Home

KOTOR III Characters

Darth_Nihl

Which main character would you prefer to play as in KOTOR III?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Which main character would you prefer to play as in KOTOR III?

• Darth Revan
    • The Exile
    • Both
    • Neither...

But I'd want new characters, interesting ones, not recycled sterotypes.

^^^ what he said.

getting really tired of the... lets see... we have to have the rebellious jedi who is at risk of falling (or has) to the dark side (and at odds with the jedi counsel, and at odds with his/her old master,) an r2d2 clone, a dark sided c3po (thats how i view hk), a wookie, a han solo type.... ok, and everyone has to wear almost the same clothes for their role or they are not who they are supposed to be... zzzz... something new.

also, based on pc interaction during the beginning of the story line, just like they did it in TSL, you set alignment, and male/female and thus allow it to relate to you the story of what happened after the end of TSL. (it would be nice if it linked into the more flushed out story line that team-gizka is working on, since the tsl story line is so hampered after a certain point and also might be the reason that there are more votes for Revan since you really have as strong a feeling about the exile since the character wasn't as well led into or finished with. imo)

allowing revan and the exile back into the story would mean you would have to have a way to determine what they looked like cause i am sure that the game creators have no clue which look i chose for them... any of the various times i played...

---

shouldn't the poll say just Revan, if you played her/him as a light side then they would no longer be Darth Revan right? i think i remember even Kreia implying that Revan was not a Darth anymore.

i want my vote back... i have changed my mind now that i have written this out and better understand the discussion. :D

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

getting really tired of the... lets see... we have to have the rebellious jedi who is at risk of falling (or has) to the dark side (and at odds with the jedi counsel, and at odds with his/her old master,)

In that case you should drop KotOR and probably Star Wars altogether. KotOR is about jedi, and being tempted by the dark side is the eternal struggle of the jedi. Star Wars is and always will be a morality play. If you've outgrown that, then fine - there are plenty of alternatives out there.

an r2d2 clone, a dark sided c3po (thats how i view hk),

How is hk a stereotype? He is anything but... Anyway, it doesn't matter because he's probably the only character that everyone seems to at least like, so he will be in KotOR3. Heck, he was so popular, they even put him in other games.

a wookie,

Hanharr was entirely optional in TSL. And unlike Zaalbar and Chewie, he was evil, too. How many playable evil wookiees have we seen before?

a han solo type....

So if I understand you correctly, you want a Star Wars game with no jedi and no scoundrels... Not much left, I fear.

allowing revan and the exile back into the story would mean you would have to have a way to determine what they looked like cause i am sure that the game creators have no clue which look i chose for them... any of the various times i played...

Not necessarily. But then again, letting the player choose what Revan and Exile look like is pretty easy to do.

I do want to have a young apprentice though. One that I can heavily influence. One that can be a goody goody LS'der, or an evil DS'der, or perhaps a 'neutral' person, depending on influence and the way I play. I'd like to have more alien party members though.

I agree.

I still think the protagonist of K3 should have the option of being alien. The main character has been human twice now. Why not allow the option for being alien as well?

But if the character absolutely must be human, I think it should be the son or daughter (player's discretion, of course) of Saul Karath.

What would be worth seeing is conflict between light sided, or true Jedi, and people like Jolee and maybe Revan and the Exile if they were like that, grey Jedi. Not combat, more their diffirent philosophies being a plot point.

Wasn't that really the point that bound KotOR and TSL together, though?

I mean, the masters pull a dirty little secret in KotOR, which it falls more to the younger jedi and particularly grey Jolee to deal with, while in TSL, the failures of the masters come back to haunt them... and even destroy them for their folly and arrogance.

As I've seen the games so far, a big part of the plot has been that even the jedi masters on the council are not above making terrible mistakes, and that people who aren't so "high and mighty" (like the jedi) or completely corrupted by lust for power (like the sith) turn out to be the salvation of the galaxy, while the "champions" of the light side stumble and fall. Those people are particularly Jolee and, to lesser degree, Kreia (NOT Traya) and Exile.

I think it will continue in K3 as well, where I suspect we will see the beginning of a new, emerging jedi order founded on wisdom of all the mistakes made by the now fallen masters.

In that case you should drop KotOR and probably Star Wars altogether. KotOR is about jedi, and being tempted by the dark side is the eternal struggle of the jedi. Star Wars is and always will be a morality play. If you've outgrown that, then fine - there are plenty of alternatives out there.

i think your view is a narrow one master jediphile. starwars has many other things going on in it and they too can be a story or part of the story.

also you took almost everything to the extreme of what i said. the jist of what i was saying was, it seems that the developers fear breaking with what seems to be the standard sw formula as to who should be part of the team. it doesn't matter if they are dark or light, good or bad... hanharr is available if your dark... so... the point of having him being available to a light sided good character is? i would never use him all his influences are probably darksided.

i also am not saying that kotor should break from having t3 and hk in it. i would even like hk to be given earlier in the story even so i actually could make use of him better... but by the time i had put him together... anyway that is another topic on the detractions of the droids being in your team...

