Home

Unleashed

Rabish Bini

I have the DVD. Its a great movie.

I'm one of the people that expected more action. I mean, its freaking Jet Li! Instead, I got a drama. The thing is, I didn't mind at all. There is action in the movie, but unlike most action movies, the story is important. Most action movies are carbon copies of each other.

I really like Jet Li in this. He really showed that he can do more than just fight. But when he does, its pretty damn good.

Strictly fight-choreography speaking, comparing other jet Li choreography with this you get a jet li making his best to act like a 90 year old geezer. The choregraphy is so far off the point that I just don't understand what went wrong. You have jet li a martial artist of tremendous skill and yuen woo ping as martial art choregrapher and you get an ultra slow moving jet li and frankly uninteresting fights. They neither go for the over-the-top hong kong choregraphy nor the realistic. It's a sort of amalgam between the both that manages to make the choreography in general, lacking.

Also when you have the #2 martial artist in the world as a leading man in a movie, then the movie should theoretically be 70% martial arts 30% story, Unleashed is 80%story and 20% martial arts. It's like hiring Leslie Nielsen to do the original 4 hour Hamlet.

Let me rephrase that, no one watches a Jet li movie for the heavy-handed drama and exquisite mis-en-scéne moments of long uncut dialog. There are 1 000 000 actors who can do heavy handed drama (and much better) but there are only a handful that can do the visual fight-tricks that jet li can. So a jet li movie should use that talent, that makes jet li unique, instead of wasting his potential to do mainstream fluff.

Archived