Home

Rumsfeld resigns as Secretary of Defence

Dagobahn Eagle

Believe it or not, but Donald Rumsfeld has apparently resigned as Secretary of defense.

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld stepped down as defense secretary on Wednesday, one day after midterm elections in which opposition to the war in Iraq contributed to heavy Republican losses.
Wow. Just wow. Now I only worry that his successor might be just as bad as him. I know nothing of this R. Gates.

Yeah I don't know how this will work out. I'm happy he's gone but at the same time who's going to be next? There's a lot of questions that need be answered since it looks like, for the moment, that there will be a party change in Congress. Next spring should be pretty interesting I think...

Generally, appointments like Gates (this far into an administration) probably won't have a significant impact on overall policy. All the more so b/c his position will only last two years (does anyone really think the next prez won't be a dem?). Still, DE, you could always google him if you're remotely curious.

Where've you been...?
QFE!

(I actually laughed out loud at that! :D )

Perhaps Rove isn't quite the strategist he's been made out to be... or Bush was just too damn stubborn to listen to him on Rumsfeld this whole time.

I personally think Bush actually believed that there was no way the Republicans were going to lose this time, so there was really no reason to let Rummy go.

Heh, the wiki article is already closed to new users.

Rumsfeld was not the best of people to hold that post. But with the needless war in Iraq, will Gates be able to any better? I'm curious to see.

He's been a deputy NSA along with the CIA director spot. I believe he's on the team that's headed up by Baker evaluating the situation in Iraq and how to resolve it. At least he might have some kind of mentality other than Rumsfeld's *insert Neanderthal grunt* "Ugh. Kill!"

Archived