So if I understand you correctly, you want a Star Wars game with no jedi and no scoundrels... Not much left, I fear.

i think you need to spend some time over here and see how much material is there that has zip to do with jedi and scoundrels.

and no... i did not say that. i said "rebellious jedi who is at risk of falling (or has) to the dark side (and at odds with the jedi counsel, and at odds with his/her old master,)" why is it that any jedi that you are playing is having all these issues. there are many other options to what the jedi's attitudes are and if they are or are not about to fall to the dark side.

i think your view is a narrow one master jediphile. starwars has many other things going on in it and they too can be a story or part of the story.

It could, yes, but there are already fans who dislike TSL or at least thought it was inappropriate in some ways because it is not the classic 'good vs. evil' saga we know from most Star Wars. I think TSL is about as far as we can stretch Star Wars from the norm without alienating many fans.

also you took almost everything to the extreme of what i said. the jist of what i was saying was, it seems that the developers fear breaking with what seems to be the standard sw formula as to who should be part of the team. it doesn't matter if they are dark or light, good or bad... hanharr is available if your dark... so... the point of having him being available to a light sided good character is? i would never use him all his influences are probably darksided.

And you would be right. Still, while Hanharr is a nasty piece of work, his motives are quite understandable once you learn them. Though I don't like playing DS, that part was very well written.

As for breaking from the form, I think you'll find that many people, even on this forum, do think of TSL as "not quite Star Wars" because it's too dark or merely grey.

I like TSL better than KotOR for that reason. Certainly you could do much darker stories, and personally I would have no problem with that. But it would be far from the Star Wars formula, and while you and I might like that, the majority of Star Wars fans would not, it seems. Therefore it is unlikely to happen.

i think you need to spend some time over here and see how much material is there that has zip to do with jedi and scoundrels.

Most Star Wars material speak to the importance of the jedi protecting the galaxy from the sith or similar threats. Even when there are no jedi, those stories are usually about how terrible things are without the jedi.

And I know Wookieepedia very well.

and no... i did not say that. i said "rebellious jedi who is at risk of falling (or has) to the dark side (and at odds with the jedi counsel, and at odds with his/her old master,)" why is it that any jedi that you are playing is having all these issues. there are many other options to what the jedi's attitudes are and if they are or are not about to fall to the dark side.

Because resisting ambition and thirst for power is a central theme to being human, while "absolute power corrupts absolutely." And the lure of the dark side for a jedi is THE consistent Star Wars metaphor for that, and so central in most, if not all, Star Wars stories. Star Wars is an epic saga, where the theme is always good vs. evil, represented by the jedi against the sith.

With how Sith Lords is more mature, more dark, the same could be said for Revenge of the Sith. Could this be where Star Wars is headed? Future works such as playing Darth Vader and this Force Unleashed that depicts a group of take no prisoners Jedi seem to indicate what tone we can expect in the near future.

With how Sith Lords is more mature, more dark, the same could be said for Revenge of the Sith. Could this be where Star Wars is headed? Future works such as playing Darth Vader and this Force Unleashed that depicts a group of take no prisoners Jedi seem to indicate what tone we can expect in the near future.

Given how Lucas decided to portray events in the new trilogy compared to the old one, I doubt it.

I find it more likely that there is simply being created more Star Wars material for a wider audience these days, and so more material is able stray a little further from the norm than before.

To me, we shouldn't play as Revan or the Exile again. We should play as a new main character who IMO is due to "something" be able to destroy the True Sith where Revan and the Exile fail in that quest.

About the party members we had at Kotor I & II, it would be all right if they make appearances. However, I think they shouldn't be as important or more important then your own character.

The characters in Sith Lords tries to resemble the ones in the first game? Hmmm...

Atton was I guess the game's version of Carth, who was KOTOR's version of Han Solo.

T3 of course returns, as do HK, Canderous and in one form or another Vrook, Carth and Bastila.

Kreia could be Bastila, though that would probably be more Atris or Lonna Vash.

Bao Dor is...Juhani's, maybe, counterpart.

Mira is based on Mara Jade, but maybe she resembles Mission a little.

Hunharr is based on Zaalbar. They're both Wookies.

Handmaiden would be Bastila actually. So who would Kreia be like? Jolee?

Diciple is based on...wait, that's all the characters.

Kavar is based on Dorak, perhaps.

I'm really struggling here, how are Sith Lords characters copies from the first game?

Reven. I'd love another game of Revan, Bastila and Carth.

