Home

Extremely Odd Windows Xp Message

Renegade Angel

All right, so I had to restart my computer today, and whenever I tried to log on, a "caution" pop-up window came up and said "The software (or hardware or something of the sort, I can't remember) on this computer has changed significantly since Windows was installed. You will be required to reactivate Windows Xp in three days". Or something like that. Alright, so I thought that was normal, although I didn't remember that ever happening before. So I clicked reactivate Windows and it came up with the activation window you get when you first install windows. I clicked activate over the internet and checked "No, I would not like to register my computer with Microsoft, just let me re activate" (once again, thats not exactly what it said...) and hit continue. So now it says that the maximum number of times this product key was activated has been exceeded (once again, it was something like that) and said that i needed to type a different key in. Different key? Alright, so I tried about 15 different programs that would look for my original key (as I had gotten a new key from Microsoft over the phone because I lost the original) and it wouldn't take them... so now I have three days to reacvtivate windows with no idea what its asking of me. Has this ever happened to anyone before or did I really screw something up?

Archived