• I like winter.
    • I'm indifferent.
    • I dislike winter.
    • I hate winter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IT SNOWS IN CANBERRA? Your lucky.

Yeah, SOMETIMES it snows in canberra suburbia. Most of the time it's in the Brindabellas (The mountains that surround Canberra). I live an hour and a half north of Canberra. In a town called Boorowa (look it up, I dare you.) It actually really sucks here. I went from Salisbury (The heart of Suburbia in Adelaide) To pop. 1200 Boorowa. But back to the weather, It's SO HUMID here. (compared to Adelaide) In the winter it's absolutely freezing, (This last winter, we had sleet down the road.) And that's saying something for an Australian country town. So, in conclusion, In winter, it's bloody freezing. In summer, it's freaking humid. You can't win.

Holy crap, 52 degree's!!! No freakin way i would survive! That's just ... Argh!!! weather. And no, cant really win with the weather in Aussie can ya lol. But least in summer, you can crack out the barbie and have mates around watchin cricket ... (Ahhh ... Awesome days! lol) But thats the only good thing about summer to me.

I loathe winter. Sure, it's dark and overcast, which is great, but it's so damned cold it's not worth it. Luckily, though, we haven't gotten any real snow yet here in Southern Ontario (awl at j00 Hall). It's actually be unseasonably warm this year. And people say Global Warming is a bad thing. :xp:

In the perfect world, it doesn't snow until the evening of Christmas Eve, or the morning of Christmas Day. It just makes the holiday that much more beautiful. A time full of family, friends, and God, complete with a few inches of pure white, which to me, is a perfect symbol for Christ. What could be better?

I love it. The road outside our house is a shallow T junction (klingon empire symbol shaped) in which three higher roads slope down into. The counsil are scared to grit it in winter so there are usually a multitude of car crashes abound. We just watch out of the window with all these cars skidding and crashing. It's ace.

Oh and before anybody belms at me for being cruel. 99% of the population where i live drive modded chav cars with ridiculous plastic addons that smash to smitherines in a crash. All the more fun.

As dreadful as it may sound.. I miss the snow :(

Living in Michigan for many of my years, and others can testify, snow was a "norm". Real snow, wet, packed, actual accumulation.. of course, we were prepared for it (mostly)...

Now that I'm living in Tennessee... people here go total apesh*t if it rains hard.. :rolleyes:

godz forbid it was to actually 'snow' rather than the fluffy little sprinkles they get here (if lucky)... it's hard enough driving without having to worry about 50,000 people rushing to hoard all the bread and milk that can be salvaged from the market :lol:

However, i agree with Skye.. after the holidays, the scenery is just dreadful. At least with snow, it looked the part.. here in TN, it's just plain cold, snow-less and dead :(

O' the weather outside is frightful

But the fire is so delightful...

No snow down here on the Bayou. Last night the temp was in the mid 60s (Fahrenheit). We've gotten snow before, but very little.

Now fog is a different story. That we have lots of. I believe it has to do with living so close to the Gulf of Mexico.

It gets into the 30s sometimes down here but with Louisiana's natural humidity, it feels a lot colder. I've known a few Canadians who come down here thinking "Oh, its 55 degrees outside. Nah, I don't need a jacket," only to be thinking "No way its 55 degrees. Its got to be 45 or colder," ten minutes later.

Humidity,got to love it...

Living inTexas on the coast, we really don’t have much of a winter. Christmas day I’m usually wearing shorts. I may wear a jacket 3 to 4 times a year. Other than ski trips, I’ve only seen snow 3 times in my 42 years and only had one white Christmas in my lifetime. Two years ago it snow about three feet, we even had snow on the beach. I voted I liked winter, but only because I don’t have to mow the grass and my electric bill is a lot lower.

