Home

FOC Patch requests/suggestions/ideas

Rust_Lord

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if this was a bug, but I'm sick of this business when you clear corruption from a world and destroys your space station and all structures. That was silly.

The game manual does mention that if you remove corruption on a world where the Consortium has corrupted the militia, the world will revolt and become neutral. Seems like a funny thing to happen with 100% certainty to me (if you have a full garrison on the planet you'd think you could have some chance to put down a rebellion), but it's an interesting game mechanic. Especially since the Rebels and Imperials do derive some benefit from corruption...

The game manual does mention that if you remove corruption on a world where the Consortium has corrupted the militia, the world will revolt and become neutral. Seems like a funny thing to happen with 100% certainty to me (if you have a full garrison on the planet you'd think you could have some chance to put down a rebellion), but it's an interesting game mechanic. Especially since the Rebels and Imperials do derive some benefit from corruption...

A full garrison? How does 3 companies of T-4Bs, Torpedo Artillery, Hovertanks, Infiltrators, Troops and T-47s, plus Luke, Yoda and Garm Bel Iblis grab you?

It's not 'interesting', it's blatant cheating. Perhaps next the Rebels get the ability to land full armies in raids? Give me a break.

Oh yeah, and another thing which could do with fixing for the next patch - lets have a proper "enemy fleet approaching" message. EaW's one was fine. I'm sick of hearing about the evil ysalamiri are coming to lay the smackdown on my underpowered fleets. Some people may think that the glitch is funny - I personally think it was amateurish. The testing team must have been off sick when this thing was rushed out the door.

not sure if this is a bug or "feature", but in multiplayer GC when i invade some worlds i won't start with any population flags. so my pop is 1/0, and only expandable if i landed troopers. and it's next to impossible to conquer the world if the enemy rushes you. i definitely recall it happening on Kamino in the map Clusters when i was empire.

Bleh, I think I'll go off and play Dark Crusade. At least Relic are familiar with the concept of 'balance'.

Ive been playing this alot and I dont know about that. Its a damn side more balanced than FoC thats for sure AND bug free, touch wood, but for me the Necrons are pretty damn cheap. Try playing bloodshed ally 3v3 against three standard computer necrons and see how you go...anyway this isnt relic forums so i will get on to what i wanted to write.

There is a couple of opinions on here I just want to reply too and since the patch is probably well under way, put out a few ideas for consideration by not just devs but the community. I know they cant change things to exactly reflect canon but they can at least resemble canon.

The opinion that the rebels got duped in the expansion with their space units..well, yeah, sort of. They didnt need a heap of extra space units because they were already well balanced. Rogue Sdqn cant really compete with Thrawn I agree but they are much more obtainable, costing less than half. For a comment on the B-Wing see below.

Corrupt Militia/planetary take over thing...It goes to the heart of how the ZC operates but having no control over it really is lame. There is a way around it and thats simply to leave it. However as a player said they had a large garrison there and it went down without a fight. That is ridiculous. Seeing as the ZC is so wealthy, it could be an idea to introduce a cost to the ZC to take over a planet when a revolt begins, the reason being that it will cost money to finance the revolt. The larger the garrison the more it will cost to finance the revolt.

Sabotage ability: This is just plain annoying. I was losing up to three buildings PER day during certain periods in a GC. I dont think sabotage should be removed entirely but it is way overdone. If i didnt have a war chest of about 80,000 credits I would have been forced out of the galaxy by defilers alone.

IG-88: Already written about the Death Star issue. He seemed to like wasting his time by eliminating spare probe droids I had. Note to all: keep minor heroes handy for bait!

Heres a few handy suggests for PG...

Vengeance Frigates: take note of all the talk. These things need to be a little less tough. Seeing as Mass drivers are projectile weapons not energy, maybe give them limited ammunition???

ZC space stations: way too tough. If the blue pulse plasma cannons and mass drivers dont get you the standard lasers and protons will. They can slaughter fighters and bombers and therefore have no real weakness. Shields seem to be greater with better recharge than other factions.

Star Vipers: Too fast and maneuverable. They are superior in every respect to other fighters.