Start at Level 20 and go to Level 40. That way, you could start with some seriously bad-ass villains and ramp it up from there.

The trouble for me is, that TSL never really gripped me the way that KOTOR I did. I played the first one for up to 7 hours at a time... I cared for the characters and tried to do my best for them (I didn't even like playing Dark Side as I didn't like being mean to them...)

So I'd vote for a "proper" sequel to KOTOR and carry on with the original team. Set up Revan, Carth and Bastila at the beginning, have some story reasons why only T3 and HK are still around somewhere and get a new squad together.

It could be awesome...

So I'd vote for a "proper" sequel to KOTOR and carry on with the original team. Set up Revan, Carth and Bastila at the beginning, have some story reasons why only T3 and HK are still around somewhere and get a new squad together.

It could be awesome...

WORST IDEA EVER!

I thought TSL was much better than KotOR. Why? http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=46204&view=findpost&p=748080

KotOR is just the OT set in a different timeline. It’s a blink to the OT. Same story, same characters; same concepts.

Anyway, a new PC is a MUST. Why?

a) How can KotOR III work as a CRPG if you play as Revan and/or the Exile? How? How can it be a CRPG?

b) Playing as overpowered force gods is stupid and boring. It would be more of an action game then. No thanks! Making up an excuse to make Revan and/or the Exile as level one again would be LAME LAME LAME as well!

c) You are alienating many potential new customers who haven’t played KotOR and/or TSL, who don’t know who Revan and/or the Exile are.

The characters in Sith Lords tries to resemble the ones in the first game? Hmmm...

Atton was I guess the game's version of Carth, who was KOTOR's version of Han Solo.

T3 of course returns, as do HK, Canderous and in one form or another Vrook, Carth and Bastila.

Kreia could be Bastila, though that would probably be more Atris or Lonna Vash.

Bao Dor is...Juhani's, maybe, counterpart.

Mira is based on Mara Jade, but maybe she resembles Mission a little.

Hunharr is based on Zaalbar. They're both Wookies.

Handmaiden would be Bastila actually. So who would Kreia be like? Jolee?

Diciple is based on...wait, that's all the characters.

Kavar is based on Dorak, perhaps.

I'm really struggling here, how are Sith Lords characters copies from the first game?

Why did you just ask 'how' they are copies ? you just explained it perfectly lol, they resemble K1 characters they play the same sort of role and have near the same properties as the original characters. I hope K3 is more open minded and has alot of different characters, such as a Rodian perhpas ? or any other species or character with a different agenda and personality.

@khawk - I couldn't agree with you more, i think nobody can agrue that that's the best story for K3 and would work perfectly. I would still enjoy seeing previous and past characters from K1 and TSL to see how they ended up in their future life (just how you check up on Carth in TSL.)

err....NO, maybe i can put it better, i wish that there won't be characters that 'try' to resemble previous ones Ofcoarse there can still be that species and as characters...just not in the Ebon Hawk standing around, keeping the place warm like they did in TSL. New story man!

The party members weren't all copies of KOTOR's party members, they just filled their roles. For example, Atton is the pilot and has a darker version of Carth's storyline. I myself would like less human party members, but still have at least the PC and the two main characters after that human.

The game did have a few too many nods though given the storyline what do you expect?

I wouldn't mind a slow burn, low profile type of storyline where you weren't protecting the one hope to defeat the Sith only to discover you were their former leader, or you are the last of the Jedi. Though Sith Lords did have that in a sense. How about something clever where no matter what you do it doesn't make a scrap of diffirence, like if Indiana Jones had chosen to vacation rather than hunt down the ark it wouldn't have mattered. The Nazis would find it, open it, kill themselves. Or TESB where Luke runs from training to save his friends, only for them to escape and have to come back and save them.

Also, how about the option not to play a Jedi? Let the player choose to be a soldier and have CQC or something for lightsaber combat (Daniel Craig grabbing an assailent's knife wielding arm, twisting it to their back and stabbing them comes to mind), or a crack pilot and have skills Jedi wouldn't have.

WORST IDEA EVER!

I thought TSL was much better than KotOR. Why? http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=46204&view=findpost&p=748080

I'm tempted to do a 400 word argument against that. I honestly think that KOTOR was a better and more immersive game. I actually wanted to discover more about the NPCs and help them. In TSL, I just wanted to get to the end and find out what was going with my PC. Maybe I'm just a shallow gamer, I don't know. If I'd had the option to kill Kreia at the beginning, after she got annoying, I'd have taken it. She just got on my nerves the whole game. For crying out loud, there was a bit in the crystal cave where she starts doing her telepathy thing and it disables the stealth generator. Hence I get [ganged up on] by a bunch of kinrath. Thanks.

KotOR is just the OT set in a different timeline. It’s a blink to the OT. Same story, same characters; same concepts.
Maybe, but so what? It worked. Very well, IMO.

