Home

Goodbye, Vader (or: How the Executor really was destroyed)

YertyL

Well, we now all know how the Executor really was destroyed and all people disapppointed with the A-Wing theory can relax : The Executor wasn't destroyed by the rebel fleet or some random bridge hit, but had to explode when Vader died above the DSII (when watching the movie, you'll notice how simultaneous the events are).

Seriously, this thread is about Vader's new role in FOC. IMHO that role does not represent his movie-self at all.

In the EAW Vanilla we had Vader primarily as an extremly strong ground hero (with only one true weakness, artillery fire) and in space as a good fighter unit that also was pretty indestructable thanks to its special. IMO that represented his movie-self as a superbly skilled Sith Lord and "best star pilot in the galaxy" very well. He could be used in both ground and space evenly, because even though his primary strength lay in ground battles, you didn't risk much when using him in space because of his high durability and special abillity.

Now in FOC Vader's role as both fighter and strong ground unit has practically disappeared. First, we only get Vader as a "super unit" (similar to the DS), practically when the game is already over. Second, we get him only in a colossal and extremly expensive ship; While it is pretty cool to have Vader as an extremly powerful unit in space too, the cost and worth of the Executor pretty much prevents any only slightly cautious player from ever using him in a ground battle, since his loss means the loss of the backbone of your starfleet and Vader now is not only weak to artillery fire, but also Ysalimari cages, Vronskr, Yoda and to an extent Ben and Luke.

All movies of the OT IMO show that Vader likes to do things with his own hands (e.g. he leads the fighters defending the first DS himself or enters Echo base as the first of his troops). In FOC Vader becomes a second Moff Tarkin, only there to supervise a mechanical colossus.

So in conclusion I suggest making Vader available again at tech lvl 4, give Piett the Executor and let Vader again control the TIE Advanced X1 (not very original, I know :) ). It would be nice to see some lightsaber duels again!

i dont have FOC yet (im from spain) but i have a doubt about the executor how powerful is it? i know bombers can take it down easy but i want to know how it does against other big ships like the mon cals cruisers or those big zann's ships also would be easier if devs put the hability to launch vader in his TIE from the executor...

I would of liked it if Piett had the Executor, but if Vader was in a battle with the Executor, Vader would also be in it with Piett, but had the ability to launch his Tie Advanced at any time.

If Vader wasn't in a battle with Piett he would be in his Tie Advanced.

What i a trying to say is that the Executor could still be used as Vader's ship, but Vader could also do his own thing and leave it behind with Piett.

In the films, Vader has a habit of this.

Erm have you actually seen all the Star Wars movies? In Space Vader is always on his command ship. There was only ONE time he took his Tie Ad out and it was a only a plot motive to get him off the Death Star before it exploded. I'd Say he belongs in the Executor definatly.

• 3 weeks later...
The game itself is fairly buggy/incomplete. Several planets objectives are missing and when an enemy fleet is incoming for the Empire it says "Ysalamiri cage constructing".

LOL, I was wondering why I kept hearing that phrase. I have only owned the expansion for about 12 hours, so I've played only a few hours of GC. I was playing as the rebels and kept hearing that, often before ANY fleet would jump into one of my systems, though sometimes it would appear that it was whenever one of the empire's systems was getting hit.

It has been fixed by the fans already.

The spawn is one at a time at 8 seconds random TIE, Intercepter, Bomber, Defenders in some number limits of 32, 24, 12, 5 IIRC I need to look at the XML again.

I been changing some thing for my liking -the game is quite frenzy at the moment. I like a more slower massive tactical fights. And get the AI to work with it too.

LUA scripts encryted again for now -if you want major changes to behaviour.

Archived