Home

FOC Patch requests/suggestions/ideas

Rust_Lord

It didn't shift. The rebels were heavily reliant on fighters for virtually all of the war.

Which means the rebel's fighters should be better than the empires, while their cruisers will obviously be less potent than imperial equivalents.

Oh hang on, they did have that balance in EaW. I wonder why they changed it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean their strategy, but more of an equalization at the end. Most of my impressions come from the x-wing series, but I thought that if they'd gotten more tie avengers and defenders out they would have at least neutralized the rebel advantage in that area. Since the tie defender made it in to begin with, the whole Zaarin deal is relatively canon, right?

I didn't mean their strategy, but more of an equalization at the end. Most of my impressions come from the x-wing series, but I thought that if they'd gotten more tie avengers and defenders out they would have at least neutralized the rebel advantage in that area. Since the tie defender made it in to begin with, the whole Zaarin deal is relatively canon, right?

Yeah, but it's also Canon that they only used a few squadrons of Defenders and used Interceptors and TIE/Ins mostly. Are you suggesting the Empire have a unit limit on defenders? 6 squads or something? That sounds a bit mad.

But there is the fact that the imperials never really considered fighters to be a particualrly important part of the war machine until Thrawn took the reins.

Like i have said before the perto devs didnt not focus to mcuh on the other two sides the wanted zann to be uber so they did that not thinking about any of the fans of the other sides.

That's pretty much the impression I got. They balantly didn't bother to balance the consortium side.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post mods, I thought the forum would have just appended them together.... :(

Use the edit button. -LIAYD

No no no, my impression is that at the higher tech levels, imps having good fighters would fit, since if they *could* have gotten more to the frontlines, they would have started to turn the tables on the rebels, but all the defenders/avengers were taking care of Zaarin during Endor and all that.

TIE Advanced fighters were only produced in a very limited supply; TIE Defenders were invented for the "TIE Fighter" game since players were used to flying shielded Rebel starfighters. I think it's safe to say that any Imperial fighters not seen in the movies were pretty darned uncommon in the Imperial Navy.

A single starfighter that can blow away anything in space isn't really the Empire's style, either. Their philosophy relied on two main elements: First, big is good; and second, if you must build small things, build a crapload of them. TIE/D's aren't really conducive to either philosophy--but Imperial Star Destroyers and TIE/F's sure are.

The Rebels should be heavily reliant on fighters at all tech levels, since their philosophy is to get high-quality small ships that can slip through the Empire's large-scale defenses. They had more carriers than cruisers or destroyers for exactly that reason. EaW never fully captured the Rebels' focus on starfighters, thanks to the incredible effectiveness of the Tartan. I'd be very much in favor of boosting the Rebel fighters' abilities against capital ships and reducing the effectiveness of the Tartan--since the Tartan plugs the hole in Imperial defenses that we all know was left gaping wide open!

No no no, my impression is that at the higher tech levels, imps having good fighters would fit, since if they *could* have gotten more to the frontlines, they would have started to turn the tables on the rebels, but all the defenders/avengers were taking care of Zaarin during Endor and all that.

Nah, you're misunderstanding it. Zaarin wasn't the reason there were only a few Defenders and whatnot, The Empire never really believed fighters were the way forward. There were too many influential voices in the Imperial Navy that were against them, so they never got built - they were generally seen as an experiment. As I said, the Defender only got produced in *very* limited amounts - and after Endor, definitely after the fall of Coruscant, I think production stopped altogether. The only new-style fighters that were being produced were Scimitars that Thrawn used at that point. The Defender went the way of the Tie x1.

But there were tons of factories that were destroyed by Zaarin, and so they had to match his tie-d's and kept even most of the avengers off the front lines. Just avengers would have evened it a lot. If they hadn't been learning, they wouldn't have even developed those, let alone gunboats.

But there were tons of factories that were destroyed by Zaarin, and so they had to match his tie-d's and kept even most of the avengers off the front lines. Just avengers would have evened it a lot. If they hadn't been learning, they wouldn't have even developed those, let alone gunboats.

They tried to match his Tie Defenders by having the Missile Boat.

Gunboats were mainly used for tactics requiring a small hyperspace capable starfighter. It has nothing to do with having a ship equally strong or better then the Rebels. In fact, the Gunboat was barely more then a Y-Wing on steroids.

Avengers were simply based off the Tie x1 idea but remained marginal in its use.

All in all, most of those crafts were too expensive for serious mass production and mass deployment, which is against Imperial philosophy.

