Home

Teenagers just keep getting younger...

DarthAve

What are your opinions on this issue?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What are your opinions on this issue?

• There's definatly a problem. Somthing needs to be done about this
    • I don't think there's a problem at all, just kids being kids
    • I don't really care, cause I don't plan on having children.
    • ot exactly sure, let's see what it's like in a few years...

Now the way you phrased the question that time makes it very very slightly less of a straw-man. Therefore:

Your words. "Being emotionally involved in something typically makes you LESS logical, Nancy. Therefore your opinion would probably be LESS valid if you were over-emotional. It's called "bias". So does that mean that Cindy Sheehan "Being emotionally involved is LESS logical, and therefore her opinion would be LESS valid because she is over-emotional and "biased"?
Nope. Her (anti-war) opinion is the correct one to hold. It is after all possible to hold the correct (rational) opinions even when you're seriously emotionally involved.

After the death of her son, she could easily have gone the other way and screamed "kill all Iraqis", but she didn't. She's campaigning for peace.

(Cindy Sheehan is, for those that don't know, an anti-war campaigner whose son died fighting in Iraq.)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your words. "Being emotionally involved in something typically makes you LESS logical, Nancy. Therefore your opinion would probably be LESS valid if you were over-emotional. It's called "bias". So does that mean that Cindy Sheehan "Being emotionally involved is LESS logical, and therefore her opinion would be LESS valid because she is over-emotional and "biased"?
Perhaps I can intervene and attempt to point out how you are misrepresenting what Spider has said.

First. The word typically is an important part of his sentence. Typically does not mean always, and therefore does not mean emotional involvement means lack of logic. Secondly, he uses the term less logical as opposed to illogical. Again, this does not mean anyone with an emotional bias is completely illogical and invalid, and even does not mean someone with an emotional bias is being at all illogical. These are things that should be analyzed on a case by case basis.

In the case of Cindy Sheehan, I honestly haven't paid enough attention to know whether or not she's being rational or irrational.

The mods would disagree with you on this.
ORLY?

Also, it's generally bad form to accuse someone you are debating against of some kind of logical fallacy when they haven't actually committed one.

Given the recent tidal wave of off-topic posts and flames This thread is closed for the time being.

I've deleted the last 18 posts and would've have deleted more had ET Warrior not posted. Since he and Skinwalker are the moderators of this forum, I will leave it to their discretion to reopen the thread or not.

Please let this be a reminder that the Senate is for serious discussion and debate and the participants are expected to restrain themselves accordingly.

Archived