Winter is great! How can you NOT love it? Firstly everything gets lighter and the days seem longer, as it is white, secondly you can ski, of course there is Christmas and, i don't know about you but snow takesthefall depression away from me. Only thing that sucks is that there is no winter where I live! Evil Chinise! Give us back our snow, you bastards!

godz forbid it was to actually 'snow' rather than the fluffy little sprinkles they get here (if lucky)... it's hard enough driving without having to worry about 50,000 people rushing to hoard all the bread and milk that can be salvaged from the market :lol:

:rofl: I've always wondered why just milk and bread? I'd be out there buying coffee and Diet Pepsi, too.

Reminds me of a story from when we lived for a year in SE Texas on the Gulf Coast....

Picture it: Middle of January. An arctic high has worked its way down to the Gulf Coast. It's 50 F, not a cloud in the sky, gorgeous day and fabulous to me (being a good Wisconsinite), so I'm wearing a sweater and light jacket while everyone else has on parkas (no joke! Parkas when it's 50!). The news comes on, and the lead story: "The Low for tonight is going to be below 30 degrees!!!" They show stores being bought out of, you guessed it, milk and bread. Not making any connections between the 2, I thought this was quite strange, but headed off to work thinking that winter was great in SE TX if this was as bad as it gets for the winter.

At work, the entire office was abuzz. "Did you see the stores? They were packed!" "Yeah, I got the last loaf of bread." "I had to buy a couple half-gallons of milk because they ran out of the regular gallons" "Wal-mart still has bread if you don't mind whole wheat or rye" "I'll cover you for lunch if you need to go buy some milk and bread!"

Now, I became very confused. Why were people running to the stores to buy milk and bread? Was there some mid-January holiday in SE TX where all the stores were going to close? It was my first winter there, it could have been some Texas thing I didn't know about. So, I consulted my trusty expert on SE TX cultural affairs, the optician named Julie, who had lived there all of her 20 years of life.

Me: "Hey, Julie--what's going on today?"

Julie was putting on her parka. "I gotta run to the store real quick to get milk and bread. Do you want me to pick you up some?"

Me: "No, thanks. I still have a half loaf left at home."

Julie: "That might not be enough. You sure you don't want me to get you one? Really, it's no trouble."

Me: "Oh, no, thanks. That's sweet of you to offer. Tell me though, why is everyone buying milk and bread? Are all the stores going to close tomorrow for something?"

Julie looked stunned that I apparently didn't have a clue. "Haven't you heard the news?"

Me, wondering what the news had to do with milk and bread: "I did hear something on the radio on the way to work today, but it didn't sound too exciting, and I didn't hear why the stores will be closed."

Julie's pitying look at my cluelessness got deeper. "It's going to get below 30 tonight!"

Me, thinking that it was incredibly strange that it was major news that it was going to be below freezing that night, because, after all, it gets below 30 on a regular basis in WI and it's never been news there: "Ohhkaay, it's going to be below freezing tonight. Is there something important about that?"

Julie's look indicated she clearly thought I was dense. "You don't understand. When it gets below freezing, it can snow!"

Now, it took every single fiber of my being not to burst out laughing in her face, because I knew that on a clear Arctic high day, the chance of it snowing was, well, a snowball's chance in Hell. And the chance of it actually sticking and accumulating was even smaller. The milk and bread thing suddenly made sense. "Julie, I _guarantee_ you it will not snow. If for some supremely bizarre reason it does snow, it'll be gone by tomorrow afternoon anyway, because it's supposed to be above freezing for the high. It'll all melt."

Julie looked dubious. "We can't drive on snow here. This way, if it does snow, we'll have enough milk and bread for several days."

Me: "Trust me. I grew up in WI with lots of snow. It absolutely will not snow when we're in the middle of an Arctic high. There's not even a cloud in the sky."

Julie: "You sure you don't want me to buy you a loaf of bread?"

@Jae What do you expect. Someone spits on 610 (a loop around the middle of Houston) and it ties of traffic for an hour. People around here can not drive in bad weather (or at all for that matter). You'd think with all the rain we get they would become experts at driving in bad weather. If someone pours out a cup full of ice on a bridge, the police shut down the bridge for 24 hours. I don't know how many times I've had to drive 45 mins out of my way because DPS shut down a bridge they was perfectly passable 10 mins earlier.

