Home

Tie Fighter 95 In Flight Music problem

K@sper

I recently reinstalled Tie Fighter 95 and X-wing from the x-wing trilogy cd's. I got more or less everything to work, except music. It's kind of annoying, I got sound, I got 3d Hardware rendering, I got both the games to launch without problem, but there is almost no music. I only get music when I enter the Historical Missions of Tie Fighter, and not always (you know, when that thing opens up, that simulator, sor of cutscene, and then some when I'm selecting a mission, but that's it). I never get music in flight. Same problem for xwing, but in xwing I get no music at all. Any ideas anyone ? I'm using XP

Yes, I read that in another thread, but it doesn't work for me. I didn't think this was the problem as, as I described, sometimes I hear a little music, but then it rather abruptly stops, and sometimes I don't hear any music. Maybe this is just a coincidence of course.

Could it have something to do with the fact that my cd drive with the lowest letter is G: ? I noticed before that, sometimes, older games don't like a drive letter larger than D:.

It may, but my only optical drive is on E: and the games work fine. Remember, you can reassign drive letters in WinXP from the "Disk Management" feature (accessed by right-clicking My Computer, choosing "Manage", and clicking "Disk Management" in the left-hand tree).

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, so any new idea how to play music in missions?

Anyway these sound .wavs are not too nice. I found the old .mids on the net, which are much better, and can be played in an other winamp "repeat forever" task.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
The fix of re-ordering the CD-ROM drive letters worked fine for me to get the music playing again. Thanks!

In the event that simply putting the CD in the lowest-lettered optical drive doesn't work, here is a quick and easy fix. Go to Windows Disk Management, and change the drive letter of the disk drive you want to use to A:.

In some systems, like my Win7 x64 übermachine, TIE95 doesn't quite know how to deal with multiple optical drives in addition to multiple hard drives.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice catch, DoctorDan...I would have never thought of assigning an optical drive to the letter traditionally assigned to the first floppy drive. :)

Well, I'm a geek from way back. I pulled my first Apple II apart and put it back together in 1992 when I was six. (It didn't work anymore, but I did put it back together...)

It's a pity that mounting an ISO of the TIE95 CD doesn't play the music, even if the virtual drive is set to A:, though...which is a pity, because I've been killed more than once when the game briefly pauses to search and play a new audio track. Anyone have an idea of how to stream the music from the hard drive?

It's a pity that mounting an ISO of the TIE95 CD doesn't play the music, even if the virtual drive is set to A:, though...which is a pity, because I've been killed more than once when the game briefly pauses to search and play a new audio track. Anyone have an idea of how to stream the music from the hard drive?

SUCCESS! Turns out that TIE95 creates a registry notation to determine where the install path was from and uses that location for the music streaming.

By uninstalling TIE95, mounting the ISO to a virtual A: drive (using Daemon Tools - best there ever was), and installing from that location, mounting the ISO to that drive will stream the music from the hard drive.

No more skips during gameplay!

• 1 month later...

I have an issue where the in flight music is much louder than the other sounds in the game... I can't adjust the volume using the volume settings in the game, other than turning it off completely by turning the volume down to nothing. At any other level it just plays at the same volume. I thought I might be able to fix this by adjusting the volume which the CD drive plays music at but I can't seem to find any way to do that (I am using Windows 7). Anyone have any hints as to how I might be able to fix this?

• 4 years later...

I know I'm digging up the past, but if people are searching the internet for "TIE Fighter no inflight music" this thread comes to the top.

I recently battled all the above issues on an XP machine and tried all sorts of things. In the end the simplest solution was staring me in the face - the Volume Mixer had "CD Digital Audio" and "CD Audio" muted. Man, did I feel dumb.

Changing the volume levels there also affected the ingame levels, which are not that predictable.

Now time to relive the past as T/F Alpha 2!

Archived