Home

Patch Balance Thread at Petro

Naso

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1112

It sounds like the starvipers at least are going to be fixed, though that only comes out from the second dev post. Don't see anything about mass-driver damage though, just decreasing accuracy vs fighters. I posted a link to the cap-ship discussion here, since the devs do come post here, but that's probably the best place to give feedback.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIE Phantoms can go 80 seconds under cloak with 10 second cooldowns? Makes them a whole lot more interesting...

Funny how they've made a lot of balance changes to the old EaW units, like A-Wings and Corellian Corvettes. You'd think those would be all set by now.

On the whole, looks like a pretty good list, and I'm glad to see it.

These sound like a good list of changes. The A-Wing in particular should be much more worthy - it's sounds more like the dogfighting nightmare that it's supposed to be.

The business about Mass Driver losing accuracy against fighters is a godsend. Excellent. The change to the MC30 is understandable as well. Actually, every consortium change is pretty good, except the Vengenace frigate. I think I speak for most people here when I say that it didn't need to be more powerful.

But..... Rebel orbital bombardment. Hmmm. An extra 3 seconds might be all I need..... yes.... sounds good.

Overall, all of this sounds good. Well done Petro, can't wait for it ;)

Yes the changes in red are even more recent. The ISD HPs increase is minimal but better than nothing. The Ion cannon changes will be good. Its a surprise to see the Keldabe toned down and the reb troops HPs reduced. I think that is a good idea. and surprise suprise the ZC stations are getting nerfed though not substantially.

Wow, the recent changes IMO really make the patch much better. I wasn't exactly thrilled before (change seismic charge from instakill to insta-instakill, buff vengeance frigates wtf?), but a pretty heavy buff for SD health and damage, the juggernaught and a nerf to ZC space station sounds good to me.

They'll still IMO need to nerf a few things, e.g. the insanely good special ability of the Keldable or the damage of the crusader to cap ships.

Yes I fiddled with the XMLs last night according to what Petro intend to do and tested out some stuff. Since the ISDs ion fire rate has been doubled they are a bit nastier and finally have more firepower than the Mon Calamari cruiser. Although they gain only a little over 200 extra HPs (3225 total up from 2980) they are now finally tougher than the Mon Calamari (3010). Its not huge but at least its what most of us wanted and the price wasnt increased. The rear TLs on the ISD fire at a slower rate (5) than its front TLs and the TLs on the MC (all 7) which should be addressed. That would make the ISD spot on.

Crusaders are more annoying even if their health has been slashed however they have been altered to reflect what petro had in mind for them in the first place; they can now shoot down a salvo of missiles without one sneaking through. I dont mind this change at all.

Interceptor IV is much better now though I spotted in the XML when changing it that it actually has the armour of an assault frigate whereas the two comparable reb and imp craft only have light frigate armour so when Petro says ZC stuff is underarmoured it is not always true. At least now you can catch them and they can't out run torpedoes.

Engaging Keldabes and ZC stations is not as suicidal anymore. My bombers actually made it to the station to do a torp run, YAY! With such a nerf to the Keldabes ions and no price change the shield leech ability wont be touched I expect.

Some subtle and some drastic changes = we are definately getting somewhere. Dumbfounded by the improvement to the Vengeance though. I can play so cheesy with them already.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to reiterate this as I did on other threads....

Since the Imperial Star Destroyer is now stronger than a Mon Calamari Cruiser, I think it's only fair that MC's now get Hangar bays with fighters...even if its a minimal amount of fighters...

Also, the Home One needs to be SERIOUSLY IMPROVED!!! It needs more weapons (at minimum one more) and its existing weapons need to be made stronger. At the moment its nowhere near the behemoth it was in the movies, since it was stronger than other MCs and the largest of those around at the time...

The Assault Frigate and the Nebulon-B Frigate could also use a bit of a boost,as there are no MC40s and since there are so many more competitors in their category and also stronger ships which the Rebels do not have

I strongly disagree, there should be NO changes to the Mon Cal's! They work just fine, besides they aren't supposed to be super-strong. They are outfitted luxury cruisers, not battleships...

The rebel strategy is to outmaneuver the enemy, not overpower the enemy (overpowering is the imperial philosophy).

I have played as the Rebels in FOC and they work perfectly...if you know how to use them effectively.

I have to reiterate this as I did on other threads....

Since the Imperial Star Destroyer is now stronger than a Mon Calamari Cruiser, I think it's only fair that MC's now get Hangar bays with fighters...even if its a minimal amount of fighters...

Also, the Home One needs to be SERIOUSLY IMPROVED!!! It needs more weapons (at minimum one more) and its existing weapons need to be made stronger. At the moment its nowhere near the behemoth it was in the movies, since it was stronger than other MCs and the largest of those around at the time...

The Assault Frigate and the Nebulon-B Frigate could also use a bit of a boost,as there are no MC40s and since there are so many more competitors in their category and also stronger ships which the Rebels do not have

OK, I think you've overlooked a little detail: SDs cost about twice as much as MCs (or at least much more) - and the Home One owns any regular SD or Mon Cal 1on1 and is larger than the other MCs or SDs.