Keldabe: Shield leach ability should be toned down. Need to cost a little more too me thinks.

Int IV: Needs an engine hardpoint because its a bit on the fast side and every other frigate has one giving these things unparalleled speed.

Interdictor: They are useless in skirmish unless their decoy missile ability has been improved to have the same effect as IG-88s ability. That would make them useful. Needs a combination of, extra HPs or lasers.

B-Wing: In the xml I spotted they only have the same shield strength as an X-wing. Absolute rubbish. These things need to be flying tanks. Double shield strength and id give them the ion ability.

TiE Defender: Should be the fastest thing in space if it already isnt.

ISDs: I quite like the idea of 2nd shield generator hardpoint. Should receive some more hit points (best in the form of a couple of extra weapons). Jack up the price if need be: 5500 or 6000k is fine by me.

Ive been playing this alot and I dont know about that. Its a damn side more balanced than FoC thats for sure AND bug free, touch wood, but for me the Necrons are pretty damn cheap. Try playing bloodshed ally 3v3 against three standard computer necrons and see how you go...anyway this isnt relic forums so i will get on to what i wanted to write.

Yeah, it has it's problems - but really, going up against 3 Necron armies at the same time? You do like your challenges, don't you :p

Besides, my fave sides in DC are the Tau and the Eldar, and they are textbook cases of balance.

The opinion that the rebels got duped in the expansion with their space units..well, yeah, sort of. They didnt need a heap of extra space units because they were already well balanced. Rogue Sdqn cant really compete with Thrawn I agree but they are much more obtainable, costing less than half.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The rogues and thrawn are hero units, and hence they spawn. The fact of the matter is Thrawn has not only a constant effect advantage, but he's a capital ship. Rogues have a temporary boost, and after that, they are at the mercy of every other type of fighter in the game. If petro are going to force me into relying on my heroes to win anything, then I want heroes that are up to the task. The rogues aren't. You're correct in that the rebels didn't need much due to the fact they were balanced - but now, the two other amries have a stagggering arsenal which the rebels simply can't compete with. And to add insult to injury, most of thier hero abilities have been toned down. I.e., the rebels are f**cked.

Corrupt Militia/planetary take over thing...It goes to the heart of how the ZC operates but having no control over it really is lame. There is a way around it and thats simply to leave it. However as a player said they had a large garrison there and it went down without a fight. That is ridiculous. Seeing as the ZC is so wealthy, it could be an idea to introduce a cost to the ZC to take over a planet when a revolt begins, the reason being that it will cost money to finance the revolt. The larger the garrison the more it will cost to finance the revolt.

That was me, and I second your criticism. The idea about financing a revolt is a damn good idea, it puts ZC on equal footing.

Sabotage ability: This is just plain annoying. I was losing up to three buildings PER day during certain periods in a GC. I dont think sabotage should be removed entirely but it is way overdone. If i didnt have a war chest of about 80,000 credits I would have been forced out of the galaxy by defilers alone.

To be honest, I considered this just one of the ZC's more canon abilities. However, I do think the cost of bombing an area that has already been bombed dozens of times already should by incredibly high.

Heres a few handy suggests for PG...

Vengeance Frigates: take note of all the talk. These things need to be a little less tough. Seeing as Mass drivers are projectile weapons not energy, maybe give them limited ammunition???

I don't think we should go that far. The cloaking device on a pirate ship is about as canonesque as turbolaser-equipped Y wings, so that, as far as I care, can go. I don't think it needs an ammunition count - just cut the armour down to the levels of other ships in it's class and it'll be fine.

ZC space stations: way too tough. If the blue pulse plasma cannons and mass drivers dont get you the standard lasers and protons will. They can slaughter fighters and bombers and therefore have no real weakness. Shields seem to be greater with better recharge than other factions.

Yep. There isn't really any excuse for this.

Star Vipers: Too fast and maneuverable. They are superior in every respect to other fighters.

Yeah, I don't mind the idea of StarVipers being used as pirate fighters, but I'm sick of seeing squadrons of full-blown Viragos. To be honest, I think they should be at the same level as everyone else's.