If the weather is really bad, say from a tropical storm, I'm not going out for milk and bread...beer maybe...but never milk and bread.

I've always wondered why just milk and bread? I'd be out there buying coffee and Diet Pepsi, too.

Reminds me of a story from when we lived for a year in SE Texas on the Gulf Coast....

:lol::rofl::lol:

I'm laughing because the truth hurts.. hehehe... That is exactly what people do around here.. it boggles the mind. What's even funnier is that some people will actually put chains on their tires for only a few inches of snow around here :eek:

It's no wonder there are so many potholes in the roads down here in the South.. :disaprove .. hehehe

If the weather is really bad, say from a tropical storm, I'm not going out for milk and bread...beer maybe...but never milk and bread.
Amen brother.. hehehe

@ Jae My Brother lives in Dallas. He's from up here but, it tickles him to death at how crazy everyone gets when the temp. drops near freezing.

It's like an alien invasion or a meteor is heading for us. It's partly because of just plain old ignorance. It seldom freezes there so why would there be a need to teach winter safety and cold survival?

I still don't get the whole milk and bread thing though.

My brother also told me horror stories of times when it rains then quickly freezes down there. Most people aren't use to driving on ice, actually it's dangerous anywhere, but especially where people have little knowledge.

Can you say freeway, multi-car, pile-ups? He's a semi-truck driver and has seen quite a bit on the roads.

Me, myself personally I don't think I'd enjoy living without the change of seasons. That includes old Grandad Winter. Even though I'm responsible for removing massive ammounts of snow and I spend alot of time outside in the winter, I still love it. I love skiing although I don't get to ski as much as when I lived in Colorado.

There's nothing like a hot mug and a hug after engaging in some frosty activity.

@mimartin Beer is the only thing worth stockpiling.

Living in Michigan for many of my years, and others can testify, snow was a "norm". Real snow, wet, packed, actual accumulation.. of course, we were prepared for it (mostly)...
I like in MI right now so I'm used to a ton of snow. Actually we haven't gotten any snow that's stuck yet this year, it's probably the latest in the year we've gotten without having snow on the ground for a while... But I like winter, I like the Christmas season, and I like basketball season, so it's a pretty fun time of the year for me.

i like fall cause the leaves fall off the trees and it looks so beautiful, plus hunting season begins so thats one of the reasons i like it. spring sux cause it tends to rain all the time, living in florida for 5 years gave me a great distaste for rain anywhere else. Winter would be my second favorite because i enjoy the snow, but it's not 1st because i lived in upstate new york for 5 years prior to living in florida, so got way too much snow there...as for summer, florida was enough sun and humidity for a lifetime.

<---- Stuck in Phoenix Arizona. We don't have winter.

<---- Stuck in Prescott Arizona, we have the worst winter I've seen, it's cold, dry, no snow, windy, and cold. I'm stuck here for college, and it sucks, I do like the Christmas holiday season, though I could do without the constant battering of Christmas tunes on the radio. I'd still rather have Christmas at home (in Hawaii), where the only thing that changes is like a 5 degree drop in temperature and we get better waves during winter, so there really isn't much to complain about at home.

Especially the songs done and remade by Elvis Presley and other old people who shouldn't have ever been allowed to sing, which the station was playing.
I wouldn't go there man, to say Elvis should never have been allowed to sing... maybe not X-mas tunes... maybe, but you can't say the white king of rock and roll should never have been allowed to sing...

I love winter. It's my favorite time of the year. And it's so much easier to get warm in winter than it is to cool down a bit in summer...and not to mention Christmas. I live in Tennessee and down here it's perfect right now. High 30s to low 50s...it's great. And another great thing is that it's opposite my new least favorite season summer which recently has brought multiple 100+ degree days....it disgusts me.

Archived