Home

Something missing...

Shadue

So, it's been a week now since I got the game (still dont have FoC but will be getting asap) and am pretty impressed with the game. I find it very fun even though I can easily say that I still only have about 20% of the gameplay/proper unit usage down.

However, everytime I play, I find myself with this nagging feeling like something is missing and today it finally struck me!

Individual unit veterancy!

Every other RTS style I have ever played has units gain experience the more they fight and win and give after so much xp has been gained they are promoted in rank and given a small bonus to their stats.

Why would this not have been implimented in this game! It makes a world of difference as far as pulling units out of a battle so as not to loose a veteran unit and I think would have added a very needed stratigic aspect to the game.

Thoughts and comments?

I'm not sure if this is something they could implement. I suspect that the way EaW keeps track of units on the galactic scale is not to have each individual unit stored in memory, but each fleet. The variables in your computer corresponding to the fleets just contain counters for the number of each type of unit in them. In other words, instead of the following structure:

Star Destroyer Chimera, in fleet 1 over Anaxes

Star Destroyer Avenger, in fleet 1 over Anaxes

Broadside Cruiser Indomitable, in fleet 1 over Anaxes

Tartan Patrol Cruiser Agile, in fleet 2 over Coruscant

...et cetera,

the game instead stores the following:

Anaxes Fleet 1: (2x Star Destroyer, 1x Broadside Cruiser)

Coruscant Fleet 2: (1x Tartan Patrol Cruiser)

...et cetera.

In that scheme (which is much more RAM-efficient), it's much more difficult to keep track of individual units--how do you tell which is which?--and so I doubt we'll see unit veterancy implemented in a patch.

That's not to say it wouldn't be a good idea, though. A very simple way someone could probably mod in veterancy might be to keep track of two types of each kind of unit: green units and veteran units (which would be defined in the XMLs as separate units and would have slight stat bumps from their green equivalents). After a fleet or ground force has a battle, just replace each green unit in the victorious fleet with its veteran counterpart. (Maybe downgrade the units in the losing fleet, to simulate morale. Sort of.) I don't know if there's any way to keep track of the specific number of battles a unit has been in, so if you have multiple levels of veterancy, each rank would only be separated by one battle. And multiple levels would be difficult because you'd have to define a new unit type for each rank!

Since there are upgrades already in existance (from skirmish) you could probably tie them to veterancy if you wanted to. That might make things simpler. With all the gnarly things people in this community can do, someone would have the ability to create a veterancy system. It should have at least three levels...green, veteran and elite..

Archived