Keldabe: Shield leach ability should be toned down. Need to cost a little more too me thinks.

They can keep it as far as I'm concerned, just so long a similarly large weakness is also put on. Currently it's just a capital ship with all the advantages and no weakness.

Int IV: Needs an engine hardpoint because its a bit on the fast side and every other frigate has one giving these things unparalleled speed.

I agree with you on the same grounds as the stations. This is just pure unbalancing with no reason whatsoever.

Interdictor: They are useless in skirmish unless their decoy missile ability has been improved to have the same effect as IG-88s ability. That would make them useful. Needs a combination of, extra HPs or lasers.

Possibly. Remeber interdictors are only any use in the canon for trapping ships - so I'm not sure if they need any sort of tweaking beyond their HPs and lasers.

B-Wing: In the xml I spotted they only have the same shield strength as an X-wing. Absolute rubbish. These things need to be flying tanks. Double shield strength and id give them the ion ability.

According to the canon, the B-Wing had about as much firepower and shielding as a skipray and could take on Imperial corvettes. Give them that kind of upgrade and we're getting somewhere - what you've mentioned should work.

TiE Defender: Should be the fastest thing in space if it already isnt.

Where'd this come from? I was under the impression the fastest fighters in space were Vigilances and A-Wings.... To be honest, I like this fighter. I think it's a good job.

ISDs: I quite like the idea of 2nd shield generator hardpoint. Should receive some more hit points (best in the form of a couple of extra weapons). Jack up the price if need be: 5500 or 6000k is fine by me.

Doing this would mean that they would be more shielded than Mon Cals, which doesn't make sense. They should have more firepower - i.e., more Turbos.

I can only agree to everything that has been said here. And about the Star Destroyer; if not buffing it up, then how about adding the Imperial-II Star Destroyer?

Tie-Defender: In the Tie-Fighter game it was the fastest ship there, I seem to remember the A-Wing had a speed of 120(forget the unit) and the defender had a speed of 156.

also, is it just me, or does the difficulty slider not affect the ZC? I was playing GC and the constant Corruption and Sabotage was just getting plain annoying, so I changed it to Easy, just so I could get some peace... Or at least I thought I would, the only difference was that the empire got extremely weak, so the ZC completely overran them, and got even stronger :/

All in all I think the ZC isn't impossible to beat, it just makes the game no fun to play:/

So, like I've read from so many others, the damn thing goes back on the shelf...

Tie-Defender: In the Tie-Fighter game it was the fastest ship there, I seem to remember the A-Wing had a speed of 120(forget the unit) and the defender had a speed of 156.

All in all I think the ZC isn't impossible to beat, it just makes the game no fun to play:/

So, like I've read from so many others, the damn thing goes back on the shelf...

Nevertheless, in the normal canon the A-Wing was the fastest fighter the rebels had, and was only ever matched by the imperial A-9 Vigilance - which apart from it's speed was basically a crap version of the TIE interceptor. I can't remember the speed in TIE Fighter, it must have been 6 years ago I last played it :(

I'm doing the same thing as you - leaving it on the shelf. Every time I play it I find something else about the Rebels that Petro have fubar'd. Hopefully this patch will do something to reverse the damage - much of the changes that have been suggested are all basically XML. I just wish I'd known about all this crap before I bought it...

It kind of makes me think somewhere along the line that someone on the Petro team turned around and mentioned "Guys, Lucasrts don't like the idea of the Dark Side and the Light Side being up against the WTFPWNING side. We need a new name. What's that? Corrupt? Great, that'll work...." :rolleyes:

It is pretty crazy. I played a skirmish against hard ZC AI as Empire, my first one, and had 4 mines vs their one for most of the game, and still lost Piett and Thrawn 3 times. Just vengeance could take out one or two hardpoints with an ISD before being destroyed even with a couple tie d's going at its mass-drivers first and the same logic made their space-station only beatable by lots of bombers and fighters. Cap-ships just died horribly.

