Home

Console whores

The Seeker

I'm beginning to see a trend that bothers me a bit. My favorite game series are being slighted.

It started with Call of Duty. Brilliant game. got it's start on the PC platform and revolutionized a very stale genre. Then came Call of Duty 2. Excellent gameplay, but took on a singular annoying trait of consoles: The lack of mid-level saves. In fact it's one of the main reasons why I prefer PC gaming over consoles. After all, my games are loaded onto a 250GB hard drive, so I would like to be able to save when I want rather than when the developer deems necessary. However, unlike say, Farcry, CoD2 actually did well on automatic saves so it didn't detract too much from the gameplay. But still, it was almost like they figured since they were developing for the PC and the Xbox 360, they just don't need to put in that extra smidge of coding for the PC Gamers.

Now what do we have? Call of Duty 3. The third installment of a series that without the PC simply would not exist. Yet where can it be found? EXCLUSIVELY ON THE BLOODY CONSOLES!

There is no PC version of an ultimate PC shooter. Fine, I guess, if they don't want my cash, fine by me.

So after that, I find my all time favorite series: Splinter Cell has begun it's descent into console darkness as well. After eagerly awaiting the release of Double Agent, I install it and begin to set up my controls. Only to find that certain functions like the fire buttons pre set to the mouse are unmappable. For me as a die hard Jedi Knight player, the right mouse button will always ALWAYS be jump. So I figure whatever, I can adjust to pushing shift for jump. It's not like I jump that much in SC anyway. But you know what? The lack of customization is a moot point since the game has more bugs than a New York trash can. So much so that it is unplayable. I have a top of the line gaming rig and can't load a frickin level without it crashing every other time. But no, the console-ization doesn't stop there. They have dumbed down the gameplay as well. Gone is the awsome stealth meter at the bottom of the screen that told you to the slightest degree how visible or loud you are. Now you have a green light when you can't be seen, a yellow light when you can be seen, and a red light when you have been seen. Gone is the subtle context sensitive action commands like grab character, open door, etc. Now when you have an action to do, they shove a huge icon in the CENTER of the screen so you can't miss it.

Wow. Now maybe a retarded chimpanzee can enjoy Splinter Cell as well. Assuming it can differentiate between "stealth colors" and decipher a huge frickin' picture of a door opening in the center of the screen.

It's just so nice to see that game developers are not forgetting their bread and butter that put their names on the gaming map. Hell, maybe the next Splinter Cell game will play like Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar hero where all you have to do is press a button that corresponds with a color at just the right time to make Sam Fisher look like a badass. Then anyone with a console can play.

Well, as soon as ubisoft releases a second patch that hopefully covers the crashing aspect of the game I'll feel a bit less hostile about it. But it still pisses me off that they seem to spend more time and effort to perfect the console versions, when ubisoft would be an obscure company at best without PC gamers spreading the splinter cell gospel.

Sorry for the "force long post" but I had to vent.

But it still pisses me off that they seem to spend more time and effort to perfect the console versions, when ubisoft would be an obscure company at best without PC gamers spreading the splinter cell gospel.

Hate to rain on your rant, but Splinter Cell first came out for, and was highly praised and successful on the Xbox.

I think it's really retarted that CoD 3 isn't on PC. I mean, that is where it started out, so why not keep it there?

The "Danger Meter" in Double Agent pisses me off to no end. Chaos Theory was just so perfect, then they act like everyone hates sneaking around in the dark and instead thinks it's cooler to give it a huge dose of 007 or MGS ****.

Really stupid how Lambert only talks to you like 10 times in the game, in SCCT he was always chiming in.

IMO, Double Agent should have been SCCT all over again with better graphics, larger levels, and new gagets. And since when does a secret agent get told he needs to attack a place in the middle of the day? Hello! You could just wait until later! Durr! :\

Ubi better go back to their old formula or they're just going to keep pissing off their real fans and doom a great series.

The "Danger Meter" in Double Agent pisses me off to no end. Chaos Theory was just so perfect, then they act like everyone hates sneaking around in the dark and instead thinks it's cooler to give it a huge dose of 007 or MGS ****.

Really stupid how Lambert only talks to you like 10 times in the game, in SCCT he was always chiming in.

IMO, Double Agent should have been SCCT all over again with better graphics, larger levels, and new gagets. And since when does a secret agent get told he needs to attack a place in the middle of the day? Hello! You could just wait until later! Durr! :\

Ubi better go back to their old formula or they're just going to keep pissing off their real fans and doom a great series.

You need to pick up the original Xbox version, it's more like CT.

Eh, after about the fourth in a series, games tend to get supersaturated. Final Fantasy and other notable games being the only exceptions. Once developers go down the path of "a new sequel every year!" and innovation goes out the window, the games will eventually suck and die quietly in the corner.

i absolutly hate CoD3...you lay prone behind a brick wall and yet the bullets magically fly through and kill you...

you get about 5 minutes of action and then 10 minutes of cutscene...another 5 minutes and then 10 of cutscene...that i dont like...so i turned it off and havent touched it since i bought it on its release date...

Eh, after about the fourth in a series, games tend to get supersaturated. Final Fantasy and other notable games being the only exceptions. Once developers go down the path of "a new sequel every year!" and innovation goes out the window, the games will eventually suck and die quietly in the corner.

That's why the DS and Wii were created.

The reason which i prefer PC games better than console games are the mods, for example battlefield series or half life, you buy one game and then you have like 3 or 4 cool mods that sometimes are just like a new game.

QFE.

That and the ease of multiplayer.

Not to mention that the FPS genre was made to be played with a keyboard and a mouse.

^_^

Archived