Home

Jesus Camp - Religion or Brainwashing?

jon_hill987

I don't go to church, I used to go on and off, but since i moved to a different area it's been about 5 years, and I HATE when people are all religous about going, like what's the freaking point of it, it doesn't make you a better person for going, it ends up being more of a social club. And that's all I have to say about that. :p

Exactly. My experiance with religion has shown it to be very 'kliquey' especially in churches where all the people would have grown up together, making it very hard for newcomers that the church tries to gather to find themselves.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That might be the opinion of those who watch too much prequal Star Wars and V for Vendetta. The idea of Jesus Camp being some Bush orchastrated religious indoctranation, in all seriousness, is possible, but highly unlikely. If Bush were to run for another term (really he cannot, but if somehow he was able to) then you can make all the Palpatine and Sutler comparisons you wish and be dead on the money with stuff like Jesus Camp about.

Never say never, Nancy.

I believe something is up with Bush and his administration.

With that Jesus Camp and that extremist group Army of God I have some dangerous suspicions.

What the hell are the intentions of these people?

Are they now trying to force Christian religious views in the U.S. by brainwashing children?

Because their mission in the future when they are old enough will be to "take back America for Christ", by any means possible.

Since extremist groups like the Army of God have apparently failed by the use of violence.

• 1 month later...

Having actually watched the movie by now, I'm even more apalled by the whole concept. This is wholesale indoctrination of innocent children, made even more disturbing by the fact that the kids are being outright lied to.

What'd happen to this world if everyone were like these people? I shudder to think.

If you ask me, the most disturbing portion was when they attributed microphone problems to the Devil.

I somewhat agree there, as there are people out there that think if you don't go to church, that you're living in sin/ going to hell. Instead they should be living a 'love thy neighbor as thyself' and 'love god with all your heart' as those 2 commandments is all you need the rest falls into place. :)

I put that one to the people at inpersuitofgod.com, I asked why you had to go to church and believe in God/Jesus to get into heaven, surely if you are a good person God would let you in even if you were an Atheist? Apparently he wont, to believe in Jesus is to be a good person and Atheists are just evil Heathens (yes I did point out that Heathenism is a religion of it's own and as Atheists by definition believe in no gods of any kind they couldn't be one).

I got kicked off the forum eventually for "preaching heresy" (read pointing out contradictions in the bible, putting froward the evidence for evolution, that sort of thing). Basically they couldn't answer my questions and that upset them.

Seriously the best arguments they came up with were all circular proofs, God wrote the bible, ergo the bible must be right, the bible says God did it, QED.

It's sad that some people watch that video and come to the conclusion that all Christians are like that. I figured they were crazy as soon as I saw them praying before a picture of George Bush. Idolatry in any form is wrong and goes completely against what the Bible says.

@jon_hill987: I'm a Christian and I certainly don't think you have to go to church to get into Heaven. Especially with how most preachers nowadays have to throw their political views into their sermons (which is one of the reasons I don't go to the church I used to go to anymore).

In case that was directed at me, I'm certainly not saying all Christians are like that.

I don't know if they were worshipping Bush as a religious idol or praying to him, it's just that as he in their minds (quote) "has given credibility to the Christians" [paraphrased], they pray for him to succeed in his current position as President.

I put that one to the people at inpersuitofgod.com, I asked why you had to go to church and believe in God/Jesus to get into heaven, surely if you are a good person God would let you in even if you were an Atheist? Apparently he wont, to believe in Jesus is to be a good person and Atheists are just evil Heathens (yes I did point out that Heathenism is a religion of it's own and as Atheists by definition believe in no gods of any kind they couldn't be one).

I got kicked off the forum eventually for "preaching heresy" (read pointing out contradictions in the bible, putting froward the evidence for evolution, that sort of thing). Basically they couldn't answer my questions and that upset them.

Seriously the best arguments they came up with were all circular proofs, God wrote the bible, ergo the bible must be right, the bible says God did it, QED.

Y'know, this is why I don't tend to get into the religious threads. You're just never going to argue someone out of their religious beliefs. It's just not going to happen. Trying to get devout people to admit they're wrong about what they believe is a fool's game, IMHO.

@jon_hill987: I'm a Christian and I certainly don't think you have to go to church to get into Heaven.

Yeah, no where in the Bible does it say 'Thou art going to Hell if thou dost not attend Church'. However, you miss out on some of the benefits, tangible and intangible, when you aren't part of a community as a Christian. When you go to church (and you have to find one you like), you share time with God and other Christians. When good and bad things happen, you share those things with others who share your faith and have a similar worldview.

Some things are very practical benefits as well. When I was in a car accident when I was 36 weeks pregnant, (everyone was fine, thank goodness), Jimbo took the train home and walked over to our church a block away to ask if someone could give him a ride to the hospital, and several people were more than happy to help him out and give him a ride not only to the hospital but waited and gave him a ride back to the car (which was safe to drive). After I had my youngest by c-section, our Sunday school got together and brought over meals for us after Jimbo went back to work. They did this every other day or so for 2 weeks, and it was a huge help because we didn't have any family living nearby who could come in to help, and taking care of an infant after major surgery is just plain hard. They checked to make sure we were all right, talked with me (I needed the adult conversation :) ), offered to pick up things at the store for us, take laundry up and down stairs for us (I wasn't supposed to carry anything heavy or do stairs) and many other little things that are really difficult to do when you're in that situation. They prayed for an uneventful recovery (which it was, happily) and mini-Jae's good health, and just knowing they were thinking of us was an encouragement.

I don't want to imply in the least that non-Christians don't have a small community of friends or folks in their respective houses of worship who would help out in a similar fashion, because they certainly do. However, I do think it's part of Christian culture to help each other out and so I think it's easier for us to serve as each other's safety nets in hard times. It's important to be part of a church community not only so you can help others, but so others can help you also when you have a difficult situation to deal with, in addition to being with others of like faith for worship.

@jon--you ask a very difficult question, and there's no really good answer to it because the Bible doesn't say a whole lot about good-hearted non-believers. If you're an atheist and there really isn't a God, then you don't have to worry about it. And please don't take this wrong, because I'm really just curious about this--if you're an atheist and decline to believe in God, why do you want to be with Him in heaven and have a relationship with Him there but not here?

• 2 months later...

I couldn't bear to watch that. I got as far as to the moron going "did your grandparents look like this" at pictures of a chimpanzee.

We live in 2007, and people manage to spout this nonsense. While I'm not one of those who are seriously afraid of a "scientific dark-age"

Yeah, no where in the Bible does it say 'Thou art going to Hell if thou dost not attend Church'
You're not supposed to pray in church, according to the Bible, but apart from that, I suppose you'll be fine, yes.

Archived