My sentiments exactly. I found the GC game against them very challenging but not enjoyable. In order to limit the ZC technology and so I didnt have to run into lvl 4/5 stations everywhere I stayed at tech 1 until they had about 6 planets left. Trying to take on 15 sdqns+ of star vipers was like getting eaten alive by pirahnas. I just spammed suicide fleets of tartans to go in and cut down as many sqdns before my real fleet attacked. :(

Tears I tend to write with respect to skirmish a bit hence the bit about Rogue Sdqn and Thrawn. I havent been bothered to look at the speed of the Defenders in XML but they dont strike me as being overly quick and ive always felt the interdictor is pretty weak; its been all but useless in skirmish. Tougher B-Wings would give the rebs a bit of a heavier punch and make up for their lack of units. I mean really, in skirmish they are like 700 and I think inferior to Y-wings!

ISD2s would be a great idea. I put them in my own mod and they cost about 9000 but reflected the cost. It would just be a shame that it would take the upgraded ISD to resemble how the base model should be.

Haven't had much time to play yet, but do the b-wings and defenders do well against other fighters? The latter really should at least. I'm becoming a bit of a one-trick pony here but I'd really be ok with it if they just made the ISD really good and let the other imp ships suck. It's the one ship that's just too iconic starwars to mess up like that. Well, that and maybe tone down the mass-drivers a bit.

It's also a little sad the game didn't have that counter-unit chart. :(

It seems I can disagree a large amount with Rust-Lord. I have found that Tie-Interceptors can counter the Star-Vipers. I have also been able to counter the corruption easily, without that much credits (maybe about 6-10 thousand). In addition, I have noticed how effective the Artillary Starships are and have you ever tried using them? I have destroyed about 20 squadrons of fighters with 1 Broadside Cruiser/ Maurader (No Modifications are applied). By what I have faced B-Wings are more powerful then Y-Wing, Tie-Fighters are useless against them, in addition I generally have problems against them. The Way to counter the vengence is fairly simple to counter, if you look at the counter list the Mc30 most definitly is a counter for the Vengence in addition the empire can use either Broadsides + Fighters or simply and ISD, I have killed Vengences easily (even after I upped their Health). For the space stations, I can see some agreement there... Although the it is always best to use the usual counters to a space station, in addition have destroyed a space station without much cost of capital ships (I did not modify any space-stations), In my game I can see how to counter it, using similar stategies for instance focusing firepower! I have actually destroyed a vengence without loosing a hardpoint, once again I can elabrate on focusing firepower. Key elements are to use your advantage of fighters, such as using the spawned ones against the vengence (there is a reason why the spawned ones are disposable)! My only comment is that the ZC heroes are a bit overpowered (just Zann and Sirili can take a whole planet that is reasonably gaurded).

StarViper is the greatest fighter in the game and the Consortium starts with 2 and can build more in the begining of the game in online space battles. My clan never looses when playing the Consortium ,never . Killing tartan,corvetts and enemy bases is not that hard with StarViper. That has to change. We have bojkoted (swedish word, dont realy know the english one) playing Consortium becouse they are to unbalansed.

Boycott = bojkoted, Wilfer.

You can *counter* the Star Viper with an Interceptor (ie keep it busy) but ive seen it with one squadron, 2 sqdn, 5+ sdqn that the Star Viper eventually *defeats* the interceptor and if they deploy their buzz droids in the right spot they win pretty convincingly.

When you say you counter the corruption are you talking GC or skirmish, militarily or actually removing their corruption/influence? Its all but imposible to remove their corruption entirely but this doesnt worry me so much. The production benefits are pretty good. It gets a bit annoying there's not a damn thing you can do about it though.

I like Y-wngs better than B-wings because they can use ion cannons. Bwings cant. They both fire torps and they are both crap against fighters and corvettes *although* Ywings have a chance at disabling them for a bit. Im more afraid of Y-wings than B-wings.