Anyway, a new PC is a MUST. Why?

a) How can KotOR III work as a CRPG if you play as Revan and/or the Exile? How? How can it be a CRPG?

b) Playing as overpowered force gods is stupid and boring. It would be more of an action game then. No thanks! Making up an excuse to make Revan and/or the Exile as level one again would be LAME LAME LAME as well!

c) You are alienating many potential new customers who haven’t played KotOR and/or TSL, who don’t know who Revan and/or the Exile are.

a) Better me controlling Revan than the computer taking the character I spent many hours molding into what I wanted him to become and changing it. That was another reason KOTOR was better than TSL... in TSL you had to figure out the previous motives of the PC and why she was doing certain things. Revan was literally a blank slate to put your own personality on.

b) You may have a point there. But I'd like to find out. Imagine if each game had stopped at level 10, and there'd been an expansion pack with more stuff to take it to level 20. Would that have worked?

c) Ah, foiled by "business". You're right, of course. You have to make it suitable for people that haven't played the first two games. Still. I can dream ;)

I'm tempted to do a 400 word argument against that. I honestly think that KOTOR was a better and more immersive game. I actually wanted to discover more about the NPCs and help them. In TSL, I just wanted to get to the end and find out what was going with my PC. Maybe I'm just a shallow gamer, I don't know. If I'd had the option to kill Kreia at the beginning, after she got annoying, I'd have taken it. She just got on my nerves the whole game. For crying out loud, there was a bit in the crystal cave where she starts doing her telepathy thing and it disables the stealth generator. Hence I get [ganged up on] by a bunch of kinrath. Thanks.

Well, fair enough, we all have our opinions. Most people like KotOR more, but then there are some (like me) that like TSL more.

Maybe, but so what? It worked. Very well, IMO.

Yes, it worked well, but to rip off almost EVERYTHING in the OT and just set it in another timeline is not noteworthy IMO.

a) Better me controlling Revan than the computer taking the character I spent many hours molding into what I wanted him to become and changing it. That was another reason KOTOR was better than TSL... in TSL you had to figure out the previous motives of the PC and why she was doing certain things. Revan was literally a blank slate to put your own personality on.

Umm...for a start, KotOR is only better than TSL in your opinion. You do not speak for everyone else. And you seem to be missing the point entirely with the Exile.

YOU DECIDE THE PREVIOUS MOTIVES OF HIM/HER, BECAUSE YOU PLAY AS HIM/HER! Okay, so things are fixed about the Exile's backstory (just like with Revan) but at least with the Exile (unlike with Revan) I could decide my previous motives (some in dialogue sequences and some in my head), that's why I identify myself with the Exile far more. Revan has already made his/her LS/DS choice. We’ve already role-played as Revan, that’s why it would be silly to role-play as Revan again in KotOR III.

b) You may have a point there. But I'd like to find out. Imagine if each game had stopped at level 10, and there'd been an expansion pack with more stuff to take it to level 20. Would that have worked?

But then option 'a' and 'c' come into play, so nah.

c) Ah, foiled by "business". You're right, of course. You have to make it suitable for people that haven't played the first two games. Still. I can dream ;)

Yes, you can, and it's great that we can. :)

I would like to see most of the party members from K1 and K2 return, but not in the party (except for HK-47 and T3-M4). Most of them should have cameos or small roles, but Juhani should return only for her slow, agonizing death.:fire2:

As for Revan and the Exile, I think it's important that they return, to help wrap up the whole "True Sith" deal. Revan can appear in his/her mask and robes, because they look awesome, and Exile, well, just Sith/Jedi robes, depending on his/her set alignment. No Nihilus mask, nothing like that. And a voice for Revan and exile, and two faces for each (one for male, one for female). And a canon name for the exile, because it would just be lame for a name to never be revealed.

It always got on my nerves how people complain about how awful it would be to see Revan/Exile in K3 because they wouldn't look how they wanted, but I for one wouldn't sue LucasArts, renounce my religion, and commit suicide if Revan took off that mask and didn't look exactly how he did when I played as him.

c) Ah, foiled by "business". You're right, of course. You have to make it suitable for people that haven't played the first two games. Still. I can dream

If you are fan of a dreaming, I actually got a "converison" of K2 where you play as Revan, keeping most of the the same storyline. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=174978

I don't want to play as Revan or Exile in K3 because we already know their story (it will only be a hack-and-slash mod...and no actual RPing, since we already determined their character in K1 and K2). I rather create a new character and morph that character (and have that character, btw, to be the only one to stop the True Sith, but that is an seperate issue).

Yes, you have no contorl...Revan had to fly into the Unknown Regions. BUT, you still have contorl over the motives of why Revan flew into the Unknown Regions. That contorl is what I want and that is all that is necessary.

Archived