And why the heck should assault frigates and Neb-Bs be improved? They already own their Imperial counterparts - if at all I'd suggest a boost for the Acclamator, not for the Neb B.

I strongly disagree, there should be NO changes to the Mon Cal's! They work just fine, besides they aren't supposed to be super-strong. They are outfitted luxury cruisers, not battleships...

The rebel strategy is to outmaneuver the enemy, not overpower the enemy (overpowering is the imperial philosophy).

I have played as the Rebels in FOC and they work perfectly...if you know how to use them effectively.

I think you're overlooking game balance. In the original FoC the Imps strategy was to have unlimited fighters (well basically) while the Rebels have stronger shields - effectively making a MonCal stronger. If the SD gets stronger than the MonCal then the MonCal has no tactical advantages over the SD anymore making the game unbalanced.

And giving the stronger Rebel fighters argument isn't valid anymore because the Imps now have TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors and TIE Phantoms. That limits the Rebels immensely in terms of tactical advantages.

I think you're overlooking game balance. In the original FoC the Imps strategy was to have unlimited fighters (well basically) while the Rebels have stronger shields - effectively making a MonCal stronger. If the SD gets stronger than the MonCal then the MonCal has no tactical advantages over the SD anymore making the game unbalanced.

And giving the stronger Rebel fighters argument isn't valid anymore because the Imps now have TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors and TIE Phantoms. That limits the Rebels immensely in terms of tactical advantages.

And yes I do know how to use Rebels thank you very much! I can win with them in FoC despite the disadvantages, but the fact that they are so nerfed in this doesn't make it very much fun to use them anymore.

And Valter, your argument about them being Luxury cruisers is valid in the fact that they should be weaker than ISD's according to canon, but not valid towards whether they have a hangar or not. Either way I think MCs should receive a hangar for game balance and for canon.

OK, I think you've overlooked a little detail: SDs cost about twice as much as MCs (or at least much more) - and the Home One owns any regular SD or Mon Cal 1on1 and is larger than the other MCs or SDs.

And why the heck should assault frigates and Neb-Bs be improved? They already own their Imperial counterparts - if at all I'd suggest a boost for the Acclamator, not for the Neb B.

The reason the Frigates should be improved is because the Rebels only got two units. Granted they are both supposed to be 'Capital Ship Killers'. However, since there's also the Vengeance, Aggressor, Kedalbe, SSD and Eclipse, I think it would at least be fair if Rebel units got a boost to hold out a bit longer against all these stronger enemies. Maybe not a boost vs. Imperial ships, but definitely Consortium ships.

Even though the MC Frigate and B-Wing are there, they are still quite expensive. At 4000 credits you might as well build a MonCal and for the B-Wing...700 for only 3 of em considering the fact they get shredded by StarVipers is also not worth it.

Speaking of MonCals, I'd was thinkin of about 2 squadrons accompanying the Hangar. That way it's significantly less than the ISD but enough to keep the MonCal in the game.

So since Rebels obviously can't receive new units during a patch, I figure its only fair to tweak them a little bit.

The Acclamator doesn't necessarily need tweaking but I argue the Home One does (not necessarily in size, but I mean in weapons) because out of the four main heroes (Zann, Ackbar, Thrawn, Piett) it has no offensive weapon, only 'direct all fire' and 'boost shields' and while boost shields comes in handy, direct all fire isn't always useful. It therefore sometimes lacks the firepower to withstand a skirmish for a long time in comparison to the others, and I think maybe a proton torpedo launcher would do the trick.

Actually, even a Hangar would do it; with 1 X-Wing Squadron and 1 Y-Wing squadron (or even A-Wings or B-Wings since Ackbar created B-Wings) - it would definitely make the Home One more competitive. Plus, it would also make the 'direct all fire' option useful for Home One if its just by itself in a skirmish.

I'll tell you again, the rebel strategy in FOC is to outmaneuver the enemy, not overpower the enemy. Besides, the Mon Cal will always defeat a Imperial Star Destroyer in combat because of the "boost shields" ability.

The rebels still have some advantages in the fighter department; The B-wings can lock s-foils, rendering the fighter virtually untouchable by laser fire and increasing the Incidence of bombing runs, A-wings are better than TIE Interceptors thanks to the "lure" ability and X-wings are faster than any TIE fighter (when using s-foils).

And yes I do know how to use Rebels thank you very much! I can win with them in FoC despite the disadvantages, but the fact that they are so nerfed in this doesn't make it very much fun to use them anymore.

I agree with you here but I don't think giving Mon Cal's a hangar bay is the solution. Now THAT would cause balance problems like mass spamming X-wings and Y-wings.

And Valter, your argument about them being Luxury cruisers is valid in the fact that they should be weaker than ISD's according to canon, but not valid towards whether they have a hangar or not. Either way I think MCs should receive a hangar for game balance and for canon.

What will giving the Mon Cal's a hangar bay solve? Tell me Specifically ...

Archived