I have used broadsides against the ZC and they work well enough however the broadside actually has a much shorter range than the marauder. Attacking ships is okay however once attacked the ZC has always assembled its entire force and headed straight for me, so if I didnt have a comparable force they would slaughter me; and in the GC I played they used my old tactic of having a few HUGE fleets that I could not match at that point in the game without leaving every planet undefended. Against ZC stations with the broadside you have to get within their range to use them and you dont last very long. The marauder is okay. With the space stations the usual bomber attack gets shot up by plasma, lasers and mass drivers. You have to send a heap of squadrons escorted by fighters and hope they do enough damage to key hardpoints. When using acclamators you only get the 1 bomber sqdn so you really have to make them count which is not easy.

As for the vengeance they dont worry me too much, but I think they are imbalanced; nor do the aggressors worry me; I took out three with a lvl 1 space station and 2 bomber squadrons once.

Silri and Zann dont worry me; I know what you mean about playing as them though, they are pretty damn powerful but Urai is even worse....he has beaten both the Emperor, Vader and Fett one on one, hands down. He is ridiculous.

I am a usual GC player, so are you talking about in skirmish or GC? I suspect Skirmish. Urai's secret is that he can block the lightsaber, A good idea then would be to decrease the blocking chances to even it out. Although we do all agree the ZC heroes are overpowered. Only thing is that I have beaten a ZC space station with just (one of the lower or higher level) a capital ship and maybe 2-4 fighter squadrons (they are mixed between fighters and bombers). Key thing is to take out the mass drivers first and then the hangar or do mass drivers, plasma cannon, hangar. As rebels you can counter the plasma cannon by simply using the "power to shields" ability. I seen the computer make it do no damage to them because of the ability. Well I am talking in GC because you cannot corrupt anything in skirmish (it is not an ability... I have not tried a land skirmish yet). In addition, before I started playing the expansion as the Imperials, I played the ZC and found the weaknesses and strengths of the whole faction. My GC Strategy is what I call "fronts" I make inner planets to only defend and use the outerplanets to expand (build in the inner planets if I need to)

I only used the broadsides in GC. I will try hitting the mass drivers and plasmas straight off as I tend to go for the hangar first. I have preferred to stop their supply of blastboats as quickly as I can. The ZC is not a problem until they get tech 3 stations. Then they start to get tough to assault.

Going back to the point about fighters I had a look at the XMLs last night. Ill make a selected comparison....

CRAFT________SPEED____DAM___SHLD__HP

Interceptor_____5.5______3____________60

Star Viper______5.8______12_____50____75

Defender_______5________7______70___100

BWing_________4________5______30____60

Xwing_________4________5______20____60

TIE___________4.5_______3___________50

YWing_________3________5______30____60

The stats say it all *shakes head*.

Hmm IMO the speed and range (and perhaps something else..?) of the Executor should be buffed a bit, ATM she seems more like a huge ship that just sits there and waits to be torn apart by bombers than the huge menace it should be.

And it takes forever to get her to a position where she can use more than 25% of her guns.

I only used the broadsides in GC. I will try hitting the mass drivers and plasmas straight off as I tend to go for the hangar first. I have preferred to stop their supply of blastboats as quickly as I can. The ZC is not a problem until they get tech 3 stations. Then they start to get tough to assault.

Going back to the point about fighters I had a look at the XMLs last night. Ill make a selected comparison....

CRAFT________SPEED____DAM___SHLD__HP

Interceptor_____5.5______3____________60

Star Viper______5.8______12_____50____75

Defender_______5________7______70___100

BWing_________4________5______30____60

Xwing_________4________5______20____60

TIE___________4.5_______3___________50

YWing_________3________5______30____60

The stats say it all *shakes head*.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. What a load of sh*te. Since when did the B-Wing become the a clone of the Xwing? Or the Star Viper outclass the Tie Defender in nearly everything?

Have petro lost all understanding of balance? How on earth could this type of tat be made and *no-one* at petro say "ummm, guys, does this list look...right... to you?"

Gimme a break.

I'm really really hoping that damage is what they mean by the fighter damage class, though it would be nice if the defender were just a bit faster too. It would be really cool if the rebels had to rely on fighters all the way up to the highest tech and then it shifted. I still wonder why they didn't put in gunboats. Those would be a good mid-tech bomber

Archived