Home

Orbital Bombardment

christnet06

I selected the orbital bombardment and pressed the space bar but nothing happened regarding the animation...

So, one more bug or just removed from the game final version?

I hope the future patch will fixed/add it, because on the gameplay video this effect was very impressive!

I think his point is that the rebels ion bombardment only disables vehicles and shields, which is'nt that useful when their opponents can use proper turbolaser bombardments (which makes sense - why on earth would u only use Ion beams? They do sod all!).

Canon-wise, clones did use Ion rifles at some points in the war, but those rifles in Episode 2 were DC-15s - blaster rifles that happened to fire blue bolts. Blaster bolts can be any colour :p

And the only ion bolts we've ever seen in the movies are actually red. :)

I haven't had a chance to try the bombardments yet, but I can definitely see an ion bombardment being useful (and I can't imagine Princess Leia or Mon Mothma ordering turbolaser banks to turn a planet into sheet glass). Depending on how long the effect lasts, at least.

And the only ion bolts we've ever seen in the movies are actually red. :)

I haven't had a chance to try the bombardments yet, but I can definitely see an ion bombardment being useful (and I can't imagine Princess Leia or Mon Mothma ordering turbolaser banks to turn a planet into sheet glass). Depending on how long the effect lasts, at least.

Beleive me, they sound a lot better than they actually are. They're pointless against infantry, and their effect against shields and vehicles is so brief that I can barely get my units to the enemy to take advantage of it. If it were the ground-based equivalent of the Orbital Ion blasts than I wouldn't be complaining, but it's little more than a light show and clearly untested. There's also the fact that it makes no sense as far as canon goes. No pillock in the galaxy would bother shooting Ion bolts onto a planet because, as FoC proves, they'd do sod all. I don't think I've ever seen or read about anyone being daft enough to do it.

And I don't get the point about Leia and Mon Mothma. So they are against using turbolasers on a planet.... but are not above ok-ing dropping nuclear proton bombs via Y-Wing? Gimme a break. It's completely inconsistent and one of the most short-sighted design descisions I've seen in a game. It just doesn't work.

anyone know what XML the orbital bombardment is located?

i havent even used it.

i dont get it though. what ships have to be in orbit?

will these ships replace the bombing run? or will they both be available?

ive only played some of the campaign and a tiny bit of space skirmish and little GC.

but im just lookin for a heads up.

It would be good, and I suspected that they disrupt production/upgrades at a facility hit by them for a good length of time. That would make sense and make up for not blowing the building to a zillion bits like a TL would. You cant produce any units then!!!

The operative phrase here being "...for a good length of time". I like the orbital Ion blasts because they were a true alternative to simply shooting a big f**k-off space gun at cruisers, imperial style. Rather than do massive damage, you remove the ship entirely from the equation for a certain amount of time.

The problem is if you're going to bombard an area on land it's unlikely you're here for tech theft - that's an invasion. Had I had Ion assaults that allowed me to do Piracy style stuff, like capture imperial technolgies by keeping the factories intact...... that would be good. Simply having a naff version of a turbolaser assault is not going to help.

Rebel have a so-called Orbital that is totally not worth using.

Not absolutely worthless, but worthless in most situations. I have noticed that trying an orbital strike to temporarily stun those anti-air defenses in the direct path of the incoming bomber strike is highly useful.

If you are tired of watching strike after strike chewed up by AA turrets that are too well defended for you to take down with your ground pounders, and you absolutely MUST take down those barracks/factories to get rid of the garrison units, the orbital strike CAN be useful.

It would be more useful if it permanently destroyed the units, but that's another issue...

Not absolutely worthless, but worthless in most situations. I have noticed that trying an orbital strike to temporarily stun those anti-air defenses in the direct path of the incoming bomber strike is highly useful.

If you are tired of watching strike after strike chewed up by AA turrets that are too well defended for you to take down with your ground pounders, and you absolutely MUST take down those barracks/factories to get rid of the garrison units, the orbital strike CAN be useful.

It would be more useful if it permanently destroyed the units, but that's another issue...

He he.... now I never thought of that...... ;)

Well, we can compair it to similar abilities in the game, like good old Han Solo's EMP ability. The orbital iron cannon thingy have a duration shorter than Han's old EMP, so its kind of obvious how bad it is. Give it a longer duration and maybe even a wider AoE, and it would work fine.

Ion cannons are supposed to IGNORE shields so thats what they should do; and stop production for about 5/10 minutes. As a matter of fact, ship based ions should ignore shields too and do serious engine damage. All they do now is hurt shields a bit. Once a ships shields are down ions are useless because you start pounding the hull with lasers and they are of no use. If you could disrupt or disable a ship by the time its shields are nearly battered then that would be cool. Pretty sucky if you pay 6000 in skirmish for something that is not as good as Hans EMP. That is fuggin ridiculous. You could buy Han and Chewie twice over for that.

Archived