I've no idea what you're on about here. The imperials were exploring possibilities in new fighter designs, but the bottom line was that none of their stuff really got much love from High Command. The only units that did were things like the TIE Interceptor.

Gunboats were'nt a product of learning either. Hell, the first skiprays were in use before the Battle of Yavin.

There was suppossed to be alot of competing voices, from military and industry and the starfighter advocates never got their way. Sure they were allowed to do research that was very promising but sometimes the best choice is not made and this was the Empires problem. With the losses the Imps took at the hands of shielded rebel fighters a simple cost/benfit analysis would show it was worth making the more expensive craft that could kill more craft before it was destroyed itself was surely a better way to go. I read the Empire did not like its starfighters to have hyperdrives because they wanted to reinforce the pilots dependence upon its carrier ship and higher authority. They were obsessed with stupid crap like that. If you read about the Skipray, they were very effective and Commanders loved them. There was calls to replace all starfighters with skiprays (albeit less of them) due to their speed, firepower and survivability but the Navy would never go for the starfighter/capital hybrid even if it was advantageous. The Empire was also corrupt and decisions were made that at times benefitted people not the cause and this screwed them. Gunboats were widespread but in limited numbers and used in specific missions. Another part of the Empires problem was that they were very reluctant to create ships to react to the apparent strengths of the rebels as this proved they were worried by them. The Lancer, the Interceptor and the ISD2 are the only ships they produced to specifically counter rebel designs.

Also, now that we have seen what Petro intends to do with the patch I want to say that I am very underwhelmed. The TIE defenders speed actually reduced!? The Crusader IMPROVED!? Skiprays improved and their price reduced!? ZC space stations improved (plasma cooldown reduced by 20 secs)!? We better start a thread for 1.07 suggestions now!

I am curious what people are changing in their own mods to make things balanced? I have increased mass driver inaccuracy for fighters and bombers from 45/40% to 75/70 respectively (petro did the same). I also reduced damage from 10 to 5 after all the Vengeance fires a 8 shot burst from each mass driver!

I increased the Interceptors damage from 3 to 5.

I reduced the StarVipers shields from 50 to 25 (same as petro) and kept the hull at 75, decreased dam to 5 and speed to 5.5 (same as Interceptor).

The defenders burst rate from 2 to 4.

This made the sides alot more balanced. ZC is not as insanely tough but when you play as them you still own both other factions fairly easily. Its a little more challenging now.

I made some other changes that werent necessary but balance is still fine: I made the Bwing alot tougher in shielding (40) and hull (180) and increased its price, made defenders alot faster (max speed 7.5) and reduced shield penalty for power to weapons. I kept its total health roughly the same but increased its shields and refresh rate while lowering its hull and increasing its cost to 1000. The skiprays I increased their shields and health , reduced their squad size to 2 and increased their cost slightly.

OK, please make the ZC unable to sabotage research centers. It just isn't right that you have to wait 5 minutes until your researching facility is finished to then have it blown up for a mere 4000 credits.

Oh, and while we're at it, I suggest slightly lowering the build time of the research center. The Empire should typically have a technological advantage over the rebels and ATM it's just the other way around, especially if your research center should ever get destroyed.

The research centre is very important and I can understand why they would want to make it take a while to build, however if you play GC on any speed less than standard it can become painfully slow to construct. The build speed doesnt really encourage you to build multiple research centres that would be very handy, especially since the arrival of defilers. YertL are you the one getting sabotaged or are you doing the sabotaging? I ask because all the times I played GC the ZC never attacked my single research centre??? You are right though, it is rather cheap and a very painful attack, especially if you were 95% complete researching the next tech level!

I did the sabotage (or rather, saw the possibility to do it, since I attacked the planet anyways and instead blew up a factory).

However I guess that a human opponent could do the same to you in MP, which is rather imba.

Btw., I do consider that R2/C3PO can be assasinated and black marcets can be de-corrupted, denying Rebel and ZC players the possibility of teching up, however both things are relatively easy to rebuild (wait a few minutes or simply recorrupt the planet) and thus not too harmful for the enemy player (especially in the case of the ZC, since it only unlocks special abilities;and in the case of R2 it even takes the enemy hero out of the game for a while as well).

Sabotaging a research facility however harms the imp player too much for how easy it is; there isn't even a possibility to defend oneself against this tactic because a ZC player can simply corrupt a planet and immediately sabotage before the imp player has time to de-corrupt it.

Archived