridiculous and doesn't exactly encourage me to play Galactic Conquest.

Yes while i expected the ZC to be pretty tough in the campaign and I like the more aggressive imperial AI, but ive had decent Imp fleets (30-40 cap including 2-4 ISDs) attack my lone ZC space stations (lvl 4/lvl 5) and get either destroyed or beaten off. I doubt either the rebs or imps could do the same. One thing which pizzed me off royally and could possibly be a bug is that I have had some of my space stations lose a tech level. I thought this may have been because the station was damaged in an attack and we are now forced to re-upgrade to repair but after a check of my other stations later on another which hadnt been attacked had lost a tech level.

oh that stuff.

well. cant say im missing it, but.. maybe a lil bit, since i couldnt even remember.. but i knew somthing was missing.

but to the balance thing. its not the ZC which is overpowered, the whole AI got tweaked.

shall i tell u how big the fleets of the rebels are when they start attacking me? on medium difficulty, with home one, bout 10 neb b's and mark 2, and round bout 30-40 fighter squads mixed of all of them, plus like 3-5 of these nasty mc30.. no chance to defend myself, even with the executor and a few ISDs and numoruous tie squads of all kinds. the bombers and mc30s blowin my capitol ships into pieces before i ended the words "holy ****" lol... :/ .... lol

Im going to hold back from a dark side rage about balance but after finishing the campaign and finally finding some time to play some skirmish games, I can safely say that, AI improvements aside, the ZC is unbalanced in space. I didnt have time to test them on the ground yet so again I will reserve judgement/criticism. I agree with Executor1608 in that easy level is far too easy. On the new Geonosis map (standard test for 1v1) after multiple games on medium, testing different strategies etc, its my humble opinion that the ZC craft are FAR superior than their comparable Imperial craft. I havent had a chance to test vs Rebs yet. The ZC space stations are far more resilient than the Imperials (posibbly due to their centralised design and arrayment of hardpoints); Interceptor 4s are superior to Acclamators (primarily due to their speed maneuverability and great special ability), Vengeance frigates are very tough and wipe the floor with VSDs. One of the main imbalances is the ZC corvettes point defence lasers which nullify missile weaponry. While they are not very tough themselves this ability, especially when attacking in cooperation with Int 4s and Vengeance ships (which both have weapons or special attacks that bypass shields and cause considerable damage) is overly powerful. I didnt even get to fight against the ZC capital ships but having used them in the campaign I know how they would compare. If I have to pull stats from the game I will but Ive played this game long enough to see when something is not balanced without needing to view the stats. In one mission on the Geonosis map I captured ALL mines and destroyed the ZC supply depot within the first five minutes, effectively giving them no income, yet they were still able to put up a huge fight. I expect quite a few modest changes for the ZC in the next patch.

Archived