Home

Is Space Conquest cheating?

shnar

I started playing Galactic Conquest and came across a strategy that feels like cheating. After establishing a decent base of operations, I spend all my resources on creating a massive space fleet, then I quickly go around taking out all the space stations and then leaving one small unit, like an X-Wing, and then move on. I never even touch the planets until I've conquored all the space (and I leave any Pirates to the end, since they don't attack). Then I start the land expansion, but the game is pretty much over at that point, since leaving a space unit keeps the planet from building a space station.

For some reason this feels like "cheating"... is it?

-shnar

I use this strategy all the time, not becasue its easy, its to counter the Ai cheating actually (i find when I'm in a decisive battle where half of my fleet is gone, but the entire enemy fleet is destroyed, that the AI can just out of thin air spawn a HUGE fleet and leave me helpless before I can rebuild my fleet very often)

Right on; i've used this strategy since day one and posted as such before. Generally you get given enough ships at the start that if you pool them all together and attack immediately the enemy can never catch up. By knocking out the space stations and fleets early the enemy is behind the 8 ball and is constantly playing catch up. You can ruin them economically within a week. The same strategy workd in good ol' Rebellion. Its not cheating but what I would call an exploit. Usually you only get two or three decent space battles by using such a strategy. Some people like more of a challenge or for a game to be more entertaining and allow a game to run its course.

I guess it's not "cheating", since the game lets you do it, but it feels cheap. I can understand that a space station cannot be created when the fleet is in orbit, but when just an X-Wing is hanging out?

I'm going to try the game on Hard and not to do this and see how it plays...

-shnar

• 3 months later...

hmm

wouldnt this tactic leave u with a load of planets to conquer which have loads of garrison (or can they not build things when theres a fleet above?) I know that if you have to attack a planet with an AT-AT and two buildings that garrison AT-ATs its almost impossible. They do build a massive land army if u leave units in space around.

NO BUILDING GARRISONS AT-AT'S!

actually, it isn't quite hard as you would have infinite time to build up your ground fleet. The only annoying part is that HERO space units reappear so you have to leave a big fleet in the planet they spawn in.

hmm

wouldnt this tactic leave u with a load of planets to conquer which have loads of garrison (or can they not build things when theres a fleet above?) I know that if you have to attack a planet with an AT-AT and two buildings that garrison AT-ATs its almost impossible. They do build a massive land army if u leave units in space around.

Well, if youhave enough "death from above" and a few infiltrators to sacrifice it is possable.

Suppose. And the AT-ATs might have infiltrated my comp in a mod. Can't really remember what mods I've put on as I went off empire at war but have just got back into it but they suck bad (the AT-ATs). I have like 5 AT-ATs on one planet and 4 of them are garrisoned (i'm rebels). Me thinking a large speeder assault